• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unofficial Powers and Abilities Addition Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda disagree. Maxwell does that and it strikes me more as directly adding the concept to something

Really though, information manipulation and concept manipulation would overlap

The standards of conceptual manipulation are currently changing the concept itself to trigger a change in the objects associated with the concept. I don't think adding new qualities to an object automatically implies directly altering a concept.

Adding a concept to an object doesn't actually manipulate any concepts. It just adds a concept to a single object.

I mean

If you throw a fireball at something, that's still fire manipulation even if you aren't controlling the heat or colour of the flame.

I don't see why adding concepts to something directly wouldn't be concept manipulation.

I do sometimes wonder if our current standards on conceptual manipulation are a bit too restrictive. But there's nothing I can do about it (or am eager to do about it, more accurately)

Right now it says concept manip's just for manipulating, creating, and/or destroying concepts, not applying existing concepts to new objects.

This could be changed through a simple CRT.

Monarch Laciel said:
I mean

If you throw a fireball at something, that's still fire manipulation even if you aren't controlling the heat or colour of the flame.

I don't see why adding concepts to something directly wouldn't be concept manipulation.
I think the analogy would be less throwing a fireball at someone and more throwing a person into a fire. You aren't manipulating the concept but rather someone's relation to a concept.

Well, even having a firey sword is considered Fire Manipulation, afaik.

There are so many ways a person could be set on fire that I don't think it is.

If you are talking about making a person spontaneously combust, I still don't think that's equatable to adding a new description to someone. The important part of conceptual manipulation is that you manipulate the abstract concept itself and making someone "round" wouldn't really imply producing the abstract idea of "roundness" inside someone like how making someone burn would imply producing flames inside someone.

Just so that I'm clear, this is only directed at the analogy of setting someone on fire, nothing else.

Speaking of, there's an ability I made up that I wonder what it would classify as.

What power would directly altering the combustibility of a material be? The molecular or atomic composition of the material doesn't get tampered with but it can be made to combust out of nowhere even in vacuum.

"Property manipulation" if it gets made would describe this ability well, but are there pre-existing abilities here that can include it already?

Some Medaka Box characters have something that seems similar to me. The fundamental mechanism in this case is considered Word Manipulation and Reality Warping, but the applications are:

Turning any "thick" material "hot": Heat Manipulation and Elemental Manipulation

Erasing fire by combining it with water, no matter how little water there is compared to fire, as long as there's more fire than water: Elemental Manipulation

Turning ice (but no other frozen substance) into water, no matter how far below the point of freezing it is: Transmutation

These all similarly manipulate the properties of something without tampering with the composition in the way you'd normally need to to get that result. For now, that power would just need to go under Reality Warping, but it might just need a page.

Bobsican said:
Are you sure about that? The power is common enought to deserve its own subcategory
Even though being a skilled marksman or swordsman is really common in fiction, it doesn't get it's own subcategory of Weapon Mastery because there's not really a point in giving it one.

Bubble Manipulation is just limited Water Manipulation. It's not treated as having its own distinct resistance from Water Manipulation, it doesn't have special applications. It's like having a page for Fireball Creation.

We have a Sword Users category at least for that one, unlike for the Bubble´s case, which often functions way different than what conventional water manip would.

A Bubble Users category doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I think Promestein's usually leading category-related matters, maybe ask her about it?

Antoniofer said:
I though that hijack was more about interrupting/altering another's power and/or using it as its own without absorbing it. Either way, wouldn't be a thing.
For example, if you used it on Jotaro Kujo, you would be able to move Star Platinum in a 2 metre radius around Jotaro.

Mmm, I feel like Power Modification should have been called Power/Superpower Manipulation and it would cover more applications, now it seems like it only quite limited. What character can hijack (in the context fashion) the power of others by the way?

Many people here seem fine with just giving it a category, you should probably just go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back