• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sans doing 30 damage, is completely separate from INV frames
INV frames only affect Frisk's ability to take damage, not Sans's ability to give it

Sans never takes 30 HP with a single bone attack, he stacks the damage, this is the difference.

No it's still straight up AP, he does a raw 30 damage per second

KARMA is separate from Sans's raw DPS, and is its own method of damage over time
he does not do that much damage that is goofy 😭
it stacks sans does 1 damage but every attack he does stacks
funny bone man just aint that guy buddy

Yes it's called DPS, as in Damage dealt within the timeframe of a singular second
DPS has no bearing on AP, it just means you can do that much damage in a one-second timeframe.

X character can throw 50 punches in 1 second, and his regular punches are 1 megaton, but does that mean they scale to 50 megatons? No, it just means that they can throw 50 punches that are 1 megaton in 1 second. The additive force may be 50 megatons, but they don't scale to it because they used a lot of punches to get to that result.

Same thing for Sans here. His attacks each do one damage, but because they do one damage every single frame, he can knock off 30 HP in a second because of a lack of INV frames. That doesn't mean he scales to that value, though, that's just the effect of his attacks.

DPS has no bearing on AP, it just means you can do that much damage in a one-second timeframe.
Except Sans is so powerful due to the sheer amount of damage he can deal within a single second
That and we will downgrade feats if they were overtime, as we mostly scale people on their per second energy output

And also the Gaster Blasters are just a singular beam

Durability Negation.
No, that's Attack Negation Negation, as in the negation of the negation of attacks
INV frames are not durability, they simply negate attacks from hitting Frisk, aka Attack Negation
INV frames give Frisk Attack Negation, so Sans negating INV frames are Attack Negation Negation not Durability Negation, but that's for another thread to deal with

It would be durability negation if Sans just straight up killed Frisk instantly

INV frame negation have absolutely no bearing on Sans doing 30 damage, it just means "Frisk" will take all of that 30 damage

Yes, either that or something like KARMA, which deals damage outside of raw attack power. That is what durability negation is

At worst this is Invulnerability negation, but NOWHERE near Durability Negation, even then neither of those hax actually counteract Sans doing a raw 30 damage

Sans's attacks, excluding Karma, deal 1 damage per frame of contact.
Undertale runs at 30 frames per second.
Don't we often measure AP/Striking Strenth by output per second, as shown when we consider timeframes for calculations?

As mentioned, KARMA is the purple, poison-like effect, which has its own timer system in the gameplay, & which is described as something they can feel or felt.
INV is Invulnerability/Invincibility frames. Frames that the SOUL has after being hit by an attack where it is temporarily invulnerable to attacks. IIRC.

Sans attacks ignore INV frames, HOWEVER, the speed at which KARMA drains (Dealing damage as it drains) is influenced by INV. More INV makes it drain more slowly.
AFAIK, INV frames aren't relevant for Sans's other attacks.

So do we not measure the power as per second?

I mean, Sans's bones, & thus, his actual power is technically just 1 per 30th of a second OF CONTACT.
I was mostly talking about Chara,
Frisk gets determined by the most basic things, I think the training would have gotten them pretty determined tbh
That's pretty much headcanon with 0 basis, you're being overly nitpicky here.

It was only a cooking session with Undyne, not a fighting training lmao.
Regarding the matters in these quoted posts, I'm with Adem.

Frisk does get Determined over basic things, as shown exhaustively by the Save Points.

Playfully crinkling through leaves.
Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese
The convenience of a lamp
Knowing the mouse might one day find a way to heat up the spaghetti
The "simple fact" that "Snow can always be broken down and rebuilt into something more useful.".
Knowing the mouse might one day extract the cheese from the mystical crystal
The sound of muffled rain on the cavetop
The wooshing sound of steam and cogs
The smell of cobwebs filling the air

Based on the mundanity of things that fill Frisk with Determination, I could believe that Undyne's intensive cooking lesson (With the violence on the fruit, intense stirring, etc.) would fill them with Determination, especially when this is so comparatively intense.

You're now saying that Sans has more AP than Papyrus. Gotcha.
In a technical sense, when accounting for how we measure it, yes.
But only in the sense that we often measure output per second & Sans does 1 damage per frame of contact in a 30 frames per second game.
(& his attacks don't always make contact for all 30 frames anyway.)
Not on a fighting degree.
All of those are from Save Points. Determination restores Frisks HP, & we accept that Determination amplifies Frisks's stats.
Hopes & Dreams, IIRC, are also generated by Determination in Asriel's battle & also both restore HP.

Almost all of them heal Frisk fully & use the SAME phrasing, that being "fills you with Determination" implying that the Determination providing from playing in the leaves or thinking about mice eating cheese is little different from the Determination providing from the shadow of the ruins looming above or the elevator to the King's castle.

I'd say it's quite clear ALL of those mundane things fill Frisk with Determination in a fighting manner.

Even if how Determined Frisk becomes varies throughout the route, their in-game stats -The crux of this CRT- never change throughout the Pacifist Route.

"The relaxing atmosphere of this hotel... it fills you with determination."

They're fully healed by that, their stats unchanged, despite that wouldn't Hotland level Determination Frisk should be strong.

Perhaps earlier things provide them less Determination, but the phrasing doesn't imply that, the context doesn't often imply that (Ex: "Seeing such a cute, tidy house in the RUINS gives you determination." )

Frisk is definitely stronger with Determination, & the amount provided may differ at points according to how we rate Frisk at different points throughout the route, but all the SAVE Point things fill them with Determination sufficiently to heal them to full HP, something essential for battle, healing being something Determination like that found in the Asriel battle, & the description of the Determination providing being uniform, in my opinion means that if such mundane things fill them with Determination, which is surely in a fighting-relevant degree, then surely Undyne's intense cooking lesson would definitely also fill them with Determination!

Forgive my asking, please, but would you be willing to clarify about which matters?

This thread is over 150 posts &, call me selfish or obstinate, but the post immediately prior to yours was mine responding to Strym about a matter in this thread.
I read it. I don't agree with your assessment at all, because you are focusing on the "per second" aspect too much. Sans is doing the equivalent of multiple different attacks at once. But his individual attacks is what we would measure, which would be Atk value 1. That's why I agree with Strym, pretty much on everything.

I read it. I don't agree with your assessment at all, because you are focusing on the "per second" aspect too much. Sans is doing the equivalent of multiple different attacks at once. But his individual attacks is what we would measure, which would be Atk value 1.
Despite that it would be 1 bone -Not multiple of them- hitting 30 times, across a period of contact in time?
That's why I agree with Strym, pretty much on everything.
Including on the matter of if Frisk could be assumed to be Determined or not as a result of Undyne's cooking lesson considering the history of what makes Frisk Determined?

Regardless of your answers, thank you for clarifying.

Despite that it would be 1 bone -Not multiple of them- hitting 30 times, across a period of contact in time?
Correct. Think of it like a tornado, which applies energy over time. We would only measure the initial output and that's it. The initial output of Sans' attacks are Atk value 1. That's what we measure.

Including on the matter of if Frisk could be assumed to be Determined or not as a result of Undyne's cooking lesson considering the history of what makes Frisk Determined?
Without a direct statement, I would take your theory with a pinch of salt by how UT works in the first place. They always give direct mention of the things Frisk gets determined from. They didn't mention this got them determined, why assume it did?

Without a direct statement, I would take your theory with a pinch of salt by how UT works in the first place. They always give direct mention of the things Frisk gets determined from. They didn't mention this got them determined, why assume it did?
Tbh frisk getting determined from a literal mouse kinda makes it stupid to assume they wouldnt be determined to be friends with Undyne the person that wants to kill them the most

Tbh frisk getting determined from a literal mouse kinda makes it stupid to assume they wouldnt be determined to be friends with Undyne the person that wants to kill them the most
Not my point. The game didn't say it, I don't agree with applying speculation to the profile. Simple as that.

Correct. Think of it like a tornado, which applies energy over time. We would only measure the initial output and that's it. The initial output of Sans' attacks are Atk value 1. That's what we measure.
This makes sense. Thank you.
Because many of the things Frisk becomes Determined from are -or seem- much more mundane & much less intense than Undyne's cooking lesson. & Frisk also becomes Determined from more intense things. (Like the ominous shadows of the looming ruins, the elevator to the king & other things.)

My opinion is that Frisk is characterized with a seemingly very low intensity/non-mundanity threshold to become Determined, so it would be reasonable for them to become Determined there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back