• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Undertale 0-3 ATK/DEF Buff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sans is explicitly being noted to be able to deal just 1 damage due to him being the "easiest enemy" and being 1 ATK/DEF, so him being still somehow in the same tier as those is just stupid tbh, as his physical weakness is the most peculiar thing about him.

Also Shyren takes 3 hits from us before dying, which makes me think that stats are genuinely inconsistent as ****... Maybe @Roachman40 was right in disagreeing with it being the only basis.

I'd be more inclined into nulling the 8-B scaling for 4-17 and give it back to 18 and above at this point, given that it'd lead to weird shit like this.

"But aren't Undyne and Muffet's dura 8-B off this too"? Well they can take like 8 hits before going down, and mostly importantly, they're bosses, who have more narrative importance than those randoms.

Am I cruel for turning this in a downgrade? Pretty much, but I realized a bit too late the implications of this wack scaling.
It isnt inconsistent, Sans could be in the same tier as Asgore, only way lower. We don't know how big the gaps between stats are so there is no reason to think it would be wrong to put them in the same tier.
A character can be massively weaker than other character and still be in the same tier

We shouldn't null the 8-B scaling for 4-17 stats, it was already proved they should scale to 8-B too, monsters with lower stats can harm characters with higher stats and they should scale to them.

It isn't weirder to think all characters from 0 should become 8-B than to think a character with 17 stats is 9-A but one with 18 is 8-B

It isnt inconsistent, Sans could be in the same tier as Asgore, only way lower. We don't know how big the gaps between stats are so there is no reason to think it would be wrong to put them in the same tier.
A character can be massively weaker than other character and still be in the same tier

We shouldn't null the 8-B scaling for 4-17 stats, it was already proved they should scale to 8-B too, monsters with lower stats can harm characters with higher stats and they should scale to them.

It isn't weirder to think all characters from 0 should become 8-B than to think a character with 17 stats is 9-A but one with 18 is 8-B
Sans physical weakness doesn't disappear just because he is in the same tier as Asgore, he is still massively below him, but still on the same tier

It's mostly due to potrayal. Sans being somehow still comparable to the strongest monsters is definitely nonsensical and breaks the verse's narrative.
Frisk could harm Photoshop Flowey despite being far lower (and don't pull the "but PF is only x6 stronger" as the SOUL boost is exponential, Flowey is waaaaay above x6).
Fiction is this fucky tbh. Dragon Ball has this kind of weird tier gaps iirc.

It's mostly due to potrayal. Sans being somehow still comparable to the strongest monsters is definitely nonsensical and breaks the verse's narrative.

Frisk could harm Photoshop Flowey despite being far lower (and don't pull the "but PF is only x6 stronger" as the SOUL boost is exponential, Flowey is waaaaay above x6).

Fiction is this fucky tbh. Dragon Ball has this kind of weird tier gaps iirc.
I mean, Asgore could be hundreds of times stronger than Sans and both of them could still be in the same tier, it really isn't nonsensical. Sans was stated to be the easist enemy and all but that doesn't mean he is 7 trillion tiers below Asgore. + I already told we don't know how big the gaps are between the stats.

Wasnt it because Frisk had help from the human souls? Plus, I don't think this applies here, because lower characters can deal multiple hits in stronger characters and the lower characters are able to tank a few hits too, so it would be stupid if there was a huge tier difference between them.

I mean, Asgore could be hundreds of times stronger than Sans
8-B/100 is not 8-B lol.
Wasnt it because Frisk had help from the human souls?
They could still deal 1-2 damage to him without said help.
Cant I just say Sans and Asgore are in the same tier and just say its because fiction is this fucky sometimes?
I mean if you wanna do something like this then go ahead lmao.
I just reached Shyren, Papyrus kept folding me lol
This is why you have to use Flowey's time machine tbh.

Ok. But couldn't I still argue Asgore is tens of times stronger than Sans while both are at 8-B? Again, stats arent linear and the gaps are unknown, so I can argue the difference between their power fits in 8-B.

And this being weird wouldn't be a problem, because like I said before we can argue the difference still fits for the tier

Weaker characters damaging and tanking attacks from stronger characters and being in way lower tiers than them is more "fucky" than sans being in the same tier as Asgore imo

Also, if we wanna go by pure feats...
They have no feat that is remotely close to 8-B whatsoever.
Ok. But couldn't I still argue Asgore is tens of times stronger than Sans while both are at 8-B? Again, stats arent linear and the gaps are unknown, so I can argue the difference between their power fits in 8-B.
Just check from where 8-B starts man... It begins at 11 Tons, and the feat we're talking about is 17 Tons.
And this being weird wouldn't be a problem, because like I said before we can argue the difference still fits for the tier
Consistency comes first though.
Weaker characters damaging and tanking attacks from stronger characters and being in way lower tiers than them is more "fucky" than sans being in the same tier as Asgore imo
It just means the verse does not treat the difference in tiers like real-life does.

If no one has any arguments to help me then I guess I will close my thread
Nah nah we continue arguing, given we're still discussing about the downgrade now.

Going to call some staff here for this.
Flowey is kinda in a nebulous area scaling-wise, we just really know that he can nearly one-shot an off-guard BoG Frisk and is far inferior to Asgore.
This is a nothingburger tbh.
And on the bright side, sans being 8-B would remove the inconsistency of him SOUL haxing a SOULess being.
Inconsistency? I'd call it more a feat for Sans' hax.
sans can also deal 1 damage to Genocide Frisk with his full-force telekinesis, so I guess that sorta counts?
Frisk also deals 1 damage to Photoshop Flowey too.

Nah nah we continue arguing, given we're still discussing about the downgrade now.
If I cant argue they scale 8-B because they can harm 8-B characters or can survive attacks from 8-B then how am I supposed to prove they are 8-B? Harming a 8-B or survive their attacks would usually be enough

If I cant argue they scale 8-B because they can harm 8-B characters or can survive attacks from 8-B then how am I supposed to prove they are 8-B? Harming a 8-B or survive their attacks would usually be enough
Tbh that's off the verses not following this kind of scaling system, only Dragon Ball does as far as I am aware.

Anyway yeah, this is very tricky as Dragon Ball also makes character downscale if their power level is close enough/they have feats of fighting back these characters. I'll have to think a reasonable way about this.
Unless sans has Nonexistent NPI, it sorta defies all logic.
Giygas also can mindhax mindless stuff. So nah.
And Frisk deals no damage to Box Mettaton.
A far weaker Frisk*

Tbh that's off the verses not following this kind of scaling system, only Dragon Ball does as far as I am aware.

Anyway yeah, this is very tricky as Dragon Ball also makes character downscale if their power level is close enough/they have feats of fighting back these characters. I'll have to think a reasonable way about this.
Can't we say they are At least 9-A, possibly 8-B at most?

Can't we say they are At least 9-A, possibly 8-B at most?
My main problem with this is that Undertale is a videogame, thus it works under the issue of fodder enemies being able to deal chip damage to the playable characters despite them having no business being comparable to the bosses (something that Sans makes a reference to, remember), meaning that we're going in very muddy waters given that Undertale blends a lot game mechanics and canon lore.

Honestly I have no idea, I can see Sans being a "At most 8-B" tbf, it just feels weird.

, I can see Sans being a "At most 8-B" tbf, it just feels weird.
If so then would the others 0-17 be at most 8-B too?

Being weird is not a problem, because again we can say its weird a character with 17 stats being 9-A but a 18 one being 8-B

My main problem with this is that Undertale is a videogame, thus it works under the issue of fodder enemies being able to deal chip damage to the playable characters despite them having no business being comparable to the bosses (something that Sans makes a reference to, remember), meaning that we're going in very muddy waters given that Undertale blends a lot game mechanics and canon lore.
But Frisk at their weakest has worse stats than the fodder enemies, so them damaging Frisk wouldn't be a problem.

We can just argue the high-tier monsters are stronger than the low tiers by a small difference

Plus, they are only far weaker than the bosses because the bosses have way more HP, Papyrus has 680 HP but if he had like 100 HP he would lose to monsters like Final Froggit

If so then would the others 0-17 be at most 8-B too?

Being weird is not a problem, because again we can say its weird a character with 17 stats being 9-A but a 18 one being 8-B
Yeah... It's a weird thing as some verses do scale mobs to boss' tier (eg. Kingdom Hearts)...

I'd need to think more, put me as neutral until I get a final stance.

Tbh a way to properly see through this is just seeing what is mostly consistent about their durability, as HPs aren't exactly the most reliable metric.

Seeing just how many hits those characters take before dying:
As you can see, 4 DEF and above basically never get one shot, while we have 4 cases of it with 0 DEF (could add 5 with Glad Dummy, though that was a Genocide).

I'd say that Shyren and Moldsmal are outliers here. Lesser Dog I have no idea what to do tho.

Even if though... would this be a good reason to scale anyway? I mean, Asgore takes only 90 damage from us, Undying not even 900, would using ATK 0 Frisk be a genuine basis here?

It's true that Frisk's DT changes their stats depending on the monsters, but using this kind of scaling is telling that it does not change at all, and it makes bosses way harder than they're supposed to be imo.

Both Ice and Whimsun are sparing us, so I don't think those two work as examples.
Even Moldsmol what's your point.
Yeah, it basically goes to butt into the issue of "would Goombas scale to Mario" or if fodder enemies would scale to high end feats for simply dealing chip damage to the playable character.

8-B for monsters this weak feels like causing complications ngl.

Outside of this system, the only real reasons of behind why this scaling got accepted are:
  • Napstablook damaging Mad Dummy.
  • Snowdin Frisk harming Jerry.
The first might be just be a Sans case where he can still damage the 8-B Chara with his 9-A AP (aka more a case of the verse treating 9-A and 8-B as not being that far). Second instead is indeed less dubious as Frisk hits the dude many times, but Jerry is meant to be annoying for how durable he is...

Frisk also takes a similar amount of blows to take down Papyrus, mind you.

With this in mind... I think that it's just more appropriate to axe the scaling for 4-17. Why?

It'd make the scaling way less complicated, and would establish that there's indeed a gap between the characters, other than an actual power progression that Frisk does through the game (as their DT is still relevant in the narrative, this method we're using literally pretends it doesn't exist).

Though considering that Ice Cap's feat is the highest in 9-A, would 0 still backscale using this logic?

Even Moldsmol what's your point.

Yeah, it basically goes to butt into the issue of "would Goombas scale to Mario" or if fodder enemies would scale to high end feats for simply dealing chip damage to the playable character.

8-B for monsters this weak feels like causing complications ngl.

Outside of this system, the only real reasons of behind why this scaling got accepted are:
  • Napstablook damaging Mad Dummy.
  • Snowdin Frisk harming Jerry.
The first might be just be a Sans case where he can still damage the 8-B Chara with his 9-A AP (aka more a case of the verse treating 9-A and 8-B as not being that far). Second instead is indeed less dubious as Frisk hits the dude many times, but Jerry is meant to be annoying for how durable he is...

Frisk also takes a similar amount of blows to take down Papyrus, mind you.

With this in mind... I think that it's just more appropriate to axe the scaling for 4-17. Why?

It'd make the scaling way less complicated, and would establish that there's indeed a gap between the characters, other than an actual power progression that Frisk does through the game (as their DT is still relevant in the narrative, this method we're using literally pretends it doesn't exist).

Though considering that Ice Cap's feat is the highest in 9-A, would 0 still backscale using this logic?
We still dont need to axe the 4-17 scaling since they are consistent with how many hits they need to get killed, unlike the monsters with 0 DEF

And I still don't see how there would a huge gap between 4-17 and 18-beyond.
Its weird stats having a huge gap randomly between 17 and 18.

Also
(aka more a case of the verse treating 9-A and 8-B as not being that far).

Cant we use that logic every time a weaker character harms a stronger character?

It would be simplier for all monsters to be 8-B than to be a random huge gap between 17 and 18 stats

Cant we use that logic every time a weaker character harms a stronger character?
Chip damage isn't exactly the most relevant argument though.

Anyway, as I said I'm neutral, I'd be more in favor with axing it, but
We still dont need to axe the 4-17 scaling since they are consistent with how many hits they need to get killed, unlike the monsters with 0 DEF
This lowkey makes sense lol.

This lowkey makes sense lol.
Every character with at least 2 DEF has consistency with the amount of they need to get killed so I propose this:

0-1: At least 9-A, possibly at most 8-B (Undynes oven feat + some 0 def monsters can tank a few hits)
2-17: At most 8-B (Napstablook harms mad dummy + characters from 2 DEF have consistency on the number of hits to get killed)
18 and Beyond: Floweys feat

0-1: At least 9-A, possibly at most 8-B (Undynes oven feat + some 0 def monsters can tank a few hits)
Tbh 0 DEF monsters are more consistently than not shown to be one shotted, we never do "X possibly Y" when we go with inconsistent stuff.

Feat-wise 0 is also generally just 9-B to 9-A, so I'd say that Moldsmal and Shyren are outliers here.

2-17 are ok tho.

Every character with at least 2 DEF has consistency with the amount of they need to get killed so I propose this:

2-17: At most 8-B (Napstablook harms mad dummy + characters from 2 DEF have consistency on the number of hits to get killed)
18 and Beyond: Floweys feat
I know I have said this already, but Im going to repeat myself
Sans and Asgore being in the same tier is not a problem, because the gaps between stats are UNKNOWN.
You can argue a monster with 80 ATK/DEF is 1 trillion times stronger than a monster with 1 ATK/DEF and I can argue a 80 monster is only 2x stronger than a monster with 1 stats, because the gaps are unknown and it doesn't really matter.

If Sans got a 8-B calculation feat we wouldn't put Asgore in 8-A or 7-C

Tbh 0 DEF monsters are more consistently than not shown to be one shotted, we never do "X possibly Y" when we go with inconsistent stuff.

Feat-wise 0 is also generally just 9-B to 9-A, so I'd say that Moldsmal and Shyren are outliers here.

2-17 are ok tho.
So:
0-1 9-A, 2-17 At most 8-B and 18 and beyond 8-B?

Want to use also Alphys but I remember that Jerry exists.
What does Jerry have to do with Alphys being unable to get upgraded?

I honestly don't see why couldn't we upgrade her
Couldnt we at least make "At least 9-A, possibly at most 8-B"?
She should be comparable to Sans in the worst options and she should be at least stronger than Monster Kid
Not to mention she has mettaton attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back