• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tokyo Ghoul:re Discussion Thread 1

Root A?

Second season?

The "anime exclusive plot"? The one that would have screwed up the :re anime if they had tried to go along it?

That one

They aren't going along with it

Wait doesn't that mean we'd have to read Root A to get wtf is going on?

Or could you give me the major plot points the anime changed so I can hop right into it

Root A is the anime second season.

The bit from the manga that Root A replaces doesn't really have a name of its own to my knowledge.

Major plot changes:

Rather than join Aogiri and do a bunch of attacks on the CCG, break into Cochlea, then return to Anteiku for the final battle, where Hide dies of a wound and Kaneki carries his body to the CCG in a long ass walk, this happens:

SPOILER ALERT IN CASE ANYONE DOESN'T GET IT

Kaneki doesn't join Aogiri, though he still leaves Anteiku. Alongside Tsukiyama, Banjou (and his two friends) and Hinami, he begins investigating Kanou, the doctor who turned him into a half ghoul. The main sequence of events here (other stuff happens, like investigation into Rize and the one eyed king and a fight with Aogiri) includes taking down the ghoul restaurant to find Madam A, a ghoul connected to Kanou, who would later lead Kaneki to Kanou's mansion. Kanou tries to convince Kaneki to join him in the "salvation" of humanity through ghoulification. Also, Rize is revealed to still be alive, and Kanou is harvesting her regenerating organs for the ghoulification process, though Yomo shows up and steals Rize. Then the CCG shows up. At this point, Kaneki canabalises Kanou's failed ghoulification experiments and develops his Kakuja. Here, he has his fight with Arata Shinohara, Juuzou takes on the half ghoul girls with his knives and scythe, and eventually Kaneki escapes the mansion and the CCG.

Some time later, Kaneki is all depressed from going insane in his Kakuja state and almost killing Banjou. Hinami convinces him to come to an author book signing to cheer him up. Surprise surprise, it's Sen Takatsuki's book signing. Kaneki heads over to Anteiku and has his conversation with the manager about the one eyed owl and his daughter Eto.

Then the owl suppression stuff happens. Most of this plays out the same as the anime's finale, with Anteiku being attacked, Yoshimura fighting in his Kakuja and eventually being defeated, the Dog ghoul and Monkey ghoul fighting the CCG, then Kaneki shows up and saves them. He tells them to leave through the underground tunnel V14 to escape. The one eyed owl appears, fights with Shinohara and Juuzou, cutting off Juuzou's leg and incapacitating Shinohara. Kaneki has his fight with Amon, where he chops off Amon's arm, while also having most of his torso destroyed. Kaneki flees into the sewer system. Here, he starts going insane because of his Kakuja again, and Hide shows up. Hide reveals he knew that Kaneki had become a ghoul all along, and is still going to help him, telling him that he needs to go all out one more time. Kaneki blacks out. When he wakes up, Hide is gone, there is "a sweet taste" in Kaneki's mouth, and it is implied that Kaneki ate Hide.

Kaneki makes his way through V14, and finds Kishou Arima standing there amidst a mountain of ghoul corpses who tried to escape that way

"No ghoul may pass V14".

It is implied that the members of Anteiku who went that way also were killed. Kaneki fights with Arima. However, Arima defeats him, stabbing him in both eyes (because Kaneki kept fighting after only being stabbed in one) through his head. During the fight, Kaneki manages to crack IXA and scratch Arima's cheek, being the only ghoul who ever did so.

Kaneki has one of his dream state things, where he has a nice chat with his previous non-white-haired self and reflects on the events of the manga. At the very end, he has a flashback to the night the steel beams crushed Rize, and remembers something he never saw before - at the top of the building from which the beams fell, there was a ghoul in a clown mask.

Back in the real world, the One-Eyed Owl is still causing chaos. Aogiri Tree has shown up. Amon wakes up from his fight with Kaneki and meets with Seidou Takizawa (the boy who was Akira Mado's rival), where they meet with Tatara and Noro. Noro eats Takizawa's limbs, Amon begins to fight Tatara, but the fight is not shown.

Like in the anime, the CCG is getting slaughtered by the one-eyed owl, but Arima shows up and forces it to retreat. The owl grabs Yoshimura on the way, and later reveals her identity as Eto / Sen.

Aftermath is:

• 99% of ghouls in the area killed
  • Shinohara is braindead
  • Amon is missing
  • Kaneki is missing, to both ghouls and the CCG
  • Tsukiyama is starving himself out of grief at Kaneki
  • Kanou has gained a supply of ghouls (including Yoshimura) and ghoul investigators to continue his experiments
  • Arima is given "ownership and identity rights" of a new "quinque" and Kaneki's has become an unperso, with his records being expunged.
Itori, Roma (the clumsy staff girl at Anteiku) and Uta are revealed to be a group called The Clowns, who basically cause all sorts of nasty stuff to happen then sit back and watch for ***** and giggles.

Touka is all sad that Kaneki is gone. She monologues and concludes that she believes Kaneki will return one day.

Original manga ends here.:Re Starts here

Edit: Oh and there's a two page epilogue chapter that's just a lead up to :re, where Akira visits her father's grave, says the "chimera quinque" project has been approved, and that she's been assigned alongside Arima to a new division, with a "certain junior" who is "different from the others". At that moment, said junior shows up and introduces himself as Haise Sasaki.

Also, it took me hearing his name in the anime to realise Haise is pronounced "Hi say" and not "Haze"

I've been reading manga and watching anime for years I know how japanese phonetics work how did this name fly under the radar?

Tis nice

I'm conflicted about Furuta's appearance in it though.

On one hand, I like how they changed his eyes to make him go from looking harmless and nice to sinister. It was a nice touch.

However, Furuta's evil personality is something of a suprise in the manga, where he goes from a well-mannered and slightly clumsy investigator to a highly proficient cold blooded murderer who laughs while killing his allies in the space of two panels.

The OP makes it very clear that he's evil. I think it would have been better if he had been in one of those shots of multiple people at once and just had his eyes turn evil as the camera moved him out of view. That way there would have still been a hint for the manga readers, but also made it a surprise for the new comers.

I'm currently going through :re again, and thus far I've found:

• All ghouls are physically street level minimum, higher with their Kagunes. There is a difference in their AP between the two.
  • Kaneki and Arima have very blatant lightning timer feats, and I'm looking for evidence it is real electricity, something I wasn't sure about prior
  • Kaneki's Regenerationn is pretty damn fast
  • Mutsuki has 14/15 bikaku tentacles

I hope Eto suddenly regenerate then beat the shit out of Donato, unlikely I know, but given that a lot of characters that were supposedly dead started coming back, I wouldnt count out Eto just yet

Eto best gurl

All the profiles need to be updated honestly. I'm pretty sure the whole verse needs a revision.

Also, I'm questioning the 8-B ratings. I'm getting scans for a calc of Eto breaking the compactor

I mean, that image is from Chapter 109 or something. We're up to 169. And it was revealed during the Dragon arc who Scarecrow was.

Anyway, pretty much everyone needs to be 9-A at the very least based on Saiko's feat, seeing as she actually has less RC factors than a ghoul, which is what determines the Kagune's size and power. Thanks Dienomite

Eh, they're not so bad anymore.

I know Mutsuki is biologically female, have they reaccepted that they are female or still living like a man?

Also, I am still questioning the high tier's ratings. Apart from Dragon, who's 8-A is pretty clear, 8-B doesn't seem right for the others.

Rip

On the other hand, that damn Kaneki v Dio will be gone, which is great.

Anyway, I'm going to get Eto's compactor breaking feat calced hopefully.

Other than that, everyone (including investigators) will be sitting around 9-A

Something interesting I saw on the TG wiki was a note that wounds from Kagunes seem to heal much slower than other injuries. Does anyone know anything about that? Regenerationn negation is always nice.

Back