• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tohou ability downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm having a little problem with NEP2, TD 2, CM1 TOHOU.

1. [First about the concept "Name"]

As we know in the previous CRT that the concept Type 1 "Name" has been Accepted with a reason

"Because they precede reality, having formed it to begin with. As such they shouldn't be affected by what happens or what doesn't happen in reality. They define reality, but reality doesn't neccessarily define them"

But here I don't find where "Name" is unbounded by the object.

Anti feats :
-When gods are named their powers are restricted, but they receive an identity. They lose the ability to exist within anything, becoming almost the same as youkai, but in return receive an ability to be reborn by their myths.

-However, if they lose their faith, they will gradually return to their former existence. As for youkai, they disappear when forgotten, so they threaten people in order to prevent that. However for faith, it does not work the same. If a god did nothing but threaten people, it would lose faith and become a mere youkai.

At this point the "Gods" are still bound by "Faith" where if they lose faith, they will become youkai. As for the sentence

" You could say that the power to name is the creation to produce the object from nothingness"

This is too ambiguous because chaos itself does not mean purely nothingness. Because the objects there existed before the "Name" existed and they mixed up into one object

- It was a world in which all things were mixed together in chaos.
-If there were no boundaries, everything would probably exist as a single enormous object.

With this, I conclude this is Concept type 2.

2. [TRANSDUALITY type 2 & NEP2]

How can you say they have these 2 things when they can be bound by "Name". As we know that name is a concept. And the "Gods" existed before the "Name" existed. But here the "Gods" are still bound by the "Name" i mean the god is not like purely nothingness because the god already has a form, but there is no form that defines it because the "Name" doesn't exist yet
- In the beginning, the gods had a much more ambiguous shape, so they were nameless entities with no particular distinctions.

This sentence ↓↓↓ seems ambiguous. And it doesn't help anything.
-O wonderous human, who fears not even God.
The rainbow will close in just a few moments' time!

Finally, return even your life to nothing(God)!
This marks the end!

Anti feats:
-When gods are named their powers are restricted, but they receive an identity. They lose the ability to exist within anything, becoming almost the same as youkai, but in return receive an ability to be reborn by their myths.

↑↑↑Where gods can still be named, at first they don't have names but they can be given names.

With this Nep2&TD2 does not qualify, because gods only existed before "Name" existed

Conclusion:
1. "Name" from concept type 1 changed to type 2. Because "Name" is still bound by Faith.

2. NEP2 & TD2 must be removed because God only preceded "Name" but this not giving anything like immunity to concept. And the gods can still be Named.

Credit:
1. This CRT
2. And this CRT

"When gods are named their powers are restricted, but they receive an identity. They lose the ability to exist within anything, becoming almost the same as youkai, but in return receive an ability to be reborn by their myths"

Its literally why they have 2 key

Most god bounded by name because they are need it to exist which why in their primordial form they have nep2

Last edited:

Look at junko she can exist without name

Look at junko she can exist without name
Which point you rejected?

" You could say that the power to name is the creation to produce the object from nothingness"

If God can exist without name so I guess its enough for nep

A Gods true form, has no name, does not need a name, and when given a name it merely creates a single avatar with their true nature still existing.
GxRmiBJ.png

"By changing its name a god changes its nature, which is evidince a god's name is only one aspect of their selves"
unknown.png

At this point the "Gods" are still bound by "Faith" where if they lose faith, they will become youkai. As for the sentence
You should post the full context for this. The Gods simply lose that one divine virtue, not like it matters since again their primordial key is something else entirely.
unknown.png

How can you say they have these 2 things when they can be bound by "Name". As we know that name is a concept. And the "Gods" existed before the "Name" existed. But here the "Gods" are still bound by the "Name" i mean the god is not like purely nothingness because the god already has a form, but there is no form that defines it because the "Name" doesn't exist yet
Firmly disagree. I was discussing this with a friend on discord and it was made clear to me that even a name itself has a true nature.
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

"Many of these have been given names, and new meanings, making them ordinary objects."

unknown.png

TL;DR Izanagi objects are objects with a name, that aren't particularly bound by it's conception.
Which is supported by how these objects are beyond human understanding in the first place (i.e reimu's yin yang orb)
unknown.png

1. "Name" from concept type 1 changed to type 2. Because "Name" is still bound by Faith.

2. NEP2 & TD2 must be removed because God only preceded "Name" but this not giving anything like immunity to concept. And the gods can still be Named.
And one, names themselves also have a true nature, affecting the concept of death persay across touhou's reality would not change the name itself but rather what is bound by that concept/represents it.

2. Gods precede names and explicitly exist as everything and nothing, naming one would make a single aspect and their true form is unaffected. (Basically a repeat of what I said.

That's all for now, I have to go work.

I disagree, it seems more to do with the God's nature rather than the concept they embody and name.

It seems more likely that it's the God's that just lose their power rather than the concept being effected, I.E the Gods are a medium.

Other parts, I think I agree, "No particular distinctions" is very vague for Transdualism.

A Gods true form, has no name, does not need a name, and when given a name it merely creates a single avatar with their true nature still existing.
Basically, Its still can be "Named".
"Many of these have been given names, and new meanings, making them ordinary objects."
Pretty clear primordial object is capable exist without name. But i don't know what ability if object capable exist without "Name". Primordial objects can exist without a "Name", but they can also be bound by a "Name"

And one, names themselves also have a true nature, affecting the concept of death persay across touhou's reality would not change the name itself but rather what is bound by that concept/represents it.

Can you explain what is "True nature"?

2. Gods precede names and explicitly exist as everything and nothing, naming one would make a single aspect and their true form is unaffected. (Basically a repeat of what I said.
But still, it can be "Named".

I think objects or Creature Exist without "Name" only giving An Immortality.

There are many things to clarify.
But here I don't find where "Name" is unbounded by the object.

Anti feats :
Your anti-feats aren't related to the names. It just talks about how the gods interact with reality and so. But just clarifying this, well, you're misunderstanding several things.
When gods are named their powers are restricted, but they receive an identity. They lose the ability to exist within anything, becoming almost the same as youkai, but in return receive an ability to be reborn by their myths.
This is just related to gods' physical selves, which in fact are now bounded to the faith and ideas the embody when giving themselves a name. That separation of existence is already highlighted on their profiles, showing how does it exists the physical gods (the ones we know), and the primordial ones (the ones who aren't bounded by concepts). They relies on faith and myths, indeed, but that's just basically because now they are those concepts.
At the same time that the power to name is a god’s power, the gods themselves didn’t have names in the beginning. Like with Takemikazuchi no Mikoto or Hachiman, the names of the gods we are familiar with nowadays only represent but one aspect of these gods. Takemikazuchi no Mikoto was originally Mikatsuchi (Pot Spirit), and just as the name implies, he was a god lodged in a jar. When his name changed to Takemikazuchi, he changed from a god of sorcery (as implied by the ‘pot’ character) to a god of swordsmanship (implied by the ‘thunder’ character). By changing its name, a god changes its nature, which is evidence that a god’s name is only one aspect of their selves. In the beginning, the gods had a much more ambiguous shape, so they were nameless entities with no particular distinctions.
No, they don't. When they lose faith, they return to their former existence, which furthermore supports that the true god isn't affected at all by this change, as your own quote states:
However, if they lose their faith, they will gradually return to their former existence. As for youkai, they disappear when forgotten, so they threaten people in order to prevent that. However for faith, it does not work the same. If a god did nothing but threaten people, it would lose faith and become a mere youkai.
This is too ambiguous because chaos itself does not mean purely nothingness. Because the objects there existed before the "Name" existed and they mixed up into one object
I don't know, but your own quote says that they create things from nothingness.
Concepts such as chaos and mixed objects in this kind of contexts are related to nonexistence, and the fact that things without name cannot be understood just supports more this idea:
In the beginning, the gods had a much more ambiguous shape, so they were nameless entities with no particular distinctions.
And from CoLA:
The cherry-colored vampire and the red-and-white shrine maiden. If you mixed red and white, maybe you would get that cherry-pink color. But there is a big difference. The red and the white are not there to be mixed. In other words, there should be a boundary between them. Since ancient times in Japan, red and white have been used for joyous occasions, and conversely black and white are used for somber ones. It should be noted that for both, despite being on different ends, the color white is used. Putting it simply you might say the red color means a good omen, while the black means a bad omen. That's how it appears, but it’s actually not the case. The white is indeed indispensable.

In that case, what does the white indicate, you might think. Firstly, it is not recognized as a color proper. Why? It’s because it can turn into any other color, which makes it an unique type of color. If you were to give it a number, it would be "zero". On the other hand, red is the color of human blood, so it also symbolizes life. It’s the color of a human’s first perception of life, a color of genesis. You could think of it as existence itself.

So basically, red and white symbolize the distinction between existence and nothingness. That’s why the red-white boundary means “joyous”. By using red and white mutually, this border is emphasized, and the borderline represents the beginning of all things. That’s why the ancient people thought of it as a good omen.
Names/boundaries created the distinctions between existence and nonexistence, which indeed reaffirms that names itself are beyond creation and predates it, and thus, are type 1 concepts.
What you are saying is basically something akin to Type 2 Nonexistent Physiology. From the page itself:
2: Idealistic Nonexistence: The lack of absolutely everything to a state of nonexistence at a conceptual level. Such a state defies even the most basic logical principles and is unknowable in the truest form, as it is not a state at all. Such entities are typically presented as primordial voids or pure emptiness, or any abstract state which precedes or opposes the state of existence on all levels. In terms of binary, this would be something that is neither 1 nor 0, where 1 is existence and 0 is nonexistence.
Primordial gods share this attribute as they are ambiguous creatures with no particular distinction.
In the beginning, the gods had a much more ambiguous shape, so they were nameless entities with no particular distinctions.
And again, you're misunderstanding everything about how gods are separated in their profiles. The gods that we know and are now bounded to those names doesn't has the NEP, those are the Primordial gods, whose as I already explained and showed, aren't bounded by boundaries or concepts.
This sentence ↓↓↓ seems ambiguous. And it doesn't help anything.
Why it would be ambiguous? It's a direct correlation with the true nature of gods and the state of being nothing at all. There's no reason to just throw it away.
Anti feats:
↑↑↑Where gods can still be named, at first they don't have names but they can be given names.
I insist:
However, if they lose their faith, they will gradually return to their former existence. As for youkai, they disappear when forgotten, so they threaten people in order to prevent that. However for faith, it does not work the same. If a god did nothing but threaten people, it would lose faith and become a mere youkai.
At the same time that the power to name is a god’s power, the gods themselves didn’t have names in the beginning. Like with Takemikazuchi no Mikoto or Hachiman, the names of the gods we are familiar with nowadays only represent but one aspect of these gods.
By changing its name, a god changes its nature, which is evidence that a god’s name is only one aspect of their selves.
Your reasoning fails because you don't see that the gods that have both TD and NEP aren't the gods that we see throughout the games, but instead they are the gods that precede everything. These gods, as stated, aren't affected by the naming of something, since one of their aspects (the physical gods) just return to their true primordial nature when lost faith, showing once again that the primordial creatures are unfazed by things such Conceptual Manipulation.

So summarizing: No. Most of the thread just misunderstood the basic terms of the verse and entwined abilities from one key to another. I disagree.

This is just related to gods' physical selves, which in fact are now bounded to the faith and ideas the embody when giving themselves a name. That separation of existence is already highlighted on their profiles, showing how does it exists the physical gods (the ones we know), and the primordial ones (the ones who aren't bounded by concepts). They relies on faith and myths, indeed, but that's just basically because now they are those concepts.
But still, the God is can be "Named" so he bound by concept. Yeah i know if the profile got separated. But the main point is. GOD STILL CAN BE NAMED.

Concepts such as chaos and mixed objects in this kind of contexts are related to nonexistence, and the fact that things without name cannot be understood just supports more this idea:
This is true, because no one can understanding this object. Because this object still don't have a "Name".

Names/boundaries created the distinctions between existence and nonexistence, which indeed reaffirms that names itself are beyond creation and predates it, and thus, are type 1 concepts.
Don't see where Name is beyond creation and Predate the object. (about joyouz, that's good point).
I don't know, but your own quote says that they create things from nothingness.
Thats why I said, ITS not purely nothingness.
Why it would be ambiguous? It's a direct correlation with the true nature of gods and the state of being nothing at all. There's no reason to just throw it away.
God have shape, but no one can comprehend the gods. That's simple. Because primordial God don't have any "Name" but still can be "Named".
Your reasoning fails because you don't see that the gods that have both TD and NEP aren't the gods that we see throughout the games, but instead they are the gods that precede everything. These gods, as stated, aren't affected by the naming of something, since one of their aspects (the physical gods) just return to their true primordial nature when lost faith, showing once again that the primordial creatures are unfazed by things such Conceptual Manipulation.

So summarizing: No. Most of the thread just misunderstood the basic terms of the verse and entwined abilities from one key to another. I disagree.

God still can be Named. And they Will have physical form
When gods are named their powers are restricted, but they receive an identity. They lose the ability to exist within anything, becoming almost the same as youkai, but in return receive an ability to be reborn by their myths.
This is what I mean if God still can be "Named" and their power Will be restricted. This is big anti feats for NEP2.

Its same case with Primordial object. Primordial object, Primordial God initially has a form but no one can define it because "Name" is not present.

If you say if Primordial God = NEP2
this is also the same as saying that primordial objects are also NEP2

I disagree, it seems more to do with the God's nature rather than the concept they embody and name.

It seems more likely that it's the God's that just lose their power rather than the concept being effected, I.E the Gods are a medium.

Other parts, I think I agree, "No particular distinctions" is very vague for Transdualism.
why?

But still, the God is can be "Named" so he bound by concept. Yeah i know if the profile got separated. But the main point is. GOD STILL CAN BE NAMED.
But again, if they can be named or not doesn't affect them, as, logically, aren't bounded by the names, as I already showed.
This is true, because no one can understanding this object. Because this object still don't have a "Name".
So you are giving me the reason on this.
Don't see where Name is beyond creation and Predate the object. (about joyouz, that's good point).
Because names defined every border in the verse, which logically includes the border represented by the colors (existence and nonexistence):
In the beginning, nothing in this world had a name. It was a world in which all things were mixed together in chaos. However, the gods in those ancient times gave a name to every last thing, and so the orderly world we see today was born. When naming something, a new border is created that makes it recognizable as one thing. You could say that the power to name is the creation to produce the object from nothingness, clearly the same power as a god’s. And because of the strength of this power, the things themselves remember their names. And that’s why I can see those names in them.
Thats why I said, ITS not purely nothingness.
*It's pure nothingness, as it was already stated.
God have shape, but no one can comprehend the gods. That's simple. Because primordial God don't have any "Name" but still can be "Named".
So you are giving me the reason on this, again.
God still can be Named. And they Will have physical form
Which doesn't contradicts the very idea that true gods are in fact nonexistent. A nonexistent or transcendental character can create for itself a concept (or can be a concept at a beginning), but that doesn't directly mean they are truly bounded to that concept or something like that (you have Warhammer gods as an example of this). This is the same case, as, actually, the true gods doesn't change at all when they give a name to themselves. That just make one of their aspects come to the physical world, and that's all.
This is what I mean if God still can be "Named" and their power Will be restricted. This is big anti feats for NEP2.
No. I have already explained that and I don't want to continue citing the same statements time to time just to prove something that was already proved. But anyway, I will do it again:
At the same time that the power to name is a god’s power, the gods themselves didn’t have names in the beginning. Like with Takemikazuchi no Mikoto or Hachiman, the names of the gods we are familiar with nowadays only represent but one aspect of these gods.
By changing its name, a god changes its nature, which is evidence that a god’s name is only one aspect of their selves.
Again, the real gods doesn't change at all when they gain a name, so it doesn't really contradicts anything.
Its same case with Primordial object. Primordial object, Primordial God initially has a form but no one can define it because "Name" is not present.

If you say if Primordial God = NEP2
this is also the same as saying that primordial objects are also NEP2
Which is actually a thing, as the primordial objects such as Izanagi objects are from the very age of gods, and, as the same as with the gods themselves, when they gain a name just make one of their aspects to be defined in the reality, but the true things are unfazed.

But again, if they can be named or not doesn't affect them, as, logically, aren't bounded by the names, as I already showed.
Let say like this. God is Bound & unbounded by concept ( i totally agree with this). But For NEP2 is totally Immune from "concept".

if they can be named or not doesn't affect them
Actually is affecting to them
This Will be circular argument Btw. I have my own point and you have your point.

Let say like this. God is Bound & unbounded by concept ( i totally agree with this). But For NEP2 is totally Immune from "concept".
A, that's actually what they are. They are totally immune to these kind of conceptual stuff as their true beings aren't warped or directly affected when they gain a name from themselves + they existed in a primordial state beyond the boundaries that shaped the world.
And btw, even if we assume that this is the case and gods can be affected by their own names, then it's not really an anti-feat, but instead that their abilities are also capable of affecting conceptless beings. This is nothing new in fiction, as there are many instances in which someone can affect with his abilities a thing that doesn't has that specific thing they can manipulate (soulrape someone soulless, time stopping a place without time, induce death to type 5 immortals, as examples of what I've said).

Actually is affecting to
Not really. The quote refers to the physical manifestations of the gods, but not the true real ones. They're still there, and when their manifestations "dies", they just returns to the real one.

Not really. The quote refers to the physical manifestations of the gods, but not the true real ones. They're still there, and when their manifestations "dies", they just returns to the real one.
About this, for your previous CRT.

I don't see if it Avatar creation.

Avatar Creation (When giving a name to themselves, they create an avatar to interact with the physical world)
Can you give this feats? (Because i check the profile and can't found the feats.)

I mean, that's like basic logic. Because their true selves aren't physical and existed before anything was named.
Also, Doge has already provided one statement about that thing in his comment.

The whole downgrade thing relies off a true form god being named.

Which is fundamentally wrong as I provided a statement and context that a true form is always going to be ineffable to the point where naming them simply makes an avatar, never truly affecting them.

In case it wasn’t clear, I disagree with the revision.

and when given a name it merely creates a single avatar with their true nature still existing.
I don't see where is state on your pict. Can you give the sentence?
I mean, that's like basic logic. Because their true selves aren't physical and existed before anything was named.
Also, Doge has already provided one statement about that thing in his comment.
After they got named, they Have physical Body (their power is restricted+ receive an identity).

When gods are named their powers are restricted, but they receive an identity

From this sentence, i don't see why God have Avatar creation↑↑↑

After they got named, they Have physical Body (their power is restricted+ receive an identity).

From this sentence, i don't see why God have Avatar creation↑↑↑
Next time If you don't have info to debate you shouldn't debate

Unlike youkai, gods can change their own nature themselves. The stories that are created to do so are called "myths". Using these, we can freely change our own natures. Currently, I'm in the middle of creating a myth together with the humans and youkai of Gensokyo, but because I'm not receiving faith well as a mountain god, I am gradually planning to become a god of technological innovation.
is from Symposium of Post-mysticism/Part 5 too here

At the same time that the power to name is a god’s power, the gods themselves didn’t have names in the beginning. Like with Takemikazuchi no Mikoto or Hachiman, the names of the gods we are familiar with nowadays only represent but one aspect of these gods. Takemikazuchi no Mikoto was originally Mikatsuchi (Pot Spirit), and just as the name implies, he was a god lodged in a jar. When his name changed to Takemikazuchi, he changed from a god of sorcery (as implied by the ‘pot’ character) to a god of swordsmanship (implied by the ‘thunder’ character). By changing its name, a god changes its nature, which is evidence that a god’s name is only one aspect of their selves. In the beginning, the gods had a much more ambiguous shape, so they were nameless entities with no particular distinctions.
is from Curiosities of Lotus Asia/Chapter 15 here

Here
In the beginning, nothing in this world had a name. It was a world in which all things were mixed together in chaos. However, the gods in those ancient times gave a name to every last thing, and so the orderly world we see today was born. When naming something, a new border is created that makes it recognizable as one thing. You could say that the power to name is the creation to produce the object from nothingness, clearly the same power as a god’s. And because of the strength of this power, the things themselves remember their names. And that’s why I can see those names in them.
As far as we know, everything is built upon the existence of boundaries.
If there was no water surface, there could be no lake.
If there was no sky line, neither mountain nor sky could exist.
Were it not for the Great Barrier, even Gensokyo itself wouldn't exist.
If there were no boundaries, everything would probably exist as a single enormous object.
got mention in Curiosities of Lotus Asia/Chapter 15 here
And this is important Fact said by ZUN here.

I touched on it a little in Curiosities of Lotus Asia, but if I have to say it then it would be the power of the gods. A pure power from before things had names. When you give a name to something, its godly nature disappears. But she held onto that pure aspect all this time, and she can bestow it upon other things. It's a power that's almost like giving birth to a god.

OK let's make a EtE ( Easy to explain )

God give name to things then Border ( Boundary ) got create
Then follow by 3 layer born by gave name to thing

About God

Stage 1 Still don't have name, Nep 2
Stage 2. Got a name ( Concept ) then have avatar for interact with physical world
Stage 3. When lose their faith they're become mere youkai or Better case " God without Shrine " Evidence is from Symposium of Post-mysticism/Part 5 too here

Marisaそう言えば豊穣の神に出会ったが、あいつ等、妖怪と区別が付かなかったぜ。Now that you mention it, I met a harvest goddess before, but I couldn't tell her apart from a youkai.
Kanako神社も持たないような野良神様(*7)は、殆ど妖怪と化しています。信仰を集めようったって難しいですからね。ちなみにその豊穣の神って誰の事です?Nearly all stray gods without shrines(*7) get reduced to youkai. Gathering faith is a difficult task, after all. Out of curiosity, who was this harvest goddess?
Marisaえっと、秋穣子だったかな。Um... I think it was Minoriko Aki.
Kanakoああ、あの野生の神様ね……。確か紅葉の神である姉妹(*8)が居たと思いますが、正直、豊穣の神は有名な神様が沢山居ますからね。倉稲魂うかのみたまとか……。信仰は全部そっちに持って行かれてしまったのでしょう。まだ紅葉の神の方が商売敵が少なく、信仰を集めやすいと思うわ。落ち葉と芋を合わせて焼き芋の神々、とかにして人間の里の隅にでも移動販売すればそれなりに信仰(*9)が集まると思うんですけどね。Ah, that feral goddess... I believe she had a sister(*8) too, a goddess of autumn leaves, but frankly it's because there are so many other more famous harvest gods, like Ukanomitama, and all the faith ends up going to them. There isn't much competition in the autumn leaves market though, so it's probably easier to gather faith with that. I think they should become something like "the goddesses of roasted sweet potatoes" by combining their powers,[2] and set up a nice kiosk in some corner of the human village to earn a moderate amount of faith(*9).

Last edited:
"Only read reason of the CRT"

Stil don't see Where explanation about The God creating an Avatar.
Excuse me mate !? Who said God create avatar !?

No, God when got name ( Concept ) then They have Avatar

I already mention above

Excuse me mate !? Who said God create avatar !?

No, God when got name ( Concept ) then They have Avatar

I already mention above
Ohh sorry, this is my missinterpretation then.

Because on previous CRT Avatar has been Accepted.

Ohh sorry, this is my missinterpretation then.

Because on previous CRT Avatar has been Accepted.
Oh OK I see your point
Here EtE again

1. when gods still non exist ( Nothingness and Nameless ) They're still non-exist in Physical World
2. When they got a name They will have avatar ( They not create their own avatar ) But they have avatar since they got " Name "

Sorry for being a bit rude to you I guess cuz they use " Avatar Creation " cuz there no other word for describe " When gods got name ( they will have avatar )
So that the best words for describe that meaning now

So have you reached any conclusions here?

Well, if I have something to say, most people have disagreed with the changes, and the OP couldn't support properly his claims, while others have already provided context and explanations that refuted what he said.

Well, if I have something to say, most people have disagreed with the changes, and the OP couldn't support properly his claims, while others have already provided context and explanations that refuted what he said.
I will waiting mod input because. God is stil can be named. Sure this is not qualified for Nep2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back