• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Toad's Tiering and Mario Fodder Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fllflourine

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
Why is Toad rated at Low 7-B for scaling to a feat in a game he does not even appear in?

EDIT:

More importantly, why are Goombas only 10-C and Koopas 8-C for being able to ward off Yoshi and Shroobs, as well as being able to "slightly hurt" Mario and Luigi?

I propose that, for the moment, we change the goomba/koopa's ratings to unknown, or delete the goomba and koopa profiles until we can make something out of them later, I do not see fodder being in the same tier range with Bowser and Koopalings.

Toad could use scaling to Tier 4, he is often portrayed as being on par with the Mario brothers, and Princess Peach.

Following this, i thought this was brought up beforw but i could be wrong bylut yeah they make no sense

Yeah, we brought it up before in chat but we were laying it off.

I do not see why Toad should not simply be large star. He is regularly on par with the Mario Bros and Peach.

Yea, I was referring to Goombas/Koopas, I'll edit OP again for further elaboration.

Also, what about the Shroobs? Should an individual Shroob also be changed to unknown, stay put where they are, or receive Tier 4 scaling?

Toad was scaled to the Mario Bros's low-end back when they still had variable tiers, but I agree the profile is rather dated. I suppose Toad could be Tier 4, but it's important to note that only certain Toads are comparable to the Mario bros; most of them are still relatively similar to normal humans.

As for the Goombas and Koopas; they're pretty much game mechanics; we can't have 2-C Castlevania Skeletons for example. But certain Goombas and Koopas scale toe the Mario Bros; Such as the bosses or Paper Mario Partners. Koopas due have building level destruction feats also iirc.

Mmm, named Goombas/Koopas like Koops and Goombario should scale to Mario, though I'm mostly talking about the unnamed plumber fodder ones, of course.

Doesn't Toad's profile refer to the Toad that has feats on par with the brothers? I agree, that should be elaborated with a note. Because yes, the citizens of the Mushroom Kingdom are all strong enough individually to fend off the higher ranks of the Koopa Troop like Bowser

Fodder Goomba and Koopa troops should definately not scale; although, I do question Goomba's being only 10-C; alot of the sports games such as Mario Super Sluggers could arguably potray them more as 10-A. Although, I wonder if we could have the option of adding composite keys that scale to Mario. Anyway, Dino Ranger Black is the Mario expert iirc.

The Goombas and Koopas definitely should not scale. It makes as much sense as scaling a Deku to Link for similar reasons. They are often potrayed and stated to be weak enemies (More so on the Goombas' case). Of course, said species who became actual characters and had a major contribution to certian events in the franchise are an exception such as Mario's partners from TTYD.

Ask for Toad, I suppose his scale is rather low. I can upgrade him from his Tier 7 rating due to recent games, mainly the SM3DW and the NSMB games. However, he is still often treated to be not as capable as the other main cast of the series. So he will only be 4-C or High 4-C (Depending on which is more appropriate. Personally, the former is.), with the likehood in being 4-A being excluded.

What about the current ratings of unnamed Goomba/Koopa? Do they remain where they are? Should they be set to unknown?

Being fodder isn't a good reason to be literally 10-C. I'm sure that any basic KE calc would give at least 10-B with them.

Koopa Troopas should remain the same, Goomba's I agree with having 10-B or 10-A due to the fact that they can play sports rather well, but a 10-C could be fine for now. Toad should be upgraded to at least Star level.

I mean, you did say that in games like Mario Super Slugger, they're portrayed as being quite athletic, being able to go through an entire game without collapsing asleep (Stamina, but w/e), and being able to hit a ball hard enough for it to go out of a Stadium, which is something a 10-C most certainly is not able to do.

If Koopas are going to stay 8-C, then change their reasoning for being Building level, because "A really strong Koopa can at least hurt Mario and Luigi a little, some of them managed to fight off Shroob and Yoshies" isn't cutting it.

Well yeah, I meant the Koopa tiers can stay the same, but their reasons should be some thing like; "Casually pulverizes brick blocks." Or something along those lines.

So, what do you think of unknown ratings for Goombas and Koopas DRB?

@Ant

A Koopa Troopa's shell capability to break brick blocks and wall have been prominent. We can change it from Building Level to Wall level if people are still do not agree. Ask for the page covering Goombas, they will remain where they are. They are canonically potrayed to be weak enemies, once noted to have low stamina, and this profile isn't compositing them with characters who are actually formidable despite being the same species like Goombella or their much stronger variants such as Mega Goombas or Tanoomba.

Another thing, are generic Toads (not that Toad) 10-B? Goombas may be fodder tier in the Mario world, but I really don't think they are -that- low. And I'm alright with a Koopa downgrade if it means something more concrete than them apparently being able to hurt Yoshis and Mario and Luigi "a little".

Brief sidetrack, but why is stuff like "******** Physical Characteristics" listed as powers/abilities on the Goomba?

I think we just need a note for Toad, if there isn't one already, that it covers THE Toad.

It's not necessary, since there's yet to be a Toad significantly more powerful than the rest or one with exclusive abilities.

Perhaps the profile explanations/justifications for their statistics should be improved? "Can slightly hurt Mario" does not seem appropriate.

Why do Koopas have Superhuman Lifting Strength?

So, should we close this thread, or wait for further input?

@DRB Would Unknown be better? They seem very featless in that regaard.

@Ryu

Not really. I recall instances where they where able to lift other characters and objects around their sizes throughout the series. I believe there was even a moment where they carried Peach in the PM series.

@Ant

Since the main issue about Toad's tier and the enemies tier have been resolved, we can close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back