• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The remains of the Tiering Revision, part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think about this?
In theory it works but I would suggest writing down in a less abstract and easier to understand fashion. I don't think we should ask every user to understand the nature of a theological concept whenever a power crops up.

In theory it works but I would suggest writing down in a less abstract and easier to understand fashion. I don't think we should ask every user to understand the nature of a theological concept whenever a power crops up.
What parts do you think are hard to understand in that sense? To me, while it uses some technical terms, it immediately defines them in simple ways that make it work for me.

(And as an aside, it's not really a theological concept, just philosophy/logic)

Quick question: does anyone think it might help to divide "is both A and not A" from "is neither A nor not A" for the purposes of Transduality classification? While they are kinda similar in principle, I feel like they'd have different applications in a combat scenario, and we also already distinguish "neither existence nor nonexistence" from "both existence and nonexistence," type-wise, for Nonexistent Physiology, so I think this would be consistent with that.

I can also write up a draft page if anyone wants to see what all I'm thinking of, though it will have to be done tomorrow.

Quick question: does anyone think it might help to divide "is both A and not A" from "is neither A nor not A" for the purposes of Transduality classification? While they are kinda similar in principle, I feel like they'd have different applications in a combat scenario, and we also already distinguish "neither existence nor nonexistence" from "both existence and nonexistence," type-wise, for Nonexistent Physiology, so I think this would be consistent with that.

I can also write up a draft page if anyone wants to see what all I'm thinking of, though it will have to be done tomorrow.
Sorry man, can you explain it more clear??? I dont understand what you mean

That feels like getting too much into the minutiae. I think that sort of thing is more relevant for NEP (for nonexistence, lacking truth and falsity seems more relevant than simply having both truth and falsity) than it is for Transduality.

What parts do you think are hard to understand in that sense?
I just believe that back to back fashion of "Is and is not A" can be read as confusing.

Could just be a me thing, but it'd try too find a way to simplify it.

Sorry man, can you explain it more clear??? I dont understand what you mean
Basically, for any statement A said about the character, should A being both true and false (a "glut") be classified separately from A being neither true nor false (a "gap")?
That feels like getting too much into the minutiae. I think that sort of thing is more relevant for NEP (for nonexistence, lacking truth and falsity seems more relevant than simply having both truth and falsity) than it is for Transduality.
Can you explain why you think it's more relevant for NEP than Transduality? Don't they often intersect, anyway?
I just believe that back to back fashion of "Is and is not A" can be read as confusing.

Could just be a me thing, but it'd try too find a way to simplify it.
I'm not sure what's confusing about it. I think it's pretty straightforward:
  • Normally, statements are strictly either true or false. This is known as the principle of bivalence, which subsumes two of the standard laws of thought: the LNC (law of non-contradiction: a statement cannot be both true and false) and the LEM (law of excluded middle: a statement must be either true or false).
  • A "glut" is a statement that is both true and false, which violates the LNC; while a "gap" is a statement that is neither true nor false, which violates the LEM. Either way, the principle of bivalence fails.
  • From there, you might have a state of being which doesn't fit any of these categories, instead belonging to a fifth category, or a sixth one, etc.

Can you explain why you think it's more relevant for NEP than Transduality? Don't they often intersect, anyway?
I'll sum it up to make it easy for others to understand what you're saying

The NEP page lists type 3 as Paradoxical Nonexistence , while type 2 is Transdual Nonexistence . But Paradoxical Nonexistence is also a kind of Transduality. Look no further than entities who encompasses both the 1 and 0 of Existence And Nonexistence and all Reality in a state of Pure Wholeness.

Basically, for any statement A said about the character, should A being both true and false (a "glut") be classified separately from A being neither true nor false (a "gap")?
I think it should, a statement "both" and "neither" have different meaning

Update: it's late here, I will be going out with some work buddies tomorrow, and I will most likely just want to relax on my off day after that, so please wait a few more days for my draft page. 🤞

NEP is about nonexistence, while transduality is about transcendence. So it seems more relevant for NEP if your relation to the binary of existence/nonexistence is a gap. Your state of existence/nonexistence is nonexistent. Since transduality doesn't place a specific preference on truth/falsehood, existence/nonexistence, and just cares about transcending dualities in some way, I think the distinction between gap and glut is less relevant.

Update: it's late here, I will be going out with some work buddies tomorrow, and I will most likely just want to relax on my off day after that, so please wait a few more days for my draft page. 🤞
Okay. No problem. Thank you for helping out.

Bumping this to bring up something important: What is our consensus on Type 1 Transduality, exactly? If I recall correctly, we mostly agreed to remove it by virtue of no characters currently qualifying for it, but I was informed afterwards that, apparently, we have a few with the ability indexed at the moment (From BlazBlue, apparently) so that might be something to take into consideration.

For the matter, I'm planning to add the ability to a few characters in a future revision, as well (7 of them, to be exact), so, that's another thing.

I'd prefer keeping it as a type, then. It doesn't really fit under other powers, and is a relevant step in the Transduality power, imo.

Thank you for the replies. What do you think about Ultima's latest suggestion, DontTalk?

Thank you for the replies. What do you think about Ultima's latest suggestion, DontTalk?
This one?

Bumping this to bring up something important: What is our consensus on Type 1 Transduality, exactly? If I recall correctly, we mostly agreed to remove it by virtue of no characters currently qualifying for it, but I was informed afterwards that, apparently, we have a few with the ability indexed at the moment (From BlazBlue, apparently) so that might be something to take into consideration.

For the matter, I'm planning to add the ability to a few characters in a future revision, as well (7 of them, to be exact), so, that's another thing.
Yeah, I'm fine with it. If any character has it, it should stay. The only reason people wanted to delete it was because it apparently was unused.

Thank you for helping out. That seems like the solution that we should go with then.

So does the Transduality page need to be (partially?) changed back to a previous state, or have these changes not been applied yet?

Okay. That is good. So what do we currently need to do here then?

Okay, but with the recent reconsideration in that regard, what changes currently need to be applied to it?

Until recently I came to follow this thread, but if I am not wrong, it was only to merge type 2 and 3, a new draft for type 4. Here's the draft which is accepted, although KingPing had been asked if he could make it simpler but has not yet responded. 1-A requeriments would be removed as well for Transduality. The only thing that changes taking into account the recent reconsideration is that Type 1 will not be deleted. I think that's all, although it would be better to call those who have been arguing for a long time to see if this change can be applied.

Well, since I lost interest in doing my draft (although I can try to pick it back up again later), I can only suggest that Transduality should be renamed to Nonduality. Even setting aside the age-old argument of "nondual" being the proper term in philosophy and theology, it seems that we are basing the power on dialethic and many-valued logic, in which case we should no longer need to specify transcendence - as long as they partake in both sides at once, neither side, or a completely different side altogether, then they should just be nondual regarding some or all dual distinctions. No need to require a higher level of ontology.

Also, while I appreciate the effort to give more rigorous examples of Transduality/Nonduality, I think we're better off sticking with the classic 0/1 example, for simplicity's sake. Just a minor thing, I won't protest if it gets rejected, but even truth values are generalized as falsehood being 0 and truth being 1 (Boolean stuff is a good example of this), so I'd say it has a sound logical basis at least.

Well, since I lost interest in doing my draft (although I can try to pick it back up again later), I can only suggest that Transduality should be renamed to Nonduality. Even setting aside the age-old argument of "nondual" being the proper term in philosophy and theology, it seems that we are basing the power on dialethic and many-valued logic, in which case we should no longer need to specify transcendence - as long as they partake in both sides at once, neither side, or a completely different side altogether, then they should just be nondual regarding some or all dual distinctions. No need to require a higher level of ontology.
I am personally fine with if we rename the page in question.
Also, while I appreciate the effort to give more rigorous examples of Transduality/Nonduality, I think we're better off sticking with the classic 0/1 example, for simplicity's sake. Just a minor thing, I won't protest if it gets rejected, but even truth values are generalized as falsehood being 0 and truth being 1 (Boolean stuff is a good example of this), so I'd say it has a sound logical basis at least.
Keeping the descriptions relatively straightforward/easy to comprehend seems like a good idea to me at least.

What do the rest of you think?

Yeah, I don't know what happened and the wiki decided to use "Trans-"

I was left scratching my head when I Google it and only info I could find on "Transduality" were from battleboarding sites

Nonduality, is what it should've been.

Using "Trans" give the impression it's a tiering system sort of transcendence.

@DontTalkDT @Ultima_Reality @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @Pain_to12

Are you fine with if we rename the "Transduality" page to "Nonduality" instead?
I caanot say I agree with the renaming of the page, simply because the word "Trans" in this context means to exist beyond or above, while "Nondual" = "Not-two" means you don't participate in it but you are not above it.
All the current types of Transduality has them say "Characters that are beyond xoxoxoxo" Type 1 - type 5, while they are different but all of them really mean trans"a certain dual system or multiple", while "Non" does not mean beyond just "Not"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back