• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Pokedex cannot be taken seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But in the games, there is no signs of anything remotely close to a "group of researchers" that is makimg the entries. Nor does it explain why there are.many different entries in differemt regions.

You pretty much made the pro-dex argument weaker by posting such a thing, Starter.

...Dude, you do realize we do composites of anime, games and manga for Pokemon, right?

For instance, the speed justification for High 6-C's comes from Red's Poliwrath, which is taken from the manga, and the AP justification for Low 7-B's comes from this calculation of Seismic Toss, which comes from the games.

So...why does the anime get special treatment here?

Because the dex does create the entries on its own in the anime and there are no different entries nor other protagonists.

In the games, all i said on the OP still apply. Sorry, but you have put all pro-dex users under suspicion of not actually reading my post.

The last argument against my post was about a ANIME exclusive character.

If you come here to "debunk" me, then you should post an argument instead of acting like a dick.

Kyle Ramos said:
The last argument against my post was about a ANIME exclusive character.
If you come here to "debunk" me, then you should post an argument instead of acting like a dick.
you are actually the one acting like one, cursing me out even though i did not even do anything.

yes i said that i came to the thread to destroy the argument but it seems that it has alread been done. i did not insult you personally or curse in my argument.

after you replied with "well you failed" i did not understand why said that because replying with "you failed" to what i said is nonsensical.

you couldve explained why am i wrong calmly and without cursing, just like the mods here. however you desided to insult me personally just because i didnot agree with your opinion.

but i wont go as low as you and call someone a dingus just becasue they don't agree with an un-offensive opinion about sth fictional and tell you to please not do that again.

Kyle Ramos said:
grasping at straws? Literally every pokemon has 5+ different entries.
So what? Do the different entries have information that contradict one another? them being different doesn't suddendly make them contradictory. "Dex entries are different" means absolutely nothing by itself and is at best a non-sequitur for the argument at hand.

You're grasping at straws with the abra dex entry pretending an entry outlining the thing as a myth and another one narrating the myth is somehow enough to qualify as a contradiction, forget the fact this is one of 600+ entries and most certainly not even close to enough to dismiss them entirely.

This is strange

A lot of Pokemon fans: Why many of Pokedex's current descriptions are repetitions of the old ones, and identical between the different versions of the games of the generation? C'mon Pokémon Company, create new entries for Pokedex, we want to know more about Pokémon and not just what we already know !!

The OP: Why different descriptions of the same Pokémon? There should be only one description! Pokedex can not be accepted!

Look at that strawman. Have you even read the post ive made?

It makes no in-game sense that there are different version of what is considered to be "scientific fact." specially since some entries do contradict each other.

What are you attempting to prove by quoting Kep exactly?

He practically states that some entries are too vague to be used, nowhere in his post does he say "these two different entries are contradictory between one another" which is the point we're arguing.

What i am actually arguing about:

• Cal goes online to get research on moose*
Site 1: Rumors say that Moose have antlers.

Site 2: Moose have antlers.

OK, upon rereading this, I find the points about the Dex entries being incorrect to be simple errors in the Pokedex's judgement, just like a scientist would've made, since it's an AI, but I don't think we should doubt them unless it's specifically denied or proven wrong. It's mostly a good source and the majority of the entries have no issues and are correct. The multiple different Dex entries are either retcon or just rephrasing, since the Dex upgrades and becomes more high tech each gen and are explicitly newer models, if any contradict, we should trust the newer entries unless, again, they're specifically proven wrong.

This is basically the point of this thread.

-A couple entries of the PokeDex is wrong, ergo the whole thing is wrong.

• This is as bad as assuming that if a few dex entries are correct then all of them are. This is a blatant hasty generalization fallacy.
-Pokemon have multiple dex entries

• This is your main deal here. This assumes that different behaviors of Pokemon cannot be seen throughout other regions and that detailing information about a Pokemon is something that only takes one sentence or two when in the real world, there are countless lengthy documentaries about things such as the fly. A Pokemon would require just as much if not more research than a real world animal.
Neither have much weight and the OP as noted throughout the thread and various posts is very nitpicky and wants to denounce the entire PokeDex over a few rumors and different entries. There is also the fact that the OP is very stuck on the fact thay Oak sends kids to gather info when the simple answer is that Oak cannot be expected to travel all througout the country to find Pokemon as he still has other duties to take care of compared to the freedom of a trainer. As such he cannot get the info HE needs and thus he sends you to do so as a trainer is free to go anywhere at anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back