• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Pokedex cannot be taken seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Starter Pack

No need to personally attack Kyle here. Completely unprovoked and uncalled for. He has done nothing other than disagree with you - going out on a sudden rant against him is egregious. It's not because he's heavily outvoted that doing stuff like this won't come with consequences.

So, you are saying the pokedex is a 100% accurate source of info when the entries are entirely different for each MC?

And it does not explain why Oak would task Red and Blue to "make" the complete guide of all pokemon or what is making such entries. The dex itself? Some unknown group of researchers? (Researchers that somehow know that Arceus was born in the beginming of time, that gardevoir creates black holes, that spirittomb has evil souls in it, etc?) Sorry, but i find it a bit worrisome that we are using this as 100% valid data with so many variables and questions that require answers.

Kepekley23 said:
No scientists who don't have "pseudo" before "scientist" would say that, lol.
It's just an example and it doesn't change the point that scientists have collectively believed stuff that later gets proven false. Scientists get it horribly wrong sometimes but most of the time, they're right. Same thing here.

And even if it is a secondary source of information, as you so propose, what would you suggest we should get our information from? The Pokedex is an absolutely vital part of our tiering and scaling of the Pokemon universe, especially the god-tier Pokemon. You're metaphorically attempting to cut out one of the lungs of our (mostly) healthy body of proof.

No one is saying the Dex is 100% accurate, we've been over this before, we just evlaute what what we think is sensible and what we isn't. Stuff that reads more like folklore or urban legends, for example, are to not be used unless they're backed up by other sources.

Kyle Ramos said:
So, you are saying the pokedex is a 100% accurate source of info when the entries are entirely different for each MC?

And it does not explain why Oak would task Red and Blue to "make" the complete guide of all pokemon or what is making such entries. The dex itself? Some unknown group of researchers? (Researchers that somehow know that Arceus was born in the beginming of time, that gardevoir creates black holes, that spirittomb has evil souls in it, etc?) Sorry, but i find it a bit worrisome that we are using this as 100% valid data with so many variables and questions that require answers.
We're not. When it's clear that the entries are false, we discard them. Most the time, we have no reason to assume they are false.

Kepekley23 said:
@Starter Pack
No need to personally attack Kyle here. Completely unprovoked and uncalled for. He has done nothing other than disagree with you - going out on a sudden rant against him is egregious. It's not because he's heavily outvoted that doing stuff like this won't come with consequences.
Apologies. I'll try to keep my dark thoughts in my head from now on.

I've personally always seen the Pokédex as having info analysis and that every time that you catch a Pokémon, the Pokédex fully analyzes him.

The poked ex is 99% of the time firsthand information written by researchers who actually saw or experienced these things being done firsthand, its a research tool made by scientists for scientific documentation. Yes there is sometimes folklore mixed in but the majority of dex entries are accurate.

The problem arises when it's the biggest and more detailed source. The Pokédex is clearly meant to be taken seriously, so we can't just discard it like that.

Kyle Ramos said:
Just an idea.
But i do not think we should use the dex as the main source for our data.
A lot of people, myself included, do not use it as the "main" source of information. We look for in-canon feats first and foremost. However, the Pokedex is a very useful tool for determining the power level of many Pokemon, such as the Creation Trio, and as such, is a very vital part of how we operate with the universe.

Refer back to my "lung from our body of proof" statement.

Examples of perfectly valid entries to use:

• Tyranitar is so overwhelmingly powerful, it can bring down a whole mountain to make its nest. This Pokémon wanders about in mountains seeking new opponents to fight. (R/S)
  • Loudred shouts while stamping its feet. After it finishes shouting, this Pokémon becomes incapable of hearing anything for a while. This is considered to be a weak point. (R/S)
Examples of dex entries that should not be used:

• It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Kadabra. (FR/LG)
  • Shedinja's hard body doesn't move - not even a twitch. In fact, its body appears to be merely a hollow shell. It is believed that this Pokémon will steal the spirit of anyone peering into its hollow body from its back. (R/S)
  • An abandoned plush doll became this Pokémon. They are said to live in garbage dumps and wander about in search of the children that threw them away. (D/P, but every single entry tells a variation of the same story)

I saw Magcargo mentioned and had to comment.

Magcargo wouldn't destroy the planet because its body has the temperature of the surface of the Sun. It wouldn't really do anything outside of scorching everything with a low combustion point.

The volume of its body is not significant. The heat energy released would pale in comparison to a foundry. Even the weakest nuclear weapon had an initial fireball far outstripping Magcargo in temperature and size. Magcargo is greatly overhyped.

If taken at face value (it's implied that the temperature talked about is that of his core, not his external temperature), Magcargo would only radiate comparable power output to a race-car, so yeah.

But hey, even if Magcargo could destroy the real world, the average physically fit teenager in the Pokémon world is up there with a Lucario in durability and striking strength, so yeah, not farfetched at all.

Also a fun fact about the Sun: if you can make it near the surface, you could literally enter it without damage. Why is this? Because the Sun has something akin to an atmosphere known as its corona. The corona, while being relatively low density, is incredibly hot, reaching clean over 1,000,000 degrees Celsius.

If Magcargo had that around him, then we'd have a problem.

If you think about it, the average 8-C could survive absolutely everything conceivable to happen to them within their lifetime and brave outer space by themselves without fear.

Plane crashes, buildings collapsing, being attacked by armies, tsunamis, volcano debris smashing them... because surface area and energy distribution are a thing. And, surprisingly enough, the vast majority of these things would likely barely scratch them.

An 8-C could still be killed by a very powerful bullet (.50 MK211 Mod 0 comes to mind) or an indirect outcome of a natural distaster. Even if you survive the earthquake or tsunami's hit, you could still suffocate/starve out.

Which bullet out there could plausibly kill a 8-C, unless we're talking grade-S stuff? I'm fairly certain the strongest armor piercing rounds cap at 9-A, without getting into multi-ton non-nuclear weaponry.

I know I'm disregarding the power of a compressed surface area hitting you with condensed energy, but still.

Speaking of Lanturn, it's obvious that although in real life his feat would be hyper uber 3-A, he most likely has the ability to prevent his light from being dampened by the water around it, otherwise the raw energy output would have....well, created a multiversal black hole.

To summarize.

>The PokeDex is not written by the kids. But reasearchers, however, credible some may be.

>Multiple exerpts simply mean other observations. The PokeDex clearly only gives you the barebones of a Pokemon, unless you think the life style and prowess of a Pokemon is something that only takes a sentence or two when it takes real world animals entire documentaries and years of research to do. And Pokemon are far more impressive than that.

>We do NOT treat all entries as fact. If we did...as we joke around, Universal Lanturn or every Psychic boy should apparently be a Kadabra despite Abra and Alakazam already being a thing and every Bannette is a doll despite Shuppet's existing already.

Not really a paradox. Female Marowaks are unable to bear carrying a child, so they always die after giving birth. There, explained.

Lanturn's feat is literally impossible since he would collapse the universe first.

Also the MK211 Mod 0 is a 19,000+ joule, High Explosive, Incendiary, tungsten-carbide penetrator core armor-piercing round. It can punch through cars and can be used to take out helicopters.

It's a big boi

Kepekley23 said:
Not really a paradox. Female Marowaks are unable to bear carrying a child, so they always die after giving birth. There, explained.
But then their population would die. Every single male birth would drive them closer to extinction.

LordGriffin1000 said:
The Pokedex is valid imo, unless it's statements get contradicted. Like Macargo walking around with the heat of the sun on it's back. If that was true the planet would be dead.
Honestly mcargo can have fire as hot as the sun, because as far as I know there is no actual reliable source that confirms the claim that something as lowly as 10000 degrees celsius can legitimately pose a threat to the entire planet.

I mean, if a scientist makes total sense in most of its entries yet suddenly posts an article about how "Unicorns exist, horses just die before their horn grows", you do begin to suspect that scientist just a bit.

Yeah, but they contradict each other.

And i disagree with dragonmaster about one thing. It is never stated or shown that researchers are the ones that write the entries.

Okay, let me add a little bit of history for everyone about the Pokedex. As it turns out, according to the anime, all, or at least most, of the Pokedex entries were written by one Professor Westwood V. A man who spent tireless hours writing for the Pokedex and countless amounts of research into it. Now, as for the inconsistencies, Westwood has gone on the record by saying that he has made some of the entries up. So, if we remove 10%, or even 20% of the Pokedex entries as being canon, that still leaves at least 80% of the Pokedex to have accurate information about every Pokemon in the entire world.

So, there. Canon proof that a 10-year-old did not write the Pokedex.

Are you absolutely kidding me? He is from the ANIME. As ive adressed in the OP (which i now realize most have not read) that in the anime, it is okay to use the pokedex as a source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back