• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Great Odyssean Quest to Downgrade God of War ⌈Part 2⌋

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaaand we're back.

Weather Manipulation [Kratos, Norse Key]

Upon Kratos' entrance to the Nine Realms, a harsh winter also spread out across the land. This is assumed to be due to Kratos' arrival, when there is never an established connection between the two. A smaller point is that we don't even know when these events happened relative to one another. They happened in the same year, sure, but a year is a long time, and the events could be months apart, or the winter could've even happened before Kratos showed up. This is a simple case of correlation =/= causation, like how me being born two weeks before 9/11 doesn't mean I'm at fault for the twin towers being blown up. This would also remove the "low multiversal with weather manipulation" rating in his range section.
latest

Resistance to Sleep Manipulation [Kratos, Ragnarok Key]

Kratos can wear armor made of stones that maintained a person's eternal sleep. Of course, the stones are not the source of that eternal sleep (or rather, there's no indication of such); They're merely what maintains it. They don't knock a person out on contact, so there is nothing Kratos needs to resist.

Resistance to Madness Manipulation [Kratos, Demigod Key]

The furies, in their torturing of Kratos, were said to have driven him to insanity. This is why they have madness manipulation at all. Unfortunately, this presents a bit of a problem for Kratos' resistance. If he was indeed driven insane by this torture, as the manual claims he was, then he obviously didn't resist it. If the manual is deemed contradictory to the game, then Kratos wasn't driven insane... but the furies wouldn't have a valid source for their madness manipulation, either. It's a simple matter of contradictory sources being composited, which we should not allow.
latest

If you're only discussing 3 things here then just how many of these do you plan on making?

Not sure about the sleep manipulation being removed, but removing the weather and madness stuff seems fine given the reasoning.

If you're only discussing 3 things here then just how many of these do you plan on making?
No clue. Not all of them will have 3 abilities at once. Next thread might only tackle one or two. Depends on how controversial I think they'll be, really.

Weather manipulation seems to be fine, iirc it was Baldur's death that caused Fimbulwinter to occur unless someone can prove me wrong.

The sleep thing is explicitly the magic is coursing through the armor itself that put gigantic stone golems to sleep. The only way the golems can get off the sleeping spell is with Kratos to ring a bell which snaps them out of the sleeping spell. Kratos being able to wear the armor with the exact same magic that put them to sleep without immediately falling asleep would imply he's capable of fighting off its effects easily.

Madness resistance that's mostly from the fact that Kratos at the end of Ascension can fight off all effects of the Furies' abilities and just say no to almost anything they say.

Upon Kratos' entrance to the Nine Realms, a harsh winter also spread out across the land. This is assumed to be due to Kratos' arrival, when there is never an established connection between the two. A smaller point is that we don't even know when these events happened relative to one another. They happened in the same year, sure, but a year is a long time, and the events could be months apart, or the winter could've even happened before Kratos showed up.
Yeah this is wild. The scan doesn't even imply it was because of Kratos. Agree with the removal.

Kratos can wear armor made of stones that maintained a person's eternal sleep. Of course, the stones are not the source of that eternal sleep (or rather, there's no indication of such); They're merely what maintains it. They don't knock a person out on contact, so there is nothing Kratos needs to resist.
Agreed, nothing implies that these stones are supposed to just make someone fall asleep on contact.

The furies, in their torturing of Kratos, were said to have driven him to insanity. This is why they have madness manipulation at all. Unfortunately, this presents a bit of a problem for Kratos' resistance. If he was indeed driven insane by this torture, as the manual claims he was, then he obviously didn't resist it. If the manual is deemed contradictory to the game, then Kratos wasn't driven insane... but the furies wouldn't have a valid source for their madness manipulation, either. It's a simple matter of contradictory sources being composited, which we should not allow.
latest
Torturing someone to the point of insanity isn't even madness manipulation, so, absolutely agreed.

The sleep thing is explicitly the magic is coursing through the armor itself that put gigantic stone golems to sleep. The only way the golems can get off the sleeping spell is with Kratos to ring a bell which snaps them out of the sleeping spell. Kratos being able to wear the armor with the exact same magic that put them to sleep without immediately falling asleep would imply he's capable of fighting off its effects easily.
The text only says the magic that maintained their sleep still courses through the stones. It doesn't say people who touch the stones immediately fall asleep, and this would seem to be contradicted by the fact that they stay awake when Kratos wakes them up.

Kratos wakes them up with a magical artifact that's designed to snap them out of the sleeping spell, nothing about that contradicts the feat in the first place.

This is a simple case of correlation =/= causation, like how me being born two weeks before 9/11 doesn't mean I'm at fault for the twin towers being blown up. This would also remove the "low multiversal with weather manipulation" rating in his range section.
Bout the craziest analogy I’ve ever read on this site.

On second note: reading these justifications, how the actual **** did these powers get accepted. That was the most baffling justification for a power I’ve ever seen.

Kratos wakes them up with a magical artifact that's designed to snap them out of the sleeping spell, nothing about that contradicts the feat in the first place.
Yes, but the stone itself isn't what put them to sleep, it was a sleeping curse. All that is said about the stone's is "the magic that maintained their slumber" still courses through it. It's never suggested by Mimir or in the description that a normal person would just instantly fall asleep if they touched the stone.

Madness resistance that's mostly from the fact that Kratos at the end of Ascension can fight off all effects of the Furies' abilities and just say no to almost anything they say.
This feels like a rather bold claim, and not a particularly logical one at that. For starters, we don't really assume a character resists every ability another character possesses without a very good reason. While I'd need to watch the boss fight in full rather than just skim through it to make sure, it doesn't seem like the Furies are tossing out literally every single ability they have at Kratos, let alone have him "just say no" to all of it. That leads me into the second point, which is that the madness manipulation is specifically via torture. They can't just snap their fingers and drive people mad, it's a byproduct of the agony one must endure while being tortured (Deagon brought up a good point about how that isn't really hax, but I digress). So uh... unless Kratos is being tortured mid-fight (which I don't recall happening), he wouldn't need to resist madness manipulation, especially when our options here are either 1. The Furies have madness hax which already drove Kratos insane, or 2. Kratos was never driven insane, and the Furies don't have madness hax.
I'm a bit confused here. Were the golems put to sleep via the armor, or via a magic spell?

I'm a bit confused here. Were the golems put to sleep via the armor, or via a magic spell?
In the Codex we're told that they were imprisoned by Alviss Stonefoot who used "Nott's Slumber." Mimir describes the relic as being able to break a "sleeping curse."

Logically, it doesn't make much sense for a sleeping curse to be applied by trying to forcibly equip stone armor onto violent trolls. Nótt is the Norse goddess of Night, but she isn't actually mentioned in Ragnarok/GOW aside from these Codex entries.

Intuitively I think that was just the armor they wore, and some of the magical energy seeped into the stones, but that wouldn't necessitate that they have a "sleep on contact" effect especially since they don't fall back asleep. If the relic breaks the curse, we could just explain it that way instead of theorizing that Kratos has a resistance.

Neutral on Sleep manipulation, the stones are what keeps the victim's asleep. Agree with the rest

Upon Kratos' entrance to the Nine Realms, a harsh winter also spread out across the land. This is assumed to be due to Kratos' arrival, when there is never an established connection between the two. A smaller point is that we don't even know when these events happened relative to one another. They happened in the same year, sure, but a year is a long time, and the events could be months apart, or the winter could've even happened before Kratos showed up. This is a simple case of correlation =/= causation, like how me being born two weeks before 9/11 doesn't mean I'm at fault for the twin towers being blown up. This would also remove the "low multiversal with weather manipulation" rating in his range section.
I see your point, but we are forgetting that Fimbulwinter isn't a normal winter, as It's a winter that weakens magic that stretches to 9 dimensions.

And considering the Norse Gods were unable to predict this Fimbulwinter, despite their ability to do so, implies it's Kratos arrival.
The Furies's madness Manipulation comes from a showcase from the game itself. The scan also showcases that Kratos's isn't insane.

I see your point, but we are forgetting that Fimbulwinter isn't a normal winter, as It's a winter that weakens magic that stretches to 9 dimensions.

And considering the Norse Gods were unable to predict this Fimbulwinter, despite their ability to do so, implies it's Kratos arrival.
First, nothing in that scans says that (A) they were unable to predict it, or (B) that they usually can predict such things. And even if both of those things were true, this would still be far too speculative to grant an ability.

The Furies's madness Manipulation comes from a showcase from the game itself. The scan also showcases that Kratos's isn't insane.
That video doesn't demonstrate madness manipulation. The fact that this guy went crazy doesn't mean the Furies used magic madness powers to inflict it on him. He could have just gone crazy from his imprisonment normally.

First, nothing in that scans says that (A) they were unable to predict it, or (B) that they usually can predict such things. And even if both of those things were true, this would still be far too speculative to grant an ability.
The usage of "close call" would suggest it was a sudden change unprecedented for, especially when the game shows characters can Innately(even Dwarven characters can do it) know if it's Fimbulwinter.
That video doesn't demonstrate madness manipulation. The fact that this guy went crazy doesn't mean the Furies used magic madness powers to inflict it on him. He could have just gone crazy from his imprisonment normally.
Deagnox, they drive people insane with mind Manipulation.

I'm not why any of this matters? The text still doesn't establish even an implied connection between Kratos and Fimbulwinter, beyond both of them showing up in the same year. I can think of a lot of historical events that happen in the same year, but aren't even remotely related (eg; Woodstock and the first moon landing both happening in the summer of 1969).
Doesn't this scan imply Kratos was driven insane by the Furies? Seems to me like they're saying "yeah we included their ability to cause madness, which is why Kratos is dealing with all this wacky mental shit throughout the game".

The usage of "close call" would suggest it was a sudden change unprecedented for, especially when the game shows characters can Innately(even Dwarven characters can do it) know if it's Fimbulwinter.
First, the phrase "close call" does not mean it was a surprise, it means that it brought them to the brink. Second, the first video you provided directly debunks the notion that Kratos used some special weather manipulation power to cause the snowfall. Third, a dwarf being able to tell that the current cold snap is Fimbulwinter doesn't mean they know it's going to happen ahead of time. This is not a productive use of time.

All he says is that they "drive people insane" which the scans already say they do via torture. I don't know why you wrote "mind manipulation" in the hyperlink.

I'm not why any of this matters? The text still doesn't establish even an implied connection between Kratos and Fimbulwinter, beyond both of them showing up in the same year. I can think of a lot of historical events that happen in the same year, but aren't even remotely related (eg; Woodstock and the first moon landing both happening in the summer of 1969).
Not exactly. Fimbulwinter is caused by Baldur's death, it being a Supernatural winter with "nothing like that". A mini version of one that suddenly happens when Kratos arrives is pretty slim.
First, the phrase "close call" does not mean it was a surprise, it means that it brought them to the brink. Second, the first video you provided directly debunks the notion that Kratos used some special weather manipulation power to cause the snowfall. Third, a dwarf being able to tell that the current cold snap is Fimbulwinter doesn't mean they know it's going to happen ahead of time. This is not a productive use of time.
Deagnox... nobody is saying Kratos caused Fimbulwinter, we are saying that he caused a mini one, not the main one.

And no, Fimbulwinter (the one caused by Baldur's death) had just begun, with a winter already having happened at the time.
Doesn't this scan imply Kratos was driven insane by the Furies? Seems to me like they're saying "yeah we included their ability to cause madness, which is why Kratos is dealing with all this wacky mental shit throughout the game".
Yeah, but he clearly isn't as affected as other prisoners and he even managed to overcome it in the game.

Deagnox... nobody is saying Kratos caused Fimbulwinter
First, I'm confused as to you misspelling my username over and over.

Second. He currently has "low multiversal range" due to the claim that he caused fimbulwinter, so yes somebody is claiming that and apparently got it passed with a CRT.

In any case, there is literally no evidence of him using weather manip to make it snow.

I think there's a misunderstanding here, there are two Fimbulwinters, a mini that happened at the same time Kratos arrived to the Norse Realms, and the main one which was caused by Baldur's death a 150 years after said mini Fimbulwinter.

They cannot both be fimbulwinters. In any case, this discussion will go nowhere unless there's actual direct evidence of Kratos using magic snowfall causing powers to make it winter. It cannot be inferred by coincidence.

Agree With weather manip, he Should furies hax later on but afaik it isn't actual madness manip (iirc there is other resistance to madness hax feats but dunno if is on profiles)

For sleep manip resistance will wait fof a few more replies before coming to a conclusion

They cannot both be fimbulwinters. In any case, this discussion will go nowhere unless there's actual direct evidence of Kratos using magic snowfall causing powers to make it winter. It cannot be inferred by coincidence.
Yeah it isn't exactly a fimbulwinter odin just fear That it's one

I think you are forgetting why it's limited, it's limited as Kratos can't control it.

As for evidence for Kratos causing it by Supernatural means, we know that Atrues, when he got sick, caused the weather to significantly worsen. Said sickness is caused from his Godhood, whom the game directly states is inherented from Kratos.

I can provide scans if need be.

Last edited:
Aaaand we're back.

latest
I'm quite fine with this. I think it's within the realm of possibility they actually were trying to say "something Kratos did on arrival caused this long winter", but this is purely speculative.

It is worth noting - I distinctly recall it was at least implied in GoW 2018 that Atreus could manipulate the weather, as he was essentially a walking pathetic fallacy, with the weather frequently changing to whatever his emotional state was at the time. This isn't a feat for Kratos directly, but I suspect there would be some connection with Atreus' godhood through Kratos, so I would be interested if there are any explicit statements explaining these phenomena. Presently, though, I have no issue removing this ability from the profiles.

I definitely need some clarification on this before passing a verdict.

Yes, but the stone itself isn't what put them to sleep, it was a sleeping curse. All that is said about the stone's is "the magic that maintained their slumber" still courses through it. It's never suggested by Mimir or in the description that a normal person would just instantly fall asleep if they touched the stone.
Where, specifically, is it stated that it was a 'sleeping curse' that put them to sleep, and that the magic only maintains their slumber rather than causing it? If there's a clear separation, then this should be fine to remove. But if not, this just seems a bit pedantic. If the explanation for why someone is asleep forever is "their armour has magic that maintains their eternal slumber", I think the implication is quite obvious that their armour is what put them to sleep - I wouldn't stake so much on the word 'maintains' to say "it didn't actually cause them to sleep, it only extended the sleep they already had". I would like some more scans regarding the conditions and properties of this sleeping curse.

Resistance to Madness Manipulation [Kratos, Demigod Key]

latest
This obviously wouldn't be resistance to madness manipulation - let alone madness manipulation in the first place - by itself. And none of the other discussion on the topic inclines me to think their acts of driving people mad are more than the natural consequences of torture. So yes, I agree with this removal.

To be specific about my stances then: I agree with removing weather manipulation and resistance to madness manipulation, and I'm neutral on resistance to sleep manipulation.

I guess I'll provide an explanation.

So in God of war 2018, whenever Atreus gets angry we see that he causes the weather to go to shit, and this is stated to be caused due to his Godhood fighting within him, of which Freya asserts is Kratos's very own.

After learning of his Godhood, Atreus can somewhat use this ability with his anger(another trait he got from his father) his every word causing the weather to worsen.

But that's about it. I guess the only I need to mention is that they don't have a way to control it.

It's probably just a trait that Kratos inherented from Zeus, since his anger causes an effect on the weather, but that’s neither here or there.

@Mad_Dog_of_Fujiwara it's specifically the fact they're using their powers to warp his mind to not think clearly and he eventually just fights it off in the end since nothing that they're using, both illusions and other tactics is implied to slow him down, let alone affect him. He even comments on how all he sees is illusions in the beginning of the story and is able to fight it off in the end.

The armor is forged from the pieces of the stones the golems were made of in the first place, the same stones that are infused with the same slumber magic. The entire side quests starts because Kratos found a magical item that can dispel any magical slumber from any creature, and you run into the giant golems who are seemingly asleep. You use it on them and they snap awake from the slumber and they proceed to attack you. This is backed up by the lore next to their slumbering bodies where the folks near the golems had to cast a sleeping spell on the golems in order to stop their rampage.

@Deagonx The sleeping curse is still seeping through the minerals that go through the armor itself, unless you can prove the magic just somehow changed in properties when it was in the armor it's still the same exact magic that was used against the golems.

If the explanation for why someone is asleep forever is "their armour has magic that maintains their eternal slumber", I think the implication is quite obvious that their armour is what put them to sleep - I wouldn't stake so much on the word 'maintains' to say "it didn't actually cause them to sleep, it only extended the sleep they already had". I would like some more scans regarding the conditions and properties of this sleeping curse.
Unfortunately the amount of information we are given is very limited.

When the mystical heirloom is found, Mimir asks if it's the thing we've read about that can break a "sleeping curse." In the codex entries about the trolls, the person who put them to sleep calls it a "rousing relic."

The method of imprisonment is described as "Nott's Slumber" and no further explanation is given. We can probably infer that this is the name of the sleeping curse. The description says "the magic that maintained the owners eternal sleep still courses through" the stones.

When you first defeat one of the trolls, Mimir immediately says you should have Lunda check it out because she might be able to make armor out of it. He doesn't say anything to the effect of touching the stones causing Kratos to fall asleep (like, 'wow! You can pick those up? You feeling drowsy?') We could say that, well, Kratos has this resistance and no one feels the need to comment on it because (A) the fact that he is meant to fall asleep upon touching the stones is indeed justified by the description and (B) the fact that Kratos is resisting this is inferred from the fact he puts this in his inventory and wears the armor, but I don't love this reasoning for a couple of reasons:

First, verses aren't generally in the habit of leaving their characters abilities entirely implicit, especially something like "Kratos has an inexplicable immunity to sleep curses that is never mentioned or given a lore explanation." Second, does the premise not seem strange, if touching these stones causes someone to immediately fall asleep as in a sleeping curse, are these statues and thus Kratos' own armor not some severe public hazard? I guess we could say it only happens when you adorn the armor, but again, this is never stated so we'd still have to see this as being entirely implicit, and if the curse only activates in armor form it would be weird for Mimir to immediately recommend Kratos have it turned back into armor (unless we, again, infer that Mimir was just automatically aware of this unmentioned resistance)

I recognize the room for literary inference but I think this exceeds the limit of what we can reasonably infer from the limited information given which is why I support removing it.

Well, Mimir does have convo with Kratos about his ability to stay awake for days on end, with Kratos saying gods do not nap.

And there's chains of olympus bs where he's the only one in the world who was able to stay awake after Morpheus's merger, only being affected after long exposure, albeit he did manage to wake up. This is Demigod Kratos BTW, so Kratos without his godly do not nap powers had resistance to Sleep Manipulation.

Kratos not needing to sleep much isn't the same as Resistance to Sleep Manip.

Kratos didn't have a special resistance to Morpheus' powers. He was not the only person awake, the only time you see other humans in the game after the sun disappears, they're screaming about the fog monsters who come out and slaughter them, they aren't asleep. The gods are falling into slumber (though several are still awake in the game) but nothing suggests Kratos is supposed to be falling asleep but resisted it.

Kratos also does not succumb to "long exposure" to Morpheus' magic. He collapses from exhaustion at the end of the game, but by that point Helios was already returned to the sky.

Do you even know what I'm specifically referring to?

First off, it's made pretty clear that the Morpheus's power affects all, both man and gods. As for the effects speed, Athena herself literally falls asleep in front of him. Kratos doesn't, which means he's resisting it to some degree.

And that's not the instance I was referring to, I was referring to Kratos succumbing to Morpheus grip while riding Helios's temple.

And can you provide evidence for the human stuff? I didn't see it while gathering the scans.

As for the Gods stuff, the only God who isn't affected is Eos, who's right next to the Primordial Fire, the source of Helios's that keeps Morpheus at bay, and it's heavily implied that's it's a source she uses to empower herself.

Not needing sleep is considered supporting evidence for resistance to Sleep Manipulation, if I'm interpreting the self sustenance page correctly.

First off, it's made pretty clear that the Morpheus's power affects all, both man and gods. As for the effects speed, Athena herself literally falls asleep in front of him. Kratos doesn't, which means he's resisting it to some degree.
Only the gods are falling asleep. We never see this happen to humans passively. Like I said, the only point in which other humans are seen they are all awake.
Kratos succumbing to Morpheus grip while riding Helios's temple
Because he's being blasted with the fog. In the main game play you literally can't enter the fog because the fog damages you, and you have to push flaming carts around for the specific purpose of avoiding it. This is just an anti-feat.

And can you provide evidence for the human stuff? I didn't see it while gathering the scans.
It's when Kratos first emerges after seeing the sun go down. When you return to Marathon you hear voiced lines saying "run for your lives" "away with you" "help." Everyone is awake, they're just getting killed by monsters.

Only the gods are falling asleep. We never see this happen to humans passively. Like I said, the only point in which other humans are seen they are all awake.
You mean the point where the fog only started? Where it's described as being slow?

And the statement is pretty clear, it affects all, Gods or man.
Because he's being blasted with the fog. In the main game play you literally can't enter the fog because the fog damages you, and you have to push flaming carts around for the specific purpose of avoiding it. This is just an anti-feat.
Kratos had Morpheus's power on his ass from the start.
It's when Kratos first emerges after seeing the sun go down. When you return to Marathon you hear voiced lines saying "run for your lives" "away with you" "help." Everyone is awake, they're just getting killed by monsters.
Addressed above.

Also, if you're argument is it's only affecting the gods, then saying Kratos was affected is a shot in the foot, as he isn't at this point.

Bump, and a vote tally.

Agree: Deagonx, Maverick_Zero_X, Firestorm808, Theglassman12 (Weather Manipulation), DarkGrath (Weather Manipulation/Resistance to Madness Manipulation)
Disagree: Theglassman12 (Resistance to Sleep Manipulation/Resistance to Madness Manipulation)
Neutral: DarkGrath (Resistance to Sleep Manipulation)

Last edited:
Engaging in this thread against my better judgment. I've read through everything so far. Agree with removing Weather Manip, disagree with removing Resistance to Sleep Manip, neutral on Resistance to Madness Manip

Weather manipulation seems to be fine, iirc it was Baldur's death that caused Fimbulwinter to occur unless someone can prove me wrong.
It wasl iirc it was something connected to nature reacting to events of significance (Like Loki's dying state causing blood red storms). I think it's fine to stay "as limited weather manipulation" though; a foreign god who butchered a pantheon (someone who isn't part of fated stuff) would have a huge footprint. Defo agree with the Fury thing not being Madness hax (I actually think the Sirens' song might be better proof)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back