• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Almighty: Clarification (Bleach manga and cfyow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There doesn't have to be a standard for asking to wait for a bit more clarity because in this case, clarity is important. If you think other verses require more clarity in any of their translations, you are free to question those cases. Whataboutism is not an argument here.
But there isn't official rule forcing a wait. It's an arbitrary wait that has never been done before

And like I posted above, if a wait is being forced upon right now can we at the very minimum get more mod input

There doesn't have to be a standard for asking to wait for a bit more clarity because in this case, clarity is important. If you think other verses require more clarity in any of their translations, you are free to question those cases. Whataboutism is not an argument here.
Asking for extra clarity in this case is unnecessary.......its more than qualifying for our standards as it is.....and Viz translations aren't going to affect even iota of it......so waiting is unnecessary.

If we follow that, then this thread doesn't apply. The raws are given (meaning you can check on yourself) and explained even to the smallest particle.
Also if one tried to delete things like Instant Death or K3, it would never happen at all. Bleach shouldn't be an exception just because it's Bleach.
And I am saying that I am not 100% sold on the fan translations that are coming out of the "raws" and would require a bit more clarity that will be given to me when the official comes out. Bleach is not an exception here.

Also as an official translator, why would we put official translations above the raws?

Litterary translation are especially meant to not be litteral ones, and some meaning can get a bit lost or confused depending of how it's done.
Japanese have this case further accentuated by how the language is, and Viz sure isn't doing litteral translations works.

I'm just reiterating there is no official rule to force a wait. There is no objective proof it is releasing in 2 weeks, given that it has already delayed twice without any notice prior. For all of the talk of waiting, if there is somehow a difference then what is stopping a CRT from being made at the time of release?

And I am saying that I am not 100% sold on the fan translations that are coming out of the "raws" and would require a bit more clarity that will be given to me when the official comes out. Bleach is not an exception here.
Shinza, DBH, Konosuba and suchlike have it differently.

Also you seem to miss the fact that the raws are also in the post. Got a doubt? You can always try translating yourself. Not enough context? Just ask for it.

Again, by the "raws", you mean fan translations of the raws. Because we don't use raws. We use translations of the raws. And that's done by different people. I don't see why we shouldn't wait for the official when there is contention, just to be sure. Nothing makes one translation superior to the other, but a regular user would obviously prefer to have the official to match your "fan translations of the raws" for surety, and that's what's being asked for here.

Again, by the "raws", you mean fan translations of the raws. Because we don't use raws. We use translations of the raws. And that's done by different people. I don't see why we shouldn't wait for the official when there is contention, just to be sure. Nothing makes one translation superior to the other, but a regular user would obviously prefer to have the official to match your "fan translations of the raws" for surety, and that's what's being asked for here.
You think the japanese text is a translation...?

Nobody is saying to cancel the CRT over this.

We're just asking for a bit of patience. Nothing is cost by simply waiting for it.

You don't need an official rule forcing you to stop when you could just stop out of consideration for others.

We have site translators for a reason do we not?

And I've already provided a reason as to why a wait is arbitrary given the delays.

You think the japanese text is a translation...?
Do I understand Japanese? No. Does this site use Japanese as a language? No. What does this site use? English. So how do you get English from Japanese? Through translations. What are translations? Not raws.

stop out of the consideration of others.

If we're going to go with this, there are three asking for a wait, more than that asking for not.

Which is why I asked if we can get more mods to vote on this. I am not content with two given I have already provided reasoning as to why it's arbitrary which hasn't been responded to besides the whole site translator versus official translator thing

Do I understand Japanese? No. Does this site use Japanese as a language? No. What does this site use? English. So how do you get English from Japanese? Through translations. What are translations? Not raws.
Do we have translators for this very purpose? Yeah.
Are the raws given ? Yeah.
What if there's a doubt on the translation? Take the raws for yourself and see.
Do we use a lots of verse with no official english traduction ? Some of our most famous are.
Is Bleach any different? Sure not.

Again, by the "raws", you mean fan translations of the raws. Because we don't use raws. We use translations of the raws. And that's done by different peop
We do give on site translators some credit....they are always available to question and crosscheck...why should we suddenly doubt them....when Viz translations matters not here.

but a regular user would obviously prefer to have the official to match your "fan translations of the raws" for surety, and that's what's being asked for here.
Regular users are mostly trusting.....even if a doubtful one appears and questions the validity we are always here to quell the doubt....and again...Viz ttranslations won't affect anything anyway....so even if regular user compares on site translations against backdrop of Viz......On site translations would previal anyway.
So waiting is unnecessary.
Viz at end of day is comlete non factor.

Is that not one of the functions of the site translators? To take raw Japanese text and convert it to English correctly.
Site translators are fans. And if there is a point of contention with the translations, I don't see why people can't wait for the official when it's coming out in some time just to be sure. It would only provide more context and avoid the mistakes of the past that happened when people tried to jump the gun.

Site translators are fans. And if there is a point of contention with the translations, I don't see why people can't wait for the official when it's coming out in some time just to be sure. It would only provide more context and avoid the mistakes of the past that happened when people tried to jump the gun.
Nobody has a point of contention with the translations though, at least not a genuine one, you just said yourself that you don't understand Japanese, and I'm going to assume Damage doesn't either, several people here who do understand Japanese have translated the raws for this and came to the same conclusion.

Do we use a lots of verse with no official english traduction ? Some of our most famous are.
Is Bleach any different? Sure not.
Bleach is not different, but the difference sure is present here. Unlike the other examples, the official is just around the corner, and unlike the other examples, there is clear contention here.

I think we are being unappreciative and dismissive of our translators here.....Qlipoth and Redgrave or anyone else have no stake in giving wrong translations and aren't amateurs either to make mistakes.

Bleach is not different, but the difference sure is present here. Unlike the other examples, the official is just around the corner, and unlike the other examples, there is clear contention here.
Technically there isn't contention here.....atleast not now.....it shouldn't even have been in the first place.

Going with the beginning of this post. Would this not mean that priority wise there's literally no difference between something given by a site translator and something given by a translation from say, reddit?

In which case what is even the point of having a site translator? To my understanding they are given their position because they have proven that the translations can be trusted alongside the fact that they understand the language and can accurately translate it. As for other off-site fan translations usually there is no verification method for the quality.

The official supposed translators for this are hired fans/workers. They are just as possible to make mistakes as supposed fans. It was shown in this very thread that the fan translation can be above the official given the whole Uryu shenanigans that happened.

This Nonwithstanding the very potential delay issues

At this point we are going through massive circles.

Like I asked for quite a few times, can we at the very minimum ask for the input of other mods as well. Even damage said more input would be fine

I already explained a bit above how official translations aren't necessarily better.

And the point of contention isn't even a true one here. A part of the OP explanation is based on how the word is treated in the japanese. Official translators aren't gods who can perfectly retranscripted these kind of stuff.

Also if we want to talk about translations, we have Umineko ones who sometimes miss entire sentences or aren't consistent in their use of a name like Creator. And these are the "official" ones.

I think we are being unappreciative and dismissive of our translators here.....Qlipoth and Redgrave or anyone else have no stake in giving wrong translations and aren't amateurs either to make mistakes.
I am not being dismissive because I haven't even said that I dismiss their translations as incorrect or that they would provide wrong translations. For verses that don't receive English translations, I get using the fan translations because that's all we got. Neither am I saying that the official is "always" accurate. But when you are going to get the official in some time, then why not just wait for it to be sure. At the end of the day, every random user is going to read the official one for Bleach, not the fan translation of this site, and if something is different there, then we'll have to do the same song and dance again. It's just inherently better to get our hands on that, rather than jumping the gun and doing something inaccurate.

In general, most people online don't even read the viz, since the fan translations for volume one and volume two were out for years. I don't think that's going to be as big of an issue as it's being painted to be. But this shouldn't even matter given we have fluent speakers who translated the original text.

This is again assuming that we are objectively getting it on the 20th which you can't prove given consistent delays.

I'm sorry but I am literally not budging on the wait. Not unless we're going to more mods which damage was fine with.

Wait a minute..
If there is such a hard pressed for a wait for volume three..
Why does hikone's page exist then, alongside multipliers for volume three that affects a massive amount of ap across the verse that specifically comes from that novel....

There is translators here why wait months if we arent even sure the product (Novel) will even come out in this instance?

Wait a minute..
There is such a hard pressed for a wait for volume three..
Why does hikone's page exist then, alongside multipliers for volume three that affects a massive amount of ap across the verse that specifically comes from that novel....

If it were solely up to me with the benefit of hindsight, those pages wouldn't exist.

But they were made years ago, long before it was even confirmed that we'd be getting an English translation for the novels.

The multipliers were added after we had confirmation though. Heck it was at the very minimum after an official release of volume 1

Yeah no, we currently use way too much of volume three to dismiss a singular element from it for a forced wait

If Viz translations are the same, then the thread goes through.
If Viz translations differ too much or divert from the context, then we use raws and the thread goes through.
There is literally no point in waiting. Like at all. I would understand if it was the whole novel, but this is a single kanji and we are already more than aware of the context behind it.
After all of these circular arguments, my stance still has not changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back