• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Thanos vs Odin/ A Thanos AP upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanos vs
Thanos vs. Odi

As we can see here base Thanos is decently able to hold his own against Odin who here is 2-C. Now according to our page for Thanos he is 4-B for being stronger than Silver Surfer however we aren't exactly how much stronger though. This comic though give a pretty decent high-ball of Thanos being 2-C simply performing rather well against Odin, but does that make really Thanos 2-C?

Well, yes and no, after all 2-C Thanos is a high-ball and high-ball can seem like no limits fallacy.

What can be suggested though is that base Thanos be ranked 'At least 4-B, possibly 2-C'.

I read that, Thanos was objectively weaker. That alone should make the scaling to be a no but keep in mind that, this is Marvel, more instances of him being on this level are needed. The logic here was "Thor<Thanos<Odin, therefore Thanos can fight Odin but not beat him", this always happens, just having one character above or below you in terms of power means they can fight each other (in Marvel and DC), also other characters like Gamora could fight him not so long ago from that battle. Thanos isn't "possibly" this powerful, he's shown and stated to be on the same levels of every other 4-B character.

I this there is also the Infinity Finale comic, in it Thanos tanked a weapon capable of killing Celestials

Infinity - Complete Story Comicstorian
Infinity - Complete Story Comicstoria

I will try to find more to support 2-C Thanos if I can though

The problem, as usual with Marvel, is its extreme inconsistency. It simply does not make any sense for Thanos to be regularly inconvenienced by Earth's superheroes if he is 2-A. Sorry.

Thanos is constantly and consistently stated to be holding back against 4-Bs and subconsciously allows himself to lose. I'm not saying that grants him odin scaling, but for god's sakes, give the man a "varies" or an "at least".

I do not think that he has ever been stated to hold back against 4-Bs, and only used to subconsciously allow cosmic power to slip out of his grasp.

Thanos has some others feats surviving against characters at same level of Odin and Above. Also looking at the Tyrant history we see he was capable of hurt a Galactus who had fed to face him. Thanos should scale to him as well.

ZephyrosOmega said:
Thanos is constantly and consistently stated to be holding back against 4-Bs and subconsciously allows himself to lose. I'm not saying that grants him odin scaling, but for god's sakes, give the man a "varies" or an "at least".
The first just means he's a very strong 4-B, he gets hurted and killed by others. The second is not true at all, Thanos didn't find himself worthy of his ultimate power, this is not the same as him always subconsciously allowing himself to lose on a regular basis. Just because comics are inconsistent that doesn't mean some overhyped characters in them deserve a "varies" tier. An "at least" would be more reasonable, I'm neutral with it.

I'll later see the respect thread and point out what updates can come from it.

I've seen that respect thread. While it's been some time since I looked it over, I do remember that you have to be careful with it. There are some scenes taken right out of context.

EX: Thanos making the In-Betweener bleed. The guy didn't give full context. The In-Betweener's powers were at their lowest point when Thanos did that.

you think, or you know?

I have read most Thanos comics, and I do not recall it.

Walker was supposedly capable of killing Death, and she had to hide from him. So possibly 2-A.

Thor did roughly as well against Walker as Thanos did in that story, and we cannot scale him to 2-A either. Marvel is ridiculously inconsistent, so we have to try to avoid scaling from outliers as best as we can.

@Eficiente & C2

Thank you for helping out.

Defo Inconsistent, Thanos has already been negged by Phoenix Avatars, a Starving Galactus, been harmed by Thor, Drax, Surfer, more times than he has 2-C feats

Him tanking the celestial killing weapon wasn't what happened last time I checked btw, still don't know where it comes from.

Walker obviously didn't even want to kill Thanos because he was looking for Death's location, last time I checked, and he only was stated to be able bust a galaxy at some point.

The Power Gem and All the other Gems differ in power depending on who uses them, due to the user's will and imagination.

And Odin himself also holds back, and has far better feats than Thanos, even while weakend.

@Eficiente & C2

Do you think that we should use "At least 4-B, possibly far higher"?

@Ant

I think that Thanos should stay 4-B. Annihilus is now on par with him, which would mean that Thanos is above the likes of Nova, given that Annihilus beat Nova while in a weaker state.

We just need to tweak Thanos' justification. Something like:

Solar System level (Consistently shown as superior to the likes of Silver Surfer and Thor. Should be stronger than Nova)

@C2

I suppose that seems reasonable.

@Zephyros

That would be far too inconsistent with their portrayals in relation to other characters. Sorry.

I removed the comments, including my own.

I'm just concerned since I created this thread to verify if Thanos is 2-C or not through civil discussion. I would would be rather disapointed if it gets closed or deleted because of derailment issues.

You shouldn't really worry, I reckon that is far less likely to occur as like, 3 staff members are subscribed to thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back