• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Swirl of The Root - Nasuverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
which in layman's terms means using the real-life book/source in comparison to what was presented in the verse, what would it even bring to the conversation?
If it has a less solid basis, then using it as an analogy to some thing with a more solid basis is practically useless.
I could show something extremely similar to the description of the Root inside a cultivation novel
Sure do that
The main contention I have is, what would it even serve for?
I just explained like I did beforehand in the thread as well.
Realistically there is way more probability of cultivation novels replicating almost 1/1 their source material that originates from their country than something outside of China
This is just time wasting, there's no probability or any system of probability established for you to verify that. I can be from the west and still have more knowledge about eastern philosophy Than western philosophy.

There's no realistically there's way more probability, that's just arbitrary.
The point is, my example would only be a drop of water in an ocean of untranslated or obscure novels that may go to the same extent or even further.
May is another useless term to use in thread, I quite frankly couldn't care about that.

That's just a good as saying, oh Nasu may be talking about the actual absolute infinity so we should accept that out of sheer possibility that he might!!!

And suffice the possibility by referring to it as a logical possibility because it doesn't contradict the laws of thought.
About that.
I think he’s saying they have 3D perceptible flesh and blood
Adding 3D to a source that doesn't mention 3D has to be some sort of reality warping power again 🗣️

If it has a less solid basis, then using it as an analogy to some thing with a more solid basis is practically useless.

Sure do that
I don't know how to answer to not clog the thread with a gigantic message, so I'll try to answer within a "spoiler" tag. I hope it will work since I'm not quite used to how to do it efficiently. I apologize in advance if anything is weirdly formulated. Do tell me if I need to change something!

The first point in the OP is that the Tao is the origin and end of everything.

To equivocate, I'll use this quote: Lin Feng’s Dao fruit of before was hard to define and describe, but it could still be described as a “dot”, and one could still feel the concept of power that represented the beginning and the end of all things.

The second point was the ineffability of the Eternal Tao.

This quote: However, after Lin Feng’s Dao fruit transformed and after the Bell of Destiny transformed, people began to feel a real sense of indescribability.

It wasn’t because there was a lack of vocabulary, and neither was it because there was simply no way of describing it. People just had a feeling that no matter how they described it and no matter how much they tried to understand, they would still have a wrong answer.

[...]

Everyone had a different sensation and understanding as they watched Lin Feng in this moment. They couldn’t really describe what they saw and felt, and neither could they estimate, understand, or define.

The third point was that the Eternal Tao is nothingness beyond any means of description. (In case the above somehow doesn't suffice.)

Quote: All that was left was a patch of nothingness – it was obscure, murky, and nothing much could be seen while the entire scene was almost impossible to describe and understand.

This nothingness hovered over Lin Feng’s head. It felt like this nothingness had a form and substance, but Xiao Yan and the others watched on but felt an inscrutable feeling rise from the bottom of their hearts.

[...]

Lin Feng was underneath this patch of nothingness, and he seemed to transcend above all logic and reason.

Everything that seemed incredulous, impossible, or unimaginable, felt normal for Lin Feng.

The fourth point is the Tao being over duality and stuff.

Quote :
Lin Feng was conducting his seminar while seated down, and there was a Dao fruit above his head. It was a single dot that continuously displayed the principles of the Book of Taiji and continuously explained the boundless principles and concepts of the great Dao.

There was nothing else besides this tiny dot. There was no time, there was no space, there was no Yin and Yang, there was no warmth or coldness, there was no fast and slow, there was no light or darkness.

The concept of space was nonexistent, and one wouldn’t be able to tell up from down and left from right. There was no sense of time, and one couldn’t tell the past from the future.

There was no way of describing its size, and no way of describing its shape. Nobody could pinpoint its exact location, and nobody could understand what this single dot was made of.

It felt like the beginning of the Dao, yet it also felt like the ultimate end of the great Dao. There was no head and no tail, no beginning and no end – it was just so mystical, and all the wisdom and profundities of the world were condensed into this single dot.

This is just time wasting, there's no probability or any system of probability established for you to verify that. I can be from the west and still have more knowledge about eastern philosophy Than western philosophy.

There's no realistically there's way more probability, that's just arbitrary.
I mean sure, I never implied that someone outside of China/Eastern territory couldn't comprehend their philosophy better than the Western one, probably that it exists too. I'm not basing myself on pure speculation either, you just have to go check websites like Qidian to realize the number of Xianxia stuff is WAY higher than anything currently present on the Western side. It's just simple maths really. Again, outsiders can write stuff regarding Taoism too and it already exists (on Webnovel or Royalroad for example) but people living in the land where Taoism originated and writing about the Xianxia genre on a daily basis seem more inclined to deal with that kind of stuff and replicating their original source.

Checking solely on Qidian, there is at the very least 100K+ Xianxia novels currently being written or already finished. Comparing it with Webnovel and not counting the translated novels (for obvious reasons) we barely reach more than one thousand.

To take an example within the wiki, the Ergenverse can still exist on its own without the usage of a real-life counterpart. Even if somehow Taoism disappeared overnight, it wouldn't change anything to its tier because it's self-sufficient. If you can make the exact same OP without any scans or explanations coming from the Tao Te Ching or other sources but solely by using inner concepts from the verse alongside your own deduction and still reach the same conclusion then I'll gladly agree with you, meanwhile, I still feel its stretched for now. (Although I can see the similarities.)

I mean, we can lock it or something.

But for the thread itself @Tdjwo please contact other stuff. Currently this isn't going anywhere.
I think this thread can wait till the negative theology post on the Staff discussion thread ends. It's not like I'm rushing for it to get accepted immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back