• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Holy Shit bro Akira passed away... I cant believe this, this hit me so hard, like so so sudden and hard.. RIP legend Miss u already 😢

Last edited:
And also, more importantly, R.I.P. Toriyama. Such a sudden departure for such an icon. The impact of this loss is immeasurable. But let's not be sad for him passing, let's be happy that he was here in the first place and left behind such a legacy. A legacy most people could only dream of.
His work was and still is so big and influental it will not be forgotten..

So it's safe to say these redraws are unprecedented. Even the Cosmic Garou redraw was just one chapter- Murata's literally stopping regular production in order to redraw an entire arc.

Why?

Well, there's a lot of different reasons but I feel like last chapter caused so many complaints it forced the editors to respond or made ONE decide to step in. If you had to pick one particular scene that made them stop and say "yeah we need a do-over" what do you think it would be?

For me, I think it was the cartoon monster cells with Sonic. That was stupid and it made "God" look stupid which I think may have been unacceptable to ONE.

So it's safe to say these redraws are unprecedented. Even the Cosmic Garou redraw was just one chapter- Murata's literally stopping regular production in order to redraw an entire arc.

Why?

Well, there's a lot of different reasons but I feel like last chapter caused so many complaints it forced the editors to respond or made ONE decide to step in. If you had to pick one particular scene that made them stop and say "yeah we need a do-over" what do you think it would be?

For me, I think it was the cartoon monster cells with Sonic. That was stupid and it made "God" look stupid which I think may have been unacceptable to ONE.
Murata's redesigns seem amateurish to me.

I understand redesigns like: I forgot to draw the character's mustache, I forgot to put the character's scar, I can improve the drawing in that part that wasn't good.

But these huge redesigns, which completely change a fight or the entire direction of the manga (cosmic garou), seem amateurish to me.

It seems to me that they don't have the slightest bit of planning (even though there is a base, the webcomic), I think it's a very false way of telling a story.

Because like, sometimes it doesn't seem like the author is writing what he wants. It seems like he first scribbles, checks people's opinions on the internet and then completely changes what he already had to please people.

For some this may seem good, it may even be and I'm just complaining. But I don't know, I keep thinking it's not authentic, because like, I think it's very easy to write a story and if I see that people don't like it I go and redesign the whole thing to please people.

Like, what was this Garou redesign? One moment One and Murata wanted to do Saitama talking to the guy and the next month he did this cosmic thing? It doesn't seem natural to me.

Of course, redesigns can improve the story. I just don't like how he is abused by Murata, because I think that making a story like this where you keep redrawing it all the time is very easy to do (easy to do in terms of telling the story and not in terms of drawings)

Well, that's just me complaining for the sake of complaining.

Why?

Agree. Also agree with @Phsccarvalho

I love OPM but the writing in the manga is...weird. Most authors, and by that I mean almost any known author with even a moderately successful series, writes things way in advance. Many authors will write entire arcs or even the entire story before drawing a single page of it. Murata and ONE seem to be just "rolling with it". Using the WC as a sort of foundation and adding little things as they go, which has consistently led to problems, which in turn often leads to redraws. I think Murata has redrawn over 30 entire chapters in total at this point. They took a different route with Garou Vs. Saitama in the manga, or hell just a different route with Garou's character in general, and it led to a redraw that led to CF Garou, which, while very cool and probably the best fights in the series, not to mention how it builds up God even further, still felt very sudden and just blatantly random. Like ONE and Murata were caught off-guard by the backlash, and in a rush to please the fans they just said "UH UH UM OH GAROU JUST GETS SOME OF GOD'S POWER AND STUFF THEY'LL LOVE IT". I think that the result was positive but such random decisions can't be common place.

If it's the same thing this time, I'm gonna really start being concerned about ONE's focus on OPM. He's working on several series at once and it's probably really tough to write the stories for all of them at once without messing up like he did recently, and Murata is stressed for time as-is with his unreasonably tight schedule, I get that the man is an absolute demon in art but he just needs more time. Occasionally they'll mess up of course. But messing up so bad you feel like it's necessary to redo the last 7 chapters right after finishing them is where it becomes a genuine problem. Like I'm not mad about the story or it being set-back, I'm just worried that ONE and Murata are overworking themselves and not realizing that it will backfire on the story of their main series.

Most authors, and by that I mean almost any known author with even a moderately successful series, writes things way in advance. Many authors will write entire arcs or even the entire story before drawing a single page of it.
I don't think that's the problem. Not every author has everything ready obviously, and sometimes it changes over time.

From what I know, DB's Cell saga was just being written (I could be totally wrong, I didn't research it, so sorry if I'm wrong), and a lot of people love the cell saga (I've been talking about the cell saga since the appearance of trunks)

The problem is that OPM abuses redesign so much that it changes so many things, that it seems to me that One and Murata don't even know how to control their own story.

But messing up so bad you feel like it's necessary to redo the last 7 chapters right after finishing them is where it becomes a genuine problem. Like I'm not mad about the story or it being set-back, I'm just worried that ONE and Murata are overworking themselves and not realizing that it will backfire on the story of their main series.
I think they knew it was going to need redraws, like I said a few posts above, the quality drop was very noticeable from the very beggining of the arc and kept going chapter after chapter. I (kinda) refuse to believe One and Murata believed at the start that this was going to work just fine. My bet is that they were tight on schedule and just went going just to keep the OPM chapters, and now they will take what we currently have and add more stuff

This, however, doesn’t really excuse their mistake in my opinion. OPM is, as far as I know, their most successful material and while I understand more money is great, they must be careful with the amount of projects they take, I made this mistake several times irl until I noticed I started to never give my best on stuff I liked because I just had way too many projects going on, I hope they realize OPM manga and anime is where their top priority should be

I think Murata has redrawn over 30 entire chapters in total at this point.
Its far more than that. In the ONEBUKURO books Murata directly stated that ONE rejected enough material to fit multiple manga volumes, which was all the way back in 2013-2015. Heck, Murata even said all the back then that he feel he needs to redraw the manga because he can never be good enough for what he envisions.

In fact something I noticed was a comment he made when he still streamed
A: (Laugh furiously) Yeah, but I wouldn't know until then, because King said he saw the panties. Hmmm...How about I draw it using ONE sensei style just for that panel haha (T: Please do draw it in a super lewd way). I'm worry about the Garou arc, I gonna have to pay extra attention to a lot of stuff, guess I'm going to redraw a tons, since its the climax of the manga.
That is a weird thing to say in my view. This really does lead me to believe that basically ONE gives him a bullet point of a script and Murata is allowed to free ball it, but then ONE will then have him redo entire sections based on backlash or issues from having him freeball it.

According to Murata it had to be ONE
Murata: Even though I've done the discussion with ONE sensei, and usually he leaves the fighting scene for me, but sometimes ONE sensei will tell me what should it feels like on certain scenario, and that is why I'm redrawing like a mad man on some occasion. And regarding the making of OPM, we already settled with the editorial department, the story line and plots are all on ONE sensei, I'm only going to handle the drawings, the editors can't intervene at all. I will never make any comments on ONE sensei's decision, like how should the character behave or such, everything and everyone shall follow ONE sensei. When I'm drawing shorts with ONE sensei, the editors proposed some ideas on it but it got rejected directly, because everything and everyone shall follow ONE sensei. Of course the editor is a guy with good insight, I'm not saying he is bad or anything.
Based on what he is saying ONE has like, complete and utter control over the Manga. The Editor has no veto rights for the story like they do in Shonen Jump, though there are a few times where the Editor has said that something wouldn't work for a printed manga like glow in the dark ink.

Last edited:
Murata's redesigns seem amateurish to me.

I understand redesigns like: I forgot to draw the character's mustache, I forgot to put the character's scar, I can improve the drawing in that part that wasn't good.

But these huge redesigns, which completely change a fight or the entire direction of the manga (cosmic garou), seem amateurish to me.

It seems to me that they don't have the slightest bit of planning (even though there is a base, the webcomic), I think it's a very false way of telling a story.

Because like, sometimes it doesn't seem like the author is writing what he wants. It seems like he first scribbles, checks people's opinions on the internet and then completely changes what he already had to please people.

For some this may seem good, it may even be and I'm just complaining. But I don't know, I keep thinking it's not authentic, because like, I think it's very easy to write a story and if I see that people don't like it I go and redesign the whole thing to please people.

Like, what was this Garou redesign? One moment One and Murata wanted to do Saitama talking to the guy and the next month he did this cosmic thing? It doesn't seem natural to me.

Of course, redesigns can improve the story. I just don't like how he is abused by Murata, because I think that making a story like this where you keep redrawing it all the time is very easy to do (easy to do in terms of telling the story and not in terms of drawings)

Well, that's just me complaining for the sake of complaining.
i totally agree with you

but people here usually sucks murata’s balls and does not accept opposite opinions

murata, more than saving is ruining the verse.

When will they reveal that versus is connected to opm
Tonight in your dreams.

Nah but I severely doubt it'll happen. ONE likes to make references to other series of his sometimes but keeps them completely unconnected. I think we could get a reference to Versus or maybe vice versa but them being canonically connected is very unlikely imo. I mean it'd be cool but also kind of unnecessary. Though if ONE did a little one-shot spin-off crossover story that'd be lit.

Based on what he is saying ONE has like, complete and utter control over the Manga. The Editor has no veto rights for the story like they do in Shonen Jump, though there are a few times where the Editor has said that something wouldn't work for a printed manga like glow in the dark ink.
This is true, plus Murata had previously said that whatever he does is what one asks him to do. I don't see the point in those who accuse Murata.

This is true, plus Murata had previously said that whatever he does is what one asks him to do. I don't see the point in those who accuse Murata.
People sometimes can't accept or even fathom that ONE isn't a perfect writer like any other human being on the planet, so they blame it on Murata "influencing" the story. I mean Murata does have influence and sometimes he has made impacts on the story, but like 90% of it is ONE. He is THE writer for OPM, Murata is just the guy that draws what ONE tells him to.

The editor also makes very little impact though he can probably chime in.

People sometimes can't accept or even fathom that ONE isn't a perfect writer like any other human being on the planet, so they blame it on Murata "influencing" the story. I mean Murata does have influence and sometimes he has made impacts on the story, but like 90% of it is ONE. He is THE writer for OPM, Murata is just the guy that draws what ONE tells him to.

The editor also makes very little impact though he can probably chime in.
In defense of Murata being responsible for some of the most recent changes, ONE is also writing Versus and the webcomic right now, even Bug Ego is also still getting his attention as well. ONE took a long hiatus from OPM to work on Mob Psycho right? I assume he would at least be stepping back somewhat from the manga's production under his current workload.

If he does loosen his grip on the fine details it only makes sense that Murata, who's handled OPM so well for so long, would see the autonomy's he been granted for small action sequences and the like get expanded. For example, during the Boros arc I recall ONE had Murata redraw a few sequences with Boros because he made Boros look too silly. Do you think ONE wrote the scene where God appeared to Sonic as chibi monster cells? That sounds like Murata's sense of humor going a little too far for me.

That's not to say that ONE hasn't been approving all of the changes people have complained about up until now (or authored them himself), but I believe many of the tonal changes we've seen since the latter half of the monster association are Murata's work. I don't think these redraws are happening just because Murata's a perfectionist but rather because Murata took his autonomy a little far outside the bounds of ONE's blueprint this time.

So apparently the season 3 anime trailer dopped, and I just found out lmfao. Looks pretty solid, and a step up from season 2.
Don't get your hopes up, I saw the opinions of some guys who are involved in this world of animation, etc., and they said that this trailer is not part of the episodes.

Their words:
The PV for One Punch Man 3 is pre-made. It was animated by Kenichiro Aoki and supervised by Kazunori Ozawa. They put good animators to do exclusive work for a PV that is NOT part of the episodes. Therefore, the final result of the anime may be different from this.

While Aoki will be a de facto animator on the project, Ozawa is a freelance animator, and as stated, these scenes are not from the episodes. Aoki's work should continue to be good, but there is no guarantee that the scenes will be like this in the anime. Of course, they can be reused in it.

Don't get your hopes up, I saw the opinions of some guys who are involved in this world of animation, etc., and they said that this trailer is not part of the episodes.

Their words:
Is this the Booru comment? Can you post the link to these words?

I posted this earlier () but that post is so anonymous it can't be verified. Now if your quote can be traced back to named animators who would know about production that would be trustworthy

Nah they won't be. Last time they straight up stopped the manga to do a redraw it was Cosmic Garou and I'd say that was a pretty big change

empty void will say: in fact, in case you didn't know, I am an infinite-dimensional being, I transcend dualities and even if you erase my soul, body, mind and concepts, I can keep coming back. So I hope that bald guy over there doesn't defeat me with a single punch and then copy all my powers.

Last edited:
I had seen an old tweet by Murata talking about superstring theory, which postulates the existence of at least 10 higher dimensions. Imagine Murata adding it to the story
As far as I know, Murata read the fanmade story of "Saitama vs God" so he should know about dimensions at the very least.

Idk he seems higher dimensional nobody appears to even have the ability to interact with him if he doesn’t want them to like saitama can hear see and interact with dimensions yet can’t perceive him stomping on the ground in front of him blast despite being able to travel dimensions and manipulate space and time can’t access gods dimension implying it’s a higher dimension or something

Last edited:
Back