• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
We can use the formula, but the anime timeframe would make Elder Centipede very very slow and probably like 7-C. The laser takes 5 seconds to reach EC, it's moving subsonic and EC would likely be subsonic by extension with the anime timeframe, despite the fact that we can see shockwaves at a couple points in the manga demonstrating that he is at least supersonic. I don't think Genos's lazers were like 150 m/s at any point in time, let alone in his post-superfight form.

The lasers are obviously some kind of supersonic, the difficulty would be finding a means of comparison that doesn't undersell the speed.

Elder Centipede breaks the sound barrier when going to intercept Genos's beam. I keep saying this and you guys ignore me.
...we can see shockwaves at a couple points in the manga demonstrating that he is at least supersonic...
I'm not ignoring you, I've stated the same thing myself as well and since I'm the one who's most likely to calc this, you don't need to worry about that being considered. Any calc that puts EC's speed below supersonic would be making a mistake, which is why I will not use the anime timeframe. I know he's supersonic, I just want to find a more specific analogy for the beam speed so I can get better (and bigger) results.

Last edited:
I'm not ignoring you, I've stated the same thing myself as well and since I'm the one who's most likely to calc this, you don't need to worry about that being considered. Any calc that puts EC's speed below supersonic would be making a mistake, which is why I will not use the anime timeframe. I know he's supersonic, I just want to find a more specific analogy for the beam speed so I can get better (and bigger results).
Would it be logical to scale his beams above his previous incarnations?

What does that mean?
He's asking if we could calc the speed of genos's beam in any of his previous forms, say we calc the speed of his beams in his arms mode, and then use that speed for the beam here since it isn't going to be slower.

I know normally that would be calc-stacking, but when the verse is consistent about a certain speed, height or whatever we can use that calculated item in different equations since the rule about calc-stacking only exists to prevent circular wank/using perspective to wank results/ignoring in-verse inconsistencies to get narratively unfounded results. I will ask some CGM's about this.

Well, we need to find the speed somehow, if we're ever going to calculate EC's KE.

If we can't compare the beam to anything like that, then I guess I can assume Phoenix Man has the travel speed of a pterodactyl or something and find out EC's speed from that panel. It will be hard to do that though since there's no fixed perspective to triangulate the distance PM is travelling.

So I used Uskla's weight for EC and used baseline supersonic speed, the result I got was: 68.06018743194789522 kilotons or 7-C

That is an F.
Yeah, but EC is much faster than that and that particular weight assumes EC is 317 meters long lol, when he clearly doesn't have regular centipede width to length ratio and is at least a couple kilometers long in pre and post molt. The 4466 meter length is closer the total length that you can approximate by pixel-scaling every shot he appears in (varies from 2-6 km above ground and on-screen, half of the body is normally below), so I would multiply Uskla's weight by 14 if I wanted to guessestimate his KE. That way you get a lowball of 3.294×10^15 joules, or 787 kilotons, High 7-C+.

A more reasonable speed would be like mach 5 or above (EC's gotta crap ton of shockwaves around him when he first emerges), which will get you comfortably 7-B results, however a 7-A or High 7-A EC KE are possiblities as well if we ever find the speed. I've been obsessing over this for months, but it's hard to get something like this done around here.

Basically I want to find EC's KE because there's more 7-B, 7-A stuff out there and we can change the host of "possibly 7-A's" to definitive "7-As" if we can point to a group of 7-A feats, namely Homeless's beams and EC's KE.

I'm not sure speed you have to be to cause shockwaves? I thought that was baseline supersonic?

If EC's mass is wrong tho then I guess that should be adjusted.

But I don't think we can just choose speeds like Mach 5 just to comfortably get the 7-B to 7-A results we want.

Also HE as of now should not scale to anyone other than those clearly above him.

Ok so now that I'm using EC's weight from Uskla x 14, the new result is: 952.84262479034418902 kilotons or High 7-C+

I'm not sure speed you have to be to cause shockwaves? I thought that was baseline supersonic?

If EC's mass is wrong tho then I guess that should be adjusted.

But I don't think we can just choose speeds like Mach 5 just to comfortably get the 7-B to 7-A results we want.

Also HE as of now should not scale to anyone other than those clearly above him.
Right, anything at mach 1 or higher creates shockwaves, however as you go into hypersonic territory you will see the cone shaped air column become more and more acute, so it goes from being a relatively flat cone of displaced air to being a much sharper/elongated cone which is what I think is happening here. Obviously it makes sense narratively if EC is at least hypersonic, he's not going to be much slower than the likes of Sonic or DSK or any other demon with supersonic feats and the way the shockwaves form around him as he emerges to block the beam gives me that hypersonic elongated shockwave vibe.

I'm not saying he should outright be mach 5 or higher, I was suggesting that he's much faster than transonic and that we shouldn't calc his KE using mach 1, which would make Genos's beam definitively subsonic by proxy (it being considerably slower). If we really need to lowball it, we could say the spiral incineration beam is mach 1 and go from there. If we can't scale the beam to any irl object, I would still prefer to find PM's speed and compare EC's travel speed to that. PM was able to cover a good distance with Garou in tow while the others were still floating in the air so you could probably get hypersonic results comparing his travel speed to that.

Since you suggested Hypersonic, I'mma use the baseline Hypersonic for the **** of it.

Using Uskla's normal EC weight: 1.4062022196683316988 Megatons or Low 7-B

Using Uskla's EC weight x 14 as you suggested earlier: 19.686831075349665809 Megatons or 7-B

Not bad, but still iffy on this method overall

Back