• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
If you knew what black face actually was you wouldn't be saying that. A character in fiction can have dark skin.
and who the **** knows what is blackface? YOU?

also, OBVIOUSLY you can have black characters in animes, but darkshine's stereotype and his story is CLEARLY blackfacing, we just dont talk about it
lol, someone who turns black bc of training LOL

Reactions: Sus

also, OBVIOUSLY you can have black characters in animes, but darkshine's stereotype and his story is CLEARLY blackfacing, we just dont talk about it
I didn't ignore it, I just straight up rolled a nat 1 on intelligence.

Not what blackface is, do some more research kid.

The S-class has
An assassin
A rapist
A narcissist who humiliates her comrades
A guy who does blackface
An adult who still thinks he's a teenager
And one that doesn't even do his job

What professionals

What a lame discussion huh

OPM was never into being politically correct, few examples above, if you can't tank it, then leave it, but please let's avoid this before someone says something they shouldn't (and that usually happens)

sorry bro but u prob white and ain't going to listen you trying to explain me what blackface is.
also, i just dont care about DS neither

Reactions: Sus
The S-class has
An assassin
Flashy
Prisoner
A narcissist who humiliates her comrades
Tatsumaki of course
A guy who does blackface
Blackluster 🗿
An adult who still thinks he's a teenager
Idk who this is. Child emperor is indeed a child, metal bat is technically a teenager. Do you mean king?
And one that doesn't even do his job
Metal knight is just playing defense, that’s all tbh.
What professionals
Watchdog man

it IS blackface.
Darkshine stereotype is literally the definition of BLACKFACING.
even worse or at the same level of jynx case, but as i said, opm community just dont care about it
And what exactly is the definition to you? Because working out and tanning with the end result of him having darker skin isn’t what Black face is.

On this note, though, **** PPP. He's a sex offender who strong-arms people into his harem.

Guy makes Ezra Miller look like a saint.
Do you people realize that darkshine is a white guy who makes his entire hero name and personality around having dark skin
I can definitely see the gorilla thing (especially given the amount of Japanese media that does this shit). But I really strongly disagree with this other stuff.

It's not based simply on skin colour, it's based on on giving off a dull, reflective shine. That's why some translations even call him Blackluster, as lustrous means shining, and is synonymous with bright, brilliant, radiant and luminous. So, the portrayal is much closer to a nice and shiny sports car than anything racially motivated.

As for his personality being based around it, like to an extent yes, but it's more a point of pride for him (something that he accomplished through insane levels of training and willpower). It's just a personality trait, not his overall personality. This is like saying that looking at himself in the mirror is Sweet Mask's entire personality.

That's not to say it's not racist/prejudiced (I personally don't have any real opinion there). I just disagree with a lot of the logic you used to come to that conclusion.

Last edited:
And what exactly is the definition to you? Because working out and tanning with the end result of him having darker skin isn’t what Black face is.
Please stop you clearly don't know what a blackface is and this discussion is clearly not ending well

Lets forget about it

Please stop you clearly don't know what a blackface is and this discussion is clearly not ending well

Lets forget about it
Black face is meant to depict black people in a demeaning way. Darkshine doesn't do that. A character tanning and getting darker because of it isn't racist.

Ahh, I see you're referring to the 1000% racist name Darkshine has in the anime.
Tbf, that's not an anime specific name. That was used in the less reliable translations of the manga as well, and the more popular anime subs went with it for some reason. In other anime subs they use Darkshine.

Anyways this is a discussion that won't lead to anything remotely productive, if anything it'll just lead to negative outcomes.

Personally I've always kinda felt that there is/was at least some degree of racist stereotyping in OPM, namely towards Darkshine, though I think that some claims people make are definitely reaches, but overall I think it'd be ignorant to not even acknowledge it existing. Recognize what's actually shown and implied, without going overboard about it. As for the tanning thing...well that would lead to a WHOLE other topic about bodybuilders, and I'm really not gonna bother getting involved in that, not to mention it's absolutely off-topic.

Anyways, political discussions on vs battle related forums are cringy ngl. Would hope it ends soon.

also, he just became black because of training hard, this can be interpreted as an insult to many black people who gotta work harder in life, ik this is very specif but this is japan's reality.

also, his body is 100% a stereotype, you can't even hide the black face in this situation...

Back