• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The immeasurable speed displayed against Solaris was an outlier. This one does not appear to be one. Or at least most people seem to accept it.

Lina Shields said:
Considering that this battle is taking place in outer space, I think that the size issue is due to Sonic and Blaze being shown closer to the camera while the stars are shown to be further away.
This is because there are stars that shown to be smaller than the others, meaning that they could be further away.

Anyways, I am okay with the upgrade.

By the way, all these guys:

Super Shadow, Super and Hyper Knuckles, Super Tails, Burning Blaze, Super and Hyper Sonic, Devil Doom, Final Hazard, Metal Madness, Mecha Sonic, Dark Gaia and Solaris
are getting their speed rating changed to Massively FTL+ and a calculation linked to it, correct?
No, the issue is that there is a star in front of Blaze that is smaller than her. Plus, this isn't in space this is in a wormhole-dimension-thing.

The stars look like they were drawn at an awkward angle, which is why the stars look smaller compared to Blaze. It's probably a way to show us that some stars are closer in distance compared to others, which is why we see smaller stars as well as bigger stars in the image.

Well, most of the calculation group accepted this, if I remember correctly, so I am uncertain what to do. If the feat is unreliable, we need to scale the characters from some other event however.

Lina Shields said:
The stars look like they were drawn at an awkward angle, which is why the stars look smaller compared to Blaze. It's probably a way to show us that some stars are closer in distance compared to others, which is why we see smaller stars as well as bigger stars in the image.
If they wanted to show us closer stars they would've just made them bigger in the background. I'm saying that, in this scene, there are stars that Blaze is standing behind and still looks bigger than, which would mean that the stars are smaller than Blaze's body.

A 1 meter tall person cannot stand behind a tower and look bigger than the tower no matter what perspective you take the picture from.

So, what do you suggest that we should do with the Sonic speed rankings, given that this may have messed them up?

In any case, I would like to see more community input about this, before we do anything drastic.

I don't believe the speed value would be an outlier, but the size and positioning of the stars certainly seems bizarre.

Same as Promestein, really.

Them flying past stars should normally be a MFTL (generally MFTL+ obviously) feat. But reading through the reasons that TMR and the others were talking here earlier, it does seem pretty odd of them being that...small?

I have to agree with Xcano about it being... off

From what I can tell from TMR and Xcano's statements, whatever it is, it is definitely not a star and the calc should not be used under the assumption that they're stars.

But that would leave us with a dilemma: What should we scale from instead?

Well, in that case, somebody would have to revert the recent speed changes to the Sonic pages, and then adjust the FTL+ and MFTL ratings, discussed in the original post of this thread, to "At least FTL+" instead.

However, I would prefer to get more input from the community first.

Perhaps their speed can be changed to:

Speed: At least FTL+, likely higher

The reason for this being that Sonic was travelling through what looks to be space, with the orbs being either stars or something else. Now I am wondering if a MFTL rating is justified at the moment.

If there was a separate calc that places their speed at FTL+, does anyone know if the value sits in the lower, or higher end of that rating? Perhaps the "possibly MFTL" rating can be decided based on that.

Well, what I wonder is what feat that the original FTL+ ratings were based on?

His original FTL+ ratings were based on him escaping a black hole, as well as being faster than light, although it could be that these are likely only FTL feats for Sonic.

Does Sonic actually escape a black hole by any chance, or was it implied?

Huh, it seems he wasn't able to outrun it and the black hole... doesn't at all act like one outside of the game mechanics....

Lina Shields said:
His original FTL+ ratings were based on him escaping a black hole, as well as being faster than light, although it could be that these are likely only FTL feats for Sonic.
Does Sonic actually escape a black hole by any chance, or was it implied?

no the wips ( or how ever you spell there names) saved him after geting sucked in too the black hole

He gets very very close to the black hole, but he never passes the event horizon. This would be relativistic speed.

Hmm. It seems like we may have to downgrade to Sonic characters instead then.

However, are you absolutely certain that the current feat is illegitimate?

Was the intention of the story that Sonic ran past stars, whereas the graphics simply failed to convey this in an accurate manner?

Sonic Colors was a fairly well graphically done game. Not to mention this happened in a cutscene. Not to mention, he was running on Eggman's amusement park, which is definitely nowhere near even star sized in length

Well, then I suppose that we cannot use this feat.

Is anybody willing to revert the changes to the Sonic (game) pages?

Also, should we adjust them to relativistic speed instead, as LordXcano suggests?

Wait. I thought that Sega explicitly stated that Sonic was faster than light, and he still has that feat of catching that laser wisp.

This is Sonic's Base speed and reasoning's from his page.

FTL (Is considered "faster than light" in an official source, and is considered the fastest video game character of all time. Sonic also runs fast enough to capture a Cyan Laser Wisp, which is generally accepted as an actual laser, casually, even commenting on how it was "almost as fast as him". While using Light Speed Attack, Sonic is capable of directing his attacks towards his enemies at Lightspeed, easily. Although he couldn't completely outrun a Black Hole, he did do so for a large period of time. This was also excerpted from "The History of Sonic the Hedgehog".)

Sorry for the long thing, y'all. This is literally what;s on his page.

Fastest video game character of all time should definitely be taken out, since at a low end, people like Mario (SMG), Sol Badguy, X, Samus, and Kirby exist, and on a high end, Mario (Paper) Arceus, ZeedMilleniummon, Chara, YHVH, and U-DO exist.

@CrossverseCrisis Well, perhaps it would be most appropriate to scale the super forms as "Unknow. Likely at least FTL+ (Should be far swifter than in base)" then?

@The real cal howard Probably, yes, although he is far more focused on running speed in the games themselves.

Does anybody else think that this seems like a good idea?

Keep in mind that once we get things settled here, i would not mind going through the pages and adjusting their Super Forms to what Ant just said.

That's the only thing that needs to be changed, yes? May i asked what do we do with say, Sonic's Hyper form, for instance? Put them Unknown or what? @All

I think that his Hyper form has another MFTL+ calculation.

And, yes, I think that the super form statistics are the only ones that need to be changed.

Just needed to be sure. However i'd like to know if the people here are fine with what you suggested for recently above.

Also, i do think Cal has a point about Sonic's base speed reasoning's. One of them being "fastest video game character" when we have like many more of them much faster than him at base (Sora, Mario via his SMG stats, Kirby, Sol Badguy, Chara, etc.). We'll also need to adjust that for Sonic's base speed as well once this is all done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back