• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did find them and used them. SEGA is one of those companies that actually do interact with the community a lot.

It's very clear that the twitter cast are more so separate entities than the main games. I think a nice compromise would be to make Shadow more of a mature batman in the main games, and make him emo sasuke on his twitter.

I always saw Shadow's character being closer to Sasuke personality wise with a sprinkle of Wolverine in the games (post-SA2). People would usually think of Vegeta, but eh, aside from being a rival to the main character and having titles like "Ultimate Lifeform/Prince of All Saiyans", which are pretty common in anything anime-esque, they don't have much in common.

"Sonic is video game series that is targeted towards children."

Let me stop you right there and tell you what you said is bullshit: Sonic isn't really a children's game. Not at all and it never has been. The series started off as a scientist enslaving animals as robots and you need to stop him before he takes over the world. The story theme was mostly about animal cruelty. But if I were to explain why Sonic is mature and suppose to be mature in a way it makes sense, well here it goes.

Sonic is suppose to be the "Anit-Mario". Mario is a game series targeted towards children. Sonic is suppose to target towards teens and young adults for its mature dialogue, story, characters, etc. Here is a list of things in the Sonic series that makes it a mature series and not some kid series:

Animal cruelty

Space Colony Ark

Literal death (Both robots and humans)

Japanese Dialogue in Sonic games + Shadow the Hedgehog (Game)

His World

The villains being literal Gods that look straight out of DMC

And Rouge the Bat

And don't bring up the Post 2010 games either. Those games are shit in storytelling and themes and it shows too in the writing. Plus I blame Nintendo fans for making the Sonic games what they are now due to their constant bickering and complaining about the series of it's dark and grittery tone and atmosphere in earlier games. Which Sonic Team took to heart and catered to them as much as possible.

But to make a long story short, Sonic was meant to edgy/semi-mature and SEGA even stated that somewhere. Even in the Japanese manual & (like Void said) dialogue, words like "Damn", "bastard", "prick" and "hell" aren't rare at all. They use them quite frequently. And no, just because there isn't a shit ton of blood and gore doesn't mean it's for kids.

Sonic 06's writing is better though and had better moments too. I rather play that game over Sonic Generations or Colors any day of the week.

Sonic and animal cruelty is more prominent as Eggman's main thing to do is to turn animals into robots under their own free will and Sonic has to stop him and save his animal friends.

MYHERO said:
@Godhand1999
No...

Imitation is flattery : )

It's because the details in these qualites that are different is what makes these comparsions faulty to begin with. Shadow and Mewtwo do not have any real common similarities between the two of them. Even the way they were made, how they were born, what purpose they serve, characteristics, personality, and their role in the story are ALL different. You can't make a comparsion with two different characters.

No what makes comparisons like these faulty is if the person is claiming that they are exactly the same as each other. If it's just somebody that is just casually saying they are similar because they share certain traits, that doesn't make them faulty. They are similar, but not the same. Just because there are alterations doesn't make the initial baseline similarities untrue.

These are still vauge similarities nonetheless. It shouldn't count at all, Cal is saying how, "Shadow's backstory is literally just Mewtwo's" which is objectively incorrect and I had to break down why those reasons were faulty.

I'm pretty sure Cal, didn't mean that a hundred percent.
Lmao

That's what Cal was doing or what it looked like he was doing. He literally said "Shadow is basically Mewtwo" and then listed out all these different kinds of reasons of how they are the same. Okay, sure but these "similarities" are incredibly vauge. I'm not even sure if you can even call them similar due to the fact that these characters are so distnict and different from one another.

I mean, if anyone didn't know anything about Shadow or Mewtwo they might've assumed what he was saying was true. That's why I wanted to break down why it isn't lol. Also, from Cal's latest comment he literally meant what he said LOL. So, he's objectively incorrect and I doubt he can challenge me on anything.

Yeah, because Japan is less conservative with mature topics. Hence why Pokemon in Japan says a lot more adult things and has more adult topics and why Misty is canonically sexualized over there despite being young.

Sonic Team has always marketed their games for younger people. Just because the stories has dark themes they are not suddenly unsuitable for children. That doesn't make a franchise adult, it makes them thought provoking and good. Avatar the Last airbender also has alot of mature themes but the show was still catered to children. And besides japan has a lot more tolerance when it comes to what they qualify as kid stuff. Astro Boy is a children show but what it shows will make Sonic look bby boy.

The real cal howard said:
Oh, no. I meant that to be personal. I don't like Shadow. Like, not even ironically. Shoulda stayed dead in SA2. He takes the spot from Knuckles and is the epitome of edgy. And to make matters worse he's the strongest reoccurring character so his relevance is nigh-mandatory.

...wait did I forget to use a strikethrough?
Shadow is an excellent character. Knuckles wasn't even much of a rival towards Sonic, he's literally an ally now. Metal Sonic is more of a serious rival for Sonic than Shadow or Knuckles are. Also, how is he "edgy"? Lmao. He's also not the strongest reoccurring character either since Sonic beat him multiple times and he literally stalemated with Silver in 06.

Also, "Edgy Mario" argument doesn't mean Sonic is cathered to adults, because Sonic is only edgy compared to Mario.

Hell, anybody can stretch the premise to make it edgy, people do it with Mario all the time to call him a mass murderer.

UltimateFlare said:
Also, "Edgy Mario" argument doesn't mean Sonic is cathered to adults, because Sonic is only edgy compared to Mario.
Hell, anybody can stretch the premise to make it edgy, people do it with Mario all the time to call him a mass murderer.
Stop attacking Game Theory, they're always 100% accurate just like that theory he did on Sonic's speed

UltimateFlare said:

Thank you Tumblr Chan.

So, first of all Sonic is not a "children's franchise" lmao. You wouldn't understand this because I don't think most of you understand what Sonic Team was going for orginally when they made this franchise. Sonic was created to be like a Shonen anime, he was never created for the sole purpose of being a Saturday Morning cartoon comedy like Bugs Bunny is. Just because Sonic Team markets their stuff towards "younger kids" that doesn't mean Sonic is some lighthearted cartoon. Sonic is more similar to a Shonen, this series was never created to be extremely lighthearted it can get dark when it needs to. Shadow the Hedgehog actually appeals to "younger kids" more than any of Sonic's recent games, that's a fact. The Sonic Franchise is an action heavy battle series with a sense of going on a grand adventure. It's not some cartoon that you watch on Saturday Morning. This is not how SEGA made the franchise, nor is it how Sonic's creators intended it to be.

Therefore the "Shadow is edgy" jokes are lame. Shadow doesn't curse all throughout his dialogue nor does he fight guns blazing like Bayonetta does. He uses his own powers to take care of the problem, the guns and vechiles are pretty much optional. "Damn" and "Hell" are VERY tame, lmao. Half of you curse like saliors, Idk why you're still freaking out about Shadow saying "damn" or "hell" lmao.

UltimateFlare said:
Yes it does lol. All the reasons and evidence I gave showcase that. Mario is nothing more but a lvl 1 crook game and Sonic is a lvl 100 boss game. Sonic has all the storytelling and tone of an anime (Shonen more likely) and the action and set pieces that are showcased more often than it should be which makes it more than just a "kids game". Also Mario and Sonic have nothing in common. Idk why I even compared the two like they're one in the same. Although I did use the comparison to prove a point about target demographic so **** it...

DaBoiWhoOwnsMods said:
I always saw Shadow's character being closer to Sasuke personality wise with a sprinkle of Wolverine in the games (post-SA2). People would usually think of Vegeta, but eh, aside from being a rival to the main character and having titles like "Ultimate Lifeform/Prince of All Saiyans", which are pretty common in anything anime-esque, they don't have much in common.
I'm not sure how you think Shadow is closer to Sasuke personality wise, lol. Wolverine is also pretty impulsive and hardheaded. Sasuke....is probably the epitome of "edgy" lmao. Sasuke is VERY arragoant, always in pursuit of power, and he's heavy on getting vengeance. Sasuke I would say is the original "edgelord" if I had to classify him as such.

MYHERO said:
I don't care what you guys think at this point. Just chill out, this isn't something to get worked up about.
This is called the Sonic General Discussion Zone, lmao. BTW I am chill, who is getting worked up about anything? I am passionate about this stuff, so I wanna speak about it. That is all, lol

Being in a discussion zone is meant to be more casual. You can say anything otherwise but the way you word things and the amount of stuff you type is a clear indicator that you're a bit more heated then you like to admit.

Speaking about something so passionate about isn't "getting worked up". It's called being a "fan for a reason. And idk about you, but I think we're in a more propiate website to talk about all this.

The reason why I even said that to begin with is because I can see a clear collision of disaster if you guys keep going like this. I don't want to dig up the past, but let's not forget that little outburst you have had in one of these threads Violet.

That outburst is tame compared to mines on other forms of media. There's things I appreciate more than Sonic. Maybe get to know me more and you'll see what I mean. This is just another Sonic discussion I have like it's another Tuesday. LOL

I don't care of how tough you may think you are. Insulting people like Ultimate unironically over a blue hedgehog is not going to be tolerated by anyone here.

Back