• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Badniks Need an Upgrade

Notes/Introduction:
This is the first time I tried making a discussion about a certain character, so sorry if this discussion thread is a little bit wack, if you have any other information you want to tell me about the Badniks, please let me know. Some of this information also comes from the Egg Fleet page, which I also think should apply for the Badnik pages as well. Additionally, I think that this info could apply for a Badnik page in itself. Also, this thread will mainly be focusing on the Badniks as a whole, as some individual Badniks are shown to be more powerful than others. With that out of the way, here is my discussion about updating the Badnik pages.

Starting off small we have the "age" of the Badniks. It is stated that the Badniks who debuted in the first Sonic the Hedgehog were made shortly before the events of the game, but there is some confirmation that this applies to every Badnik from every game in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II, as that game confirmed that the Badniks that debuted in that game were "newly-developed" (with Fullboar’s description even noting that they were made with the research Eggman got from the previous episode). I think this alone confirms that the new Badniks who debut in a certain game are likely made shortly before the events of said game (for example, Zoomer was made shortly before the events of Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II).

Attack Potency/Striking Strength:
As we all know, most standard Badniks have at least Wall level AP (such as Grounders being able to bust through walls and more recently Mole Mechas being able to break through concrete slabs), but I think standard Badniks can scale much higher than that. In both the opening for the original Sonic the Hedgehog from Sonic Origins and the opening animation for Sonic Superstars, we can see that the Badniks can easily overpower the Animals, scaling them above these standard animals. In both Sonic Forces and early on in the IDW comics, we can see that Badniks can easily threaten the lives of various citizens and be capable of causing massive damage to their towns, which should scale them above these citizens as well. However, the most impressive feats that the Badniks have pulled off is being able to actually threaten the main cast on some occasions. A big example of what I mean is in Sonic Lost World, where a group of Buzz Bombers and Snail Blasters were capable of damaging Eggman’s Eggmobile, as well as being a threat to Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Orbot, and Cubot (as the five of them had to retreat due to being overwhelmed by the barrage of Badniks). The Badniks have also threatened the main cast in the IDW comics as well (mainly in larger groups but still), such as in the "Urban Warfare" arc where Sonic had to retreat from numerous Badniks before his friends came to save him. In the "Familiar Territory" story from the fifth anniversary issue, two Shellcrackers were capable of knocking down and injuring Sonic before being destroyed themselves. While the Badniks in these examples never fully defeated Sonic and his friends, it is shown that even standard Badniks can be a threat to the heroes if they are not prepared (either due to sneak attacks or being in large groups), which should at the very least scale them slightly below the main cast. Considering that in these examples that most of the Badniks shown are just the standard models, most Badniks should scale to these feats. It should also be noted that this quote from the Nintendo DS version of Sonic Colors suggests that the Badniks have gotten more powerful overtime, which could possibly make them scale even higher (this could explain why stronger Badniks such as Egg Hammers still pose a threat to Sonic and his friends even long after their debut).

As for more powerful Badniks, it really depends on the model. On the more light scaling, the Giant Chopper is capable of destroying part of a mountain, which should scale to at least Mountain level. More importantly however is the fact that there are some Badniks that have shown to be a threat to Sonic and his friends on a more consistent scale (most of those examples can be found in the Egg Fleet page). I won’t delve into too many specific examples, but those Badniks should scale much higher compared to the standard models and their feats could be noted on their pages.

Speed:

Now it is time for some speed, and oh boy this one is interesting. Most Badniks would likely have around Immobile-Superhuman speed, as they typically either do not move at all (Bloominator, Toxomister, Elephant Mecha, etc), or just move at an average or above average speed. However, some Badniks have been shown being able to keep up with Sonic (such as the Moto Bugs in Sonic Colors and a group of Caterkillers and Batbrains in the IDW comics), so I think those Badniks could range from Superhuman-Massively FTL+ depending on the situation.

Lifting Strength:

Not too much to discuss here, but there have been some interesting strength feats for the Badniks. In the opening for the original Sonic the Hedgehog from Sonic Origins, we can see that two Buzz Bombers are capable of carrying large capsules, Batbrains are also capable of carrying Caterkillers, and standard Badniks have been shown to be capable of carrying large crates. There are probably other examples, but this is another case of a stat varying depending on the Badnik.

Durability:
While most standard Badniks are typically easily destroyed fodder for Sonic and his friends, it doesn’t mean that the Badniks are completely lacking in the durability department. In Sonic Superstars, there is a large drone-like Badnik called the Tick-Tock Drone that can one shot Sonic (or another playable character) by detonating the factory. Notably, while the player does immediately die from the Tick-Tock Drone, none of the Badniks in Press Factory Zone Act 2 are seen being affected by the Tick-Tock Drone’s attack (as they are never seen being destroyed). Considering that the Badniks in Press Factory Zone are just standard models, it could be inferred that other Badniks should scale to this feat as well. Additionally, most 3D games between Sonic Heroes and Sonic Unleashed had most Badniks in certain areas being capable of tanking hits from Sonic and his friends before being destroyed, which should scale the Badniks to have even higher durability. Some other interesting standard Badnik durability feats include the metal variants of Spinner in Sonic Colors being capable of tanking Sonic’s Homing Attack multiple times without being harmed and the Crabmeats in Sonic Lost World being capable of counterattacking Sonic’s Homing Attack (though it only applies for this game) and being able to tank his Flying Kick attack (unlike most other Badniks).

As for Badniks who either take multiple hits to destroy, are near or completely indestructible, or can easily tank some attacks from the main cast before being fully destroyed, they would vastly outscale the standard Badnik models and have their durability likely scale to around the AP of the characters they can tank attacks from.

Intelligence:
While the Badnik pages say that the Badniks are at least Animalistic, I actually think they have better intelligence than just that. Starting with the biggest example of all, in the Sonic the Hedgehog 30th Anniversary Special issue from the IDW comics, we can clearly see the Badniks going out of their way to celebrate Dr. Eggman’s birthday each year during the "Dr. Eggman’s Birthday" story (even going out of their way to make special gifts based on Dr. Eggman’s interests). While you could argue that Dr. Eggman programmed his Badniks to do this, he himself has stated that he constantly told the Badniks to cut it out and yet it only encouraged them to celebrate his birthday even more (showing that the Badniks are celebrating Dr. Eggman’s birthday due to genuinely caring about him rather than being programmed to do so). Badniks have also shown being capable of feeling emotions in various other games and media, either in descriptions or in small animations, though these examples are not as major as the birthday one. One thing that is notable is the fact that the IDW comics showcase other Badniks outside of the classic era being capable of feeling emotions, which shows that the intelligence for most Badniks throughout the eras should be comparable to the classic Badniks. Despite this, the Badniks do have limits in their programming, as Dr. Eggman states in The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog that the Badniks capabilities are usually rather simple (mainly attempting to kill Sonic), so I would say that most Badniks should have High Animalistic intelligence (due to their nature and behavior usually paralleling more intelligent animals such as primates rather than basic killing machines).

Despite this, there are Badniks that have shown much more sentience and intelligence than the standard models (mainly more important members like Metal Sonic, the E-Series, and the Mirage Express), which I think should scale much higher compared to the standard models (who are High Animalistic).

Conclusion:
I hope that this thread helped shine light on the Badniks more impressive and overlooked feats, as I hope that this can help update the Badnik pages to place them in a more higher tier. If you have any questions about what tier the Badniks should be in or if you can note any other feats that I missed in this thread, please let me know in the replies.

I'll come back to the rest later but I'll comment on this part first.
So a small update here, apparently standard Badniks (such as Moto Bugs and Egg Pawns) were capable of knocking out Surge and Kitsunami, which would scale them around these two. What do you all think?
Standard Crabmeats (or maybe not crabmeats, but the version with the one claw bigger than the other) can get the jump on Sonic and heavily daze him with a one-two combo (on the Eggman Empire page) so I think regular Badniks (down)scaling to the cast by the Modern Era is definitely acceptable because of all this.

This isn't a bad post. I think first you should decide and calculate at where badniks should scale before any edits can be made.

Standard Crabmeats (or maybe not crabmeats, but the version with the one claw bigger than the other) can get the jump on Sonic and heavily daze him with a one-two combo (on the Eggman Empire page) so I think regular Badniks (down)scaling to the cast by the Modern Era is definitely acceptable because of all this.
Shellcrackers got the jump on him

I thought all standard badniks already downscaled from Sonic and friends, since Eggpawns can hurt em, and a Buzz Bomber ****** up Tails with an indirect hit. Honestly forgot they didn't.

Yeah I agree, but those are Shellcrackers, not Crabmeats. I think the IDW comics are a good source for seeing where the Badniks scale, as they usually tend to scale around below the main cast. I think most Badniks should scale around Shellcracker, but it is shown early on in the IDW comics that many standard Badniks are capable of being a threat to various citizens as well. Should characters who can destroy Badniks scale higher than them?

I thought all standard badniks already downscaled from Sonic and friends, since Eggpawns can hurt em, and a Buzz Bomber ****** up Tails with an indirect hit. Honestly forgot they didn't.
Yeah, I think the pages should be updated to reflect this, as I think the Badniks scale far higher than 9-B.

They'd need keys for each era since Sonic's tier jumps around. But yes, they definitely should be higher than 9-B. Modern era ones should be Tier 2.
Kind of similar to the Egg Pawn page? Also, what if a Badnik was not present in a certain era (like most classic Badniks), wouldn’t we just only count their appearance in later eras?

I still think classic Badniks should scale higher than 9-B (since they are capable of harming animals and being unaffected by the Tick-Tock Drone (which is capable of instantly killing the player)). Also, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is confirmed to be right after Sonic & Knuckles, so should any Badnik feats from either Episode also apply to the classic era of Badniks?

Citizens are regular human level, wall level at best
I guess that is fair, though I did note in an earlier comment that the Badniks are capable of overpowering Surge and Kitsunami (though the both of them can also destroy Badniks as well so it is more of a fair fight).

Wouldn’t destroying part of a mountain be Mountain level? It doesn’t matter too much in the end since the Giant Chopper has some crazy AP with being able to overpower many characters from the main cast.

Wouldn’t destroying part of a mountain be Mountain level? It doesn’t matter too much in the end since the Giant Chopper has some crazy AP with being able to overpower many characters from the main cast.
Why would destroying a small prat of a mountain be mountain level? That'd be like saying destroying one tenth of a building is building level.

That said, if the argument is that the Badniks can hurt important characters like Surge and Kit, why only go for Mountain level when Surge and Kit are Universe level?

Why would destroying a small prat of a mountain be mountain level? That'd be like saying destroying one tenth of a building is building level.

That said, if the argument is that the Badniks can hurt important characters like Surge and Kit, why only go for Mountain level when Surge and Kit are Universe level?
Fair point tbh, that Giant Chopper feat isn’t even the most impressive thing they did in the series (as they can easily overpower the main cast when given the chance).

Yeah, I think the Surge and Kit feat is way more impressive, since it shows that the Badniks are evenly matched when it comes with dealing with them (I said evenly matched since Surge and Kit can destroy the Badniks as well).

Fair point tbh, that Giant Chopper feat isn’t even the most impressive thing they did in the series (as they can easily overpower the main cast when given the chance).

Yeah, I think the Surge and Kit feat is way more impressive, since it shows that the Badniks are evenly matched when it comes with dealing with them (I said evenly matched since Surge and Kit can destroy the Badniks as well).
I wouldn't say they're evenly matched with Surge and Kit. Moreso can provide a problem in large numbers. I'd only say evenly matched if they could fight one-on-one's with the two of them and took considerable effort to destroy. Like Metal Sonic. They do clearly downscale though, yeah.

I wouldn't say they're evenly matched with Surge and Kit. Moreso can provide a problem in large numbers. I'd only say evenly matched if they could fight one-on-one's with the two of them and took considerable effort to destroy. Like Metal Sonic. They do clearly downscale though, yeah.
Yeah I think the Badniks directly downscaling to the main cast makes sense, as they can provide challenge to them if in large numbers or if they plan a well timed sneak attack. I think more powerful Badniks like the Egg Hammers and Giant Chopper would scale higher compared to the standard Badniks (as they are much more powerful and have an easier time with fighting the main cast than most of the standard models).

Back