• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should top-tier DBGT/Anime characters be Massively FTL?

I don't mean to bring back a dead thread, but Goku was also able to fire a Kamehameha that moved faster than his ship, so he could be MFTL+ without the whole King Kai debate.

I don't see anything wrong with bringing back this thread, especially since you're not repeating old information. Just making a new thread could cause the forum to be filled with threads on the same topic over and over.

Though, that feat in particular raises the question of whether or not the speed of Goku's blasts or his Kamehameha can be scaled to him. Frieza reacted to and blocked his Kamehameha (a 20x Kaioken-boosted one, no less); would that suggest that Goku's speed can be scaled to his Kamehameha (or at least Super Saiyan Goku, since this was 50% Frieza, who was clearly superior to base Goku)?

I mainly just figured it would be an issue because nobody seems to care about the topics in months-old threads.

Well, we see the characters dodge ki blasts all the time, so it probably should.

Also, I need to ask, why are all the best feats only in the anime?

The Everlasting said:
Also, I need to ask, why are all the best feats only in the anime?
Sheer coincidence, or perhaps Toei felt not enough was being done to establish later villains as threatening. For instance, Kid Buu was established as having destroyed hundreds of worlds (granted, "hoshi" can mean planet or star), but (especially if "hoshi" is taken as meaning planet), looking back, that is something Frieza could have pulled off, and he was fodder by the time Buu was introduced.

Can you give a reference showing us Goku firing a force blast that is swifter than his Namek ship? On the other hand, since he was within the ship, he, and likely the blast, would already be accelerated to that level of speed, so firing something when already accelerated would logically have it continue relative to that speed with a small extra boost.

Hmm. Well, Goku managed to accelerate his ship considerably to move it away from the approaching star, but I don't know if we can draw any conclusions about the blast's speed being swifter than the ship itself from that? After all, if it had truly made a MFTL+ difference, the star would have instantly disappeared out of sight. A little extra push of acceleration is not the same as matching or outdoing the speed.

In addition, somebody with a laser pointer would not automatically move at lightspeed, so the question is if Frieza was considerably swifter than Goku himself at that point, alternately it took some time to summon his energy to prepare firing it, and he could block the blast by timing Goku's movements?

Foku?

I don't think Frieza had much time to react to Goku's 20x Kaioken Kamehameha. He was already shocked that Goku had not drowned after being dunked in water for several minutes, and was surprised again when Goku used the Kaioken to boost himself to a level of power enough to knock him around at 50% power, which he did immediately after using the Kaioken, and immediately after knocking Frieza into the sky, he unleashed a Kamehameha. Frieza didn't have much time to react after he recovered from being launched.

The scene itself explains it better than I can.

Typo.

All right, but as I mentioned earlier, I don't think that we can really draw any particular rational conclusions regarding the speed of Goku's blast itself.

Really? We've established that Goku's ship traveled at FTL speeds, yes? Well, despite being that fast, it got caught in the gravity of that star. Goku's Kamehameha propelled it away from the star. Wouldn't it take a blast of greater kinetic force than the ship's propellers to move it away from the star's gravity? Additionally, if the blast were not at least the speed of Goku's ship, the stream of energy would cut off prematurely as his ship was flying away, wouldn't it?

That is not the way that momentum and extra thrust works for spaceships as far as I know. As I said above, anything accelerated by the ship's movement would automatically travel at the same speed and direction, Goku would only have to be able to give said movement an extra push to escape the gravity of the star, and if he had truly accelerated the ship an extra MFTL+ speed, the star would have instantly disappeared from sight.

Well, as this thread falls into obscurity, and the power of the GT characters becomes irrelevant thanks to Super boosting Beerus and canon Goku to Galaxy level at the very least, I'd like to say one last thing.

Yes, a ship that moves in a straight line should be easier to follow than a pair of superhuman fighters moving all over the place, if they are in a similar speed range. This rules out Goku and Frieza being exactly as fast as Goku's ship, but does not by any means rule them out as being FTL at all. For example, a small dog chasing a frisbee is much easier to follow than a car speeding down the road at 200mph or a bullet fired from a gun. That calc on the Naruto Forums up there rated the ship as 258c in an absolute lowball. Assuming this ship was moving in a smooth trajectory (it may not have been; is Namek really a straight line away from where Goku departed?), King Kai can track an object moving in a smooth trajectory at a speed of at least 258c. Even if he has much more difficulty tracking an object moving erratically, is it really a stretch to say he could still track it if it were moving at FTL speeds, if perhaps only marginally FTL?

So this would put the anime Frieza Saga characters as "FTL+, possibly Massively FTL"? Sounds good to me.

Back