• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Servants Invulnerability downgrade

Wait, so servants don't go into spirit form in combat?

Because I remember a versus thread where an Archer (specifically Emiya) running away in spirit form being the main wincon.
They do, or at least usually do. I've heard it described as basically being used to **** off and heal before actually dying, and that makes sense given the translation.

Why would it be limited. Servants are naturally spirits, they just take form. Against another Servant it's useless to take Spirit Form because they both have spiritual senses and can interact with the immaterial via mana (explained in the mats, which are also linked in the thing I gave).

Because it isn't passive, it needs to be activated at will. Servant's might be Spirit's but that doesn't necessarily make them intangible by default, they're seen as solid much how like Shinigami in Bleach are. It's evidently clear that Servant's aren't intangible unless they use their Spirit / Ethereal forms.

I've also seen cases like this that use "Selective Intangibility."

I... beg your pardon? You didn't say anything rude, I'm just confused.

I was stating what Smashor's conclusion was, not what the current treatment is or what I believe it to be.
You said earlier how you didn’t understand how they came to the conclusion that servants can be hurt by something on their level. “I still don't understand how you come to the conclusion that they can be hurt by anything on their level?”

I guess it would just be listed as Selective Intangibility. That's the more common use of it anyway afaik.

logia case is because their intang are elemental, but they still have forms, such as fire, snow etc, but Souls lacks physical forms, logias cannot have incorporeality, as incorporeality is lacking a physical body, while things like fire and snow are physical
I misread what was being said, ig this can be ignored

It's not really selective. It just needs to be activated. Selective intangibility is for when you're only intangible to certain things (Like how Star Platinum can phase through someone's body and grab their heart)

Yeah, that's clearly referring to Servant's physical superiority over normal humans, not some kind of special invulnerability.

iirc, i vaguely remember a servant being shot and the bullet just pass through him and hits the master. I think it was fate/zero?

Though, i suppose an argument can be made that its inconsistently portrayed Separate the canons. don't kill me its a joke.

Does that not happen in the anime? Because I don't remember that. Only two masters that died from bullets were far away from their servants.

Anyway i agree on the removal of invulnerability and changing it to selective intangtibility

But said the intangtibility would'nt be combat applicable, no?

Anyway i agree on the removal of invulnerability and changing it to selective intangtibility

But said the intangtibility would'nt be combat applicable, no?
Why wouldnt it be? They use it to make stuff pass through them, it doesnt work with servants cause they have NPI.

I may not be a Nasuverse expert, but I and many other users have always felt their hax has been prone to NLF. Being immune to all modern weapons or being immune to all thrown attacks always seemed far too vague and full of loopholes. So I'm willing to agree with the OP unless someone who knows more can get a more specific scan that says otherwise.

Why wouldnt it be? They use it to make stuff pass through them, it doesnt work with servants cause they have NPI.
Not really. They've never shown that and we can't really assume they can.

IIRC Astolfo only putting part of a Servant into Spirit Form is considered super unusual.

Servants don't have NPI
Mara
that is all that needs to be said really

also, the unusual part with Astolfo is him forcing other servants into spirit form with the "falling" thing.

Last edited:
So, can this be applied now? Majority seems agree with the removal of invulnerability and changing it to selective intangtibility

HF day 16
"Right, next question. Are Servants still spirits even if they take physical form? So you can't hurt them with normal weapons?"

"…Let's see. A normal Servant will be able to nullify them, but those consumed by Sakura are another matter.
Having received bodies from Sakura, they cannot return to spiritual form.
Strong magical weapons should be able to penetrate through their shadows."
Apocrypha Volume 2
Rocks tore through their skin and even damaged part of Ruler's armor. An attack without prana
accompanying it could never harm a Servant. But prana had been loaded to the point of bursting
into the sword he swung, and it had even contaminated the broken pieces of stone.

It was the same as a Servant throwing dirks with prana loaded into them… Though, it was the
first time Ruler had witness of the phenomenon of prana clinging even to fragments smashed
apart with a sword.
FGO Angra Mainyu Interlude
2021-09-03_1.png

2021-09-03_2.png

"Nullify" could just mean they're too strong to be affected by them.

The second thing could also easily mean that a Servant is too strong to be affected by the attack, espesially since some mundane rocks damaged a Servant's armor.

OK. That could just mean he's strong enough to survive a normal rocket launcher. All we have for Mainyu's power is "Stronger than normal humans" and "Weaker than Bazett", that's a pretty big gap. Bazett's way higher than average rocket launchers on this website. Roman specified a rocket launcher, not something like a gun or a sword, further implying it's raw power and not just magic.

Invulnerability is an extremely powerful ability, and you need a lot of definitive evidence to prove something like it. A few vague things here and there isn't enough.

An attack without prana accompanying it could never harm a Servant. But prana had been loaded to the point of bursting
into the sword he swung
, and it had even contaminated the broken pieces of stone..

Those scans I posted it says its needs Magical Energy. The only exception are the servant that were consume by Sakura.

Back