• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Samurai 8 General Discussion Thread 3: Kishimoto hates moons

I'd suggest we not put too much stock in news from FB, irrespective of the possible "legitimacy" of the source, let's stick to what we know are facts.

S8 isn't selling gr8 atm but that isn't indicative of it's quality nor does it mean that it's sales will not rise in time. Kishimoto undoubtedly has plenty of good faith from Jump, he won't be cancelled at the drop of a hat, so the series still can turn up it sales in time.

I'm enjoying the series and personally hope it sticks around.

Robot x Laser Beam debuted its volume 1 at rank 6. It was written by the same author who made Kuroko no Basketball which was pretty successful and big. Still, it was cancelled.

If only Volume 1 was released for S8 I'd say there's room to breathe, but both 1 and 2 did that poor.

1997KD said:
You all hooked to it just because it delivers some feats But this thing is boring as fck..from the characters to the story..the main character doesn't even have a goal..the relation ship btn him and the female lead role is so plastic ..like honestly speaking this manga has not delivered anything that we haven't seen to keep us hooked.
Thats a great opinion but has nothing to do with what you are saying yet again. I stuck with it because I wanted to see a new story from Kishi, regardless of feats or not. It had 0 good feats in the first 7 chapters and yet I was still reading it.

But let me answer some of those question:

The main character had a goal from the very start, to become a great Samurai like Fudo Myoo, then after his Dad died, to avenge him. He has the save the universe from imminent destruction, goal as well. Which requres him to find the other 7 keys. He also has the "protect friends" goal but not many people think that is much of a goal.

The relationship between him and Ann is great imo. Ann's behaviour around him is very intresting.

It uses seom cliches but so does BC and BC is doing great. Using cliches is not a bad thing it depends onhow you execute them, but that is also opinion based.

IMadeThisOn8-1-2017 said:
Robot x Laser Beam debuted its volume 1 at rank 6. It was written by the same author who made Kuroko no Basketball which was pretty successful and big. Still, it was cancelled.
If only Volume 1 was released for S8 I'd say there's room to breathe, but both 1 and 2 did that poor.
Actually wouldnt realeasing 2 volumes at once mean lower sales for each? If normally people would only buy 1 volume for example. and there are 2 out, wont people buy either one or the other?

IMadeThisOn8-1-2017 said:
I dont think that's a = comparision

while Kuroko no basket was big it's nowhere near the sales nor had the impact Naruto had, your comparing a 30 million life cycle manga with one of the pillars of shonen Jump.

Actually wouldnt realeasing 2 volumes at once mean lower sales for each? If normally people would only buy 1 volume for example. and there are 2 out, wont people buy either one or the other?

Usually a lot of deals in stores. Discounted bundle or buy 1 get 1 free in manga stores.

As for the comparison to RxLB, its mainly because both manga are written by successful previous Jump authors as a the next series under them. RxLB did very well in its debut and was cancelled as sales slowly dropped. I think comparing to Eden's Zero js better given Fairy Tail's success is closer and of a similar setting ti Samurai 8.

I did not know about that. But tbf when on amazon for example, they are still sold separately.

Ah I see your point. And Yeah ED is likely a better comparison. I think TFO's point about using Naruto's success earlier would make sense as well and on top of that would be an even better comparison to ED.

Question; why were the volumes released simultaneously? Is this standard practice or something relatively unusual?

Digital sales arent taken into account for Oricon, I'm not sure if Amazon counts as digital or not to be honest. Though on Amazon.jp you can see the rankings for manga sold that week and well... S8 is being reviewed bad hard at 2/5 stars already and ranking past 150.

The best hope is seeing if Volume 3 picks up. But when comparing to Eden's Zero, EZ never matched its debut, it's plateaued under it.

I'd imagine it was a risk, assuming they published the same amount of copies per volume the only real way for them to have covered their costs would for the series to have been an instant massive hit.

I don't believe that was a wise business move on their end, they overcommitted instead of being cautious.

I think the Obvious answer to all this is that readers are not connecting with S8 well the majority of readers are not.

meaning if the story can change enough for more readers to be interested it will improve sales-wise.

I hope so, its still doing ok for a new manga, just not for a Kishi level manga. But like I said I believe he can pick it up he should know what readers like (though a lot of the time what they like is pretty trash imo).

@Val that's still a massive risk to take though.

Doing what they did it's like they expected the series to be met with instant popularity, I'm no business student but even I recognise that is a bad move, never fully commit to any venture unless you're sure it is profitable.

It would have been better to release the first volume, at worst it underperforms (though I'm told it's reception atm isn't unusual for a new manga) and at best it exceeds expectations. No matter how it does u then use the response to that to determine how much they're going to print in the ffg volumes, keeping losses to a minimum.

As far as I can tell S8's major issue isn't that it debuted low but that Jump overcommitted.

I think it was smarter to sell both together. There was massive promotion for Samurai 8, it was even being promoted in other magazines that it doesnt run in.

It's basically one large promotion for 2 sales worth, it could double the regular debut or if it broke out then its massive profits.

It fell hard, so they took a big hit which I'm sure they didn't expect.

@IMade I disagree, specifically because the "massive promotion" is a symptom of the issue ie; overcommitting.

They basically put themselves in this position by overspending b4 the series even established itself, it also doesn't help that for stuff like this (comics, manga and fiction in general) word of mouth largely acts as better promotion than pasting "Read this series!" everywhere

Yeah I agree with David here, and basically as TFO and Shadow said, they should have let it grow organically and not spend so much in promotion and doing a double volume launch, they spent a lot while relying on a manga that ended years ago to boost sales. Honestly I am not even close to a buisness student but it sounds quite optimistic to say the least.

Valrhavn said:
Furthermore we can safely say that Kishimoto forged Shonen Jump. He got a huge part in its story, since he created the 3rd best manga ever created. Talking about the videogames, movies, merchandise, live shows, novels and much much more.
Boruto and Naruto are still the best ranked anime in Japan. And you know something about "Naruto and Boruto The Live 2019"?

Kishimoto is too precious for Shonen Jump.

True dat. With Naruto Kishimoto reached 240 million volumes sold and it's one of the biggest manga franchise in the world.

People are doing a big mistake here regarding S8 under performance, you guys are just seeing the figures to assume buy that's not how a business works. Ok here's the analysis the massive advertisement, interviews, pamplets etc used for this series should have costed above 100 million yen let's say around 125 million yen, not including it's regular expenses on manga creation.Since it's sales ain't that good let's say both volumes together sold around 30k so amy realised from this would be around 15 million yen so even if it's not that high so do you think the company will axe it right away after another few volumes well the answer is a Big No if they just simply axe it they will suffer a massive loss but continuing its sales they can at least make up their advertisement expenses and that's considering if it's doing as it's now but IMO it will improve so yes even if it's going to get axed(which won't) jump will still give another 100+ chapters for Samurai 8. Furthermore going by what kishimoto predicted that he was expecting the current situation from beginning then I'm sure what he said afterwards will also be true and this will become a big sucesss.

Rocker1189 said:
well finally decided to calc this in the way I wanted to for a while: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Rocker1189/moon_rekt

It wont scale to anyone yet but it is possible it would scale to the guy that Amped Hachi is fighting. Which means it likely scales to people like real body Ata and prime Daruma.
Well this is a good one btw i was asking if destroying the muun into fine dust will increase its AP

Rocker1189 said:
Nah dusting a moon without taking GBE into account is just High 6-A. GBE is basically everything in these calcs.
So since its said that Samurai attacks work on molecular/sub atomic levels then him destroying the muun to molecular/sub atomic levels will that increase its AP?.dont get angry at me im just very new to all these

Samurai attacks don't automatically destroy things on a sub-atomic level.

Idk about that its a strange situation which I think requires more information. Their sword might negate durability though, by attacking on a subatomic level but it does not mean that every attack is subatomic level like Damagae said.

No not yet, what is required is for the new guy that Hachimaru is fighting to be able to keep up with him since what he did was when he was being amped by Ann like right now. If they can block his attacks then yeah real body Ata and prime Daruma scale due to being likely stronger than him. Unless he is revealed as stronger

Well the atmos fangs was at that scale doesn't mean any normal attacks from hachi would be on that scale so that the new guy would be scaled his normal attacks even with Ann prayer amp should be around multi city blocks level at best

Ann's prayer amped him to the level of being able to destroy a moon, the energy used for that would scale to his AP.

Back