• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RWBY Vol 9 General Discussion Thread: Multiverse Of Therapy

,Alright so here's what I got for the lightspeed feats. Again, these are not calcs, but simply gathering evidence together.

Here we have Penny vs. Pyrrha. The part where Penny starts firing her beams and Pyrrha starts dodging them/moving in tandem with them are at 1:26 to 1:35.

Here we have Winter vs Ironwood. Winter intercepts Ironwood's beam two times, once at 00:17, and once at 02:18.

Now, as we all know by now, the standards for what makes a beam lightspeed here has changed. It is certainly true that Penny and Ironwood's beams don't act like normal lasers. After all, Penny's beams seem to have force behind them and Ironwood's explode. That does not automatically disqualify them as non-lightspeed lasers.

For Penny's beams having force, it has been discovered that while light does not carry mass, it does have momentum.

As seen here with this article. However, I hear some of you claim that the object they used to prove it was an extremely small gold plate, and that the distance it traveled by light was near minuscule. That is true.

However, an interview with Professor Lombardi of Cambridge college states thus:

Kerstin - The theory tell us that light does have a little bit of a push but I certainly cannot feel it when I switch on my torch. What's the point of all the theory then?

Anna - While the push of light is so tiny that you don't feel it in everyday life, we can observe it at the nanoscale in the world of the infinitely small. Arthur Ashkin, a scientist working at the Bell Labs in the seventies demonstrated that nanometer and micron sized particles can be accelerated, trapped and manipulated by radiation pressure of a highly focused laser beam.

Nowadays, scientists use light quite literally like optical tweezers to manipulate objects from cells to single atoms

Kirsten - Does that mean that we just need a superpower torch to move the big stuff?

Anna - If as a light source we don't limit ourselves to a simple torch, but we consider the Sun, then the radiation pressure exerted is strong enough to push spacecrafts and even asteroids from their path.

With this statement, we can see that sufficient radiation pressure in space can push large and heavy objects such spacecrafts and even asteroids. Before this, Professor Lombardi states:

Anna - The higher the frequency of the light, the larger its momentum and, therefore, a stronger force it can exert. This means that blue light will push you stronger than red light.

Thus, the argument can be made that Penny's beams are simply firing off the lasers at a very intense frequency that allows them to "push" objects away.

For Ironwood's big ass gun, the evidence for it being a beam is even stronger. First, it was deflected by Winter's ice wall at 2:18.

As we have seen in this clip with Amber commanding cloud to ground lighitng and the very winds itself, maidens use natural materials for their attacks. Thus, it would make sense to assume Winter's ice shield was pure, natural ice.

In this science forum, it was explained by an advisor that solid ice is actually less reflective then pure water. Thus, the fact that Ironwood's laser bounced right back at him with almost pinpoint accuracy is further evidence that what was fired was a powerful laser.

Another point in Ironwood's favor, and one that will appease those who are still hung up about Penny's lasers producing force, is the fact that Ironwood's gun never produces any kickback whenever he fires it.

Here is the first time that Ironwood fires his gun, at the 10:24 mark. As we can see, Ironwood's arms do not buckle or get pushed back from the firing off such a large and powerful weapon. This trend continues on in his fight against Winter. At 1:19 and 2:17, we see him visible shot off the beams with absolutely no recoil.

It should be stated that, in this clip above, at 23:46, Kdin Jenzen, someone who has worked on the main show and knows the writers very well, states that the laser was meant to kill a maiden Penny. Thus, it would be reasonable to assume that this cannon that Ironwood uses would be perhaps one of the most powerful weapons Atlas has ever produced and that, if it were firing off mass, it would give off massive recoil. However, as stated above, this is not the case.

While some may lay claim that, since Ironwood's lasers explode on contact, they cannot be true lasers.

However, this forum post on physicsforums.com, which has its community members verfied for their expertise, states that lasers can cause explosions if the area where they are fired are overheated.

And, as we can see her with a modern day Navy weapon, lasers can caust things to explode dramatically.

With all these points made, it is clear to see that lightspeed weapons do exist in RWBY. While they are certianly not shown as tradional laser weapons, there is enough supporting evidence to prove that they still hold the properties of light speed lasers.

Theres also the fight between Cinder and Penny on amity tower where cinder dodged her lasers a few times

Got it. I heard from DJ on the Death Battle research team that those were one frame lasers only, thus couldn't apply. Does everything else look good though?
Also its agreed that force no longer automatically disqualifies lightspeed

plus dont forget to bring up that her lasers generate heat and cut through materal rather than fragmenting it, like the Bullhead from the beacon arc and the Megoliath from the atlas arc

Also its agreed that force no longer automatically disqualifies lightspeed

plus dont forget to bring up that her lasers generate heat and cut through materal rather than fragmenting it, like the Bullhead from the beacon arc and the Megoliath from the atlas arc
I wanted to bring up force anyway just to be double certain.

Rewatched the first few episodes of Vol 7, and I actually enjoyed them a fair bit.

Am I the only one who thinks Vol 7 is nearly on par with Vol 3's quality?

It certainly counters some of the arguments against it, but it doesn't really seem to go in a lot of detail on why it should be LS.
The beams only ever travel in straight lines, generate heat and cut material rather than fragmenting it, reflect off of reflective material, are made of Light Dust (with Dust in RWBY being the crystalized form of raw natural elements), and aside from laser weaponry theyre also used in things such as cameras and holograms, as well as technology such as the Invisibility Cloak, a fabric interwoven with Light Dust that is able to match the surrounding light spectrum to make the wearer invisible

The beams only ever travel in straight lines, generate heat and cut material rather than fragmenting it, reflect off of reflective material, are made of Light Dust (with Dust in RWBY being the crystalized form of raw natural elements), and aside from laser weaponry theyre also used in things such as cameras and holograms, as well as technology such as the Invisibility Cloak, a fabric interwoven with Light Dust that is able to match the surrounding light spectrum to make the wearer invisible
I was talking about how the original draft Cire made didn't go into detail about why it's LS, just mostly defending against counter arguments.

Though, I will say that where is no such thing as light dust in RWBY. Only Hard Light Dust.

Shouldn't all maidens have healing as when they active their maiden powers they replenish their stamina and Aura as shown by winter and Raven

Shouldn't all maidens have healing as when they active their maiden powers they replenish their stamina and Aura as shown by winter and Raven
I think that’s only when they first receive the powers, as Winter only got replenished when she became the Maiden. As for Raven I don’t know when you’re talking about cause her Aura didn’t recover during their fight.

I think that’s only when they first receive the powers, as Winter only got replenished when she became the Maiden. As for Raven I don’t know when you’re talking about cause her Aura didn’t recover during their fight.
Her Aura broke after falling from the rocks and then after using her maiden powers she used her semblance

Her Aura broke after falling from the rocks and then after using her maiden powers she used her semblance
That was after talking with Yang which was a good while following her battle with Cinder. We don’t know if that was a result of the Maiden powers or her Aura regenerating naturally, which we know it does.

Back