• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theglassman12

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Alright, I've been meaning to tackle this for some time, especially with Volume 8 bringing up some red flags for the scaling. So let's get this started, most of this is gonna tackle the volume 7-8 stuff but I will go over a couple other things in general for RWBY as I find some of the scaling and ratings to be questionable to say the least. Let's get the smaller stuff out of the way.

Fodder Grimm scaling:

Alright, I've looked through all of the Grimm pages we have and I'm legit confused as to why they're scaled the way they are, More specifically I'm referring to the Beowolf, Boarbatusk, Centinel, Creep, Griffon, King Taijitu, Lancer drones, Manticore, Sabyr and Ursa. The rest of the Grimm I don't have much of an opinion on in terms of where they scale as I more or less agree with those, so let's tackle these ones shall we?

* Beowolf, Boarbatusk, Centinel, Creep, Lancer Drones, Sabyr and Ursa minor.
Alright for starters, all of these for the most part have the same exact reason for being in the level they are in. That they cross scale to each other, they can tear apart an Atlesian Knight 200, and that they're weak compared to other hunters and huntresses but are a threat in pack. The first part of the scaling I don't mind whatsoever since ignoring their evolved states, there's no established hierarchy within these types of grimm in terms of power. Second one I do not understand how this would put them anywhere near building level, when these robots can be destroyed by normal people with no aura, semblances, weapons beyond random stuff they find on the street, so it's not exactly much when these robots aren't that strong and they've all been used as cannon fodder for Grimm in nearly every single moment they fight these creatures. Next, let's move on to the last point, they're not as strong as the other Hunters and Huntresses in training; but can be a threat in packs, this is factually wrong as we've seen time and time again hunters and huntresses in training can destroy them all like it's nothing and even oneshot them with one hit from their weapons or from one gunshot. Their only best feat is from the Lancers tearing apart metal with their tails and breaking the robots, something I'd argue isn't that impressive when these robot can be broken by normal people, and causing this amount of damage to the terrain again a pre-beacon Yang. Who is capable of effortlessly oneshotting these monsters during her time in beacon. So I'm proposing these fodder grimm should be downgraded to 9-B since that's their most consistent shown ratings in the show. This applies to pretty much every fodder grimm here I'm proposing a downgrade to.

*Griffon
So this monster scales to High 8-C because it killed Roman, who's on this level, his reasoning being on this tier is very questionable. As he never knocked Ruby out with his shot, only knocked her off her feet as you can see she's perfectly ok with her aura showing no sign of damage. Him scaling to Blake and Sun makes even less sense when Blake destroys him in Volume 2 by herself, so him scaling to them makes less sense. Topping off with the fact Ruby can kick one away from her and it goes out despite not being trained in hand to hand combat or not being able to use her weapon, I'm suggesting this monster be downgraded too with Roman.

*King Taijitu

Its rating is not true and is ignoring context of the fight it was in. Ren is able to damage and pin down one of them easily. Use his aura to break its teeth and blow its head up with it, and in the end he literally shrugs it off with no sign of fatigue or damage. So them scaling to him in the first place makes no sense when he bodies them in a fight.

*Manticore
So why is its only rating that it can take on Oscar? The same kid that can take on Hazel, the same dude who can exhaust a Nora amped by electricity? The same Nora who without said amp can oneshot these same grimm like its no issue? Something that everyone else on the same level is capable of doing? None of this makes any sense and leads to some massive circular scaling.

*Ursa Major

Their main rating is being able to slap away Cardin Winchester, and he's rated on this level because he can beat Jeanne and keep up with Pyrrha. So let's ignore the fact that Jeanne at this point in time is the weakest dude in the main cast, struggling to keep up with ANY of his teammates whatsoever until volume 4, but explanation literally states Pyrrha beats him AND his team with no issue, which you can see right here. Jeanne needed outside help by Pyrrha in order to remotely take on the Ursa Major, top that off with the fact that Jaune's aura drained rapidly in like 2 hits and would've died had Pyrrha not used her semblance on him to save his ass, I do not see why Jeanne would be rated remotely Large building level when he's shown in the first 3 volumes to be falling behind really bad compared to team RWBY and his own team. Ursa Major at best should upscale to the minor, and Team CRDL and Jeanne should be downgraded to this level too since they barely have much to back up being on par with the rest of the crew.

Aura

Aura has another weakness added, not just using semblances but also the fact that extreme temperatures can wear down one's aura.

Atlas scaling

Now this one I've been meaning to tackle ever since I saw the new ratings. So to put it blunt, anyone that isn't a maiden remotely scaling to them is complete BS. There are plenty of anti-feats to argue against any of them scaling to the maidens in the first place. Penny while fighting Cinder, literally oneshots Neopolitan, Neo in the same volume oneshots Yang with her semblance active, who's the strongest in team RWBY, Emerald, who's considered to be a big threat to the main characters, flat out admits she cannot defeat Penny. Ironwood can take on a normal Winter and even break her aura, but the moment she gains the maiden powers she stomps him with no issues. In volume 7, Cinder is bodying both Penny AND Winter with little to no issues, even breaking Winter's aura with no trouble. The only real damage she takes is in her grimm arm, something that's established to not have aura, and Cinder's aura doesn't dissipate in their fight. Also keep in mind, the aura dissipating is a sign of the characters being out of the fight. They hammer the visual indicator numerous times and these are some of the many examples in the newer volumes. The only times we remotely see anyone "comparable" to a Maiden, is the Ace Ops vs Penny, which doesn't break her aura, and these same guys lost to Team RWBY in the end of Volume 7, team RWBY also has the issue of Yang with her semblance getting oneshotted by Neo, who got oneshotted by Penny, as I explained above, meaning them scaling is very questionable here. I propose they get downgraded back to tier 8, High 8-C, or 8-B I wouldn't mind either, especially the latter since RWBY did have a timeskip with training so they have gotten stronger, just not as strong as the maidens.

EDIT: it seems someone on the thread did a recalc of the Penny Amity Tower lift and it peaks at 8-C… so yeah that makes the 7-C ratings null for all the base characters who remotely scale to the Maidens.

Speaking of which.....

Maidens, Ozpin and Salem scaling

Ok so if you guys aren't aware, the maidens are scaled from Amber's storm feat that puts them in Low 7-B. Issue is that Volume 8's Oscar cane bomb makes this a massive outlier now. For starters, it's established that Ozpin is the person who gave 4 girls the powers of the maidens, and it's even listed on his profile, hence his 7-B rating in the first place. But Volume 8 explains that the nuke he caused with his cane, which is calced to be High 7-C (554 Kilotons), is the result of kinetic energy stored in lifetime after lifetime. Meaning this was a MASSIVE prep time feat that Ozpin took literal centuries to do. And again he upscales from the maidens who has their powers from him, but their feat being Low 7-B (6.02 Megatons), making them nearly 11 times stronger than Ozpin's prep time energy feat, makes their storm calc a massive outlier to use at this point. That's not all, Cinder as a Maiden still feared Salem's power, and Salem is not exactly shown to be that durable, when we've seen numerous instances of her body being broken down by things others on her level could withstand. Such as her body being destroyed in the aftermath of her fight with Ozma while his body is not melted, Yang being able to explode her body but being unfazed by it and regenerate from it. Her being affected by Hazel's strikes, and lastly, her body vaporizing from this bomb. All of this is to say that Salem should have a far lower rating in her durability section since she has consistent showing of being a glass cannon. If anyone tries to argue they'd scale to Salem, again, Cinder fears Salem's power that she wouldn't dare to go against her if Salem knew about it, and Maidens have numerous showings of being far stronger than these normal characters.

Miscellaneous abilities

*Salem abilities and resistances.
So why does being vaporized count as high regen? That's Mid-High regen at best, no mention of atomization whatsoever, and nothing about the God of Darkness survival shows any sign of regen here, she's literally unfazed by this move, meaning it's just deconstruction resistance. Her controlling the grimm pool granting her death and deconstruction makes no sense, it's literally just described as a force of destruction, with slashes attacking her, nothing here at all mentions her body deconstructing or it literally killing anyone who touches the water. This applies to her resistance too and God of Darkness' abilities, except for deconstruction since her body being unfazed by the God of Darkness' attacks does have some backing to her resisting this ability. A being of infinite life somehow equating to resisting life force absorption also is reaching considering this is just another way of saying she's immortal. So I'm proposing nuking this resistance when there's no legit backing for life force absorption here.

*God of Light and Darkness
So... nothing I've seen from either of them remotely proves regeneration on a High level, let alone Type 5 immortality. Manifesting or dispersing in energy doesn't tell me that they regenerated from being atomized, especially if we're talking about the scene where the God of Light just leaves Salem after humanity got thanos'd. That's just him leaving nothing else. Seeing death as trivial is expected for all powerful beings that have type 1 immortality, and warping to the Afterlife doesn't grant you Type 5 by default, by this logic Goku would have Type 5 since he can teleport to the otherworld while alive, which doesn't make any sense.

I'd like to know where the god of Darkness has disease manipulation, I don't recall any showings of him making a plague whatsoever in the episode, if there's any scans for that I'd love to see it, if not I propose it should be removed from his page as it's there with no explanation.

Why does GoD have absorption for catching a bunch of magic attacks in his hands? He doesn't absorb it, he just collects it and uses his own power against them to wipe them out. Once again I'm proposing this to be removed too.

Agree: 10 (Maverick Zero X, Damage3245, KingofWolves, AKM Sama, Tarang123, TheRustyOne, LordGinSama, Scottycj256, Keeweed, Sir Ovens)

Disagree: Spinorr

Neutral: Lordgriffon1000 (agrees with the god abilities), Popted2 (disagrees with maiden scaling for atlas; Jaune Cardin and Ursa Major scaling, neutral and agrees with the rest)

Last edited:
about Jaune i would like to say that while yes Pyrrha did helped him, but just used her semblance on the shield to defend to the ursa strike, infact Jaune beheaded the Ursa by himself, and in volume 3 Jaune was even able to fight on par versus the BRNZ team who can fight on par with the rest of JNPR including Pyrrha, yes its the weakest of the main cast, but just in skill, not in power

These revisions overall make sense. I agree that there are issues regarding characters scaling to Maidens who have no business scaling that high.

Penny oneshot Neo with her Maiden powers, whereas her 7-C feat was performed without them. No one scales to the maidens except the other maidens so im not sure why its being argued like they do.

Put simply, the argument that they shouldn't be tier 7 because they shouldn't scale to the Maidens is nonsensical as even the current profiles dont have them scaling to the Maidens. The 7-C feat that they scale to comes from feats done without the Maiden powers.

All seems fine to me, though spin brings up a good point for the tier 7 stuff. Though Penny did amp in the middle of her feat, she kinda performed it in base, so eh.

Penny oneshot Neo with her Maiden powers, whereas her 7-C feat was performed without them. No one scales to the maidens except the other maidens so im not sure why its being argued like they do.

Put simply, the argument that they shouldn't be tier 7 because they shouldn't scale to the Maidens is nonsensical as even the current profiles dont have them scaling to the Maidens. The 7-C feat that they scale to comes from feats done without the Maiden powers.
Everyone and their mother scales to Penny's 7-C feat because she fought the Ace Ops. However, the Ace Ops did nothing but inconvenience her without Marrow's Semblance. At most you can say Elm overpowered her with LS but that's it. She singlehandedly floored them with Maiden powers, and without them she was just inconvenienced.

And like, it was a 4 v 1? They were ganking her. If individually, each of them were on par with her, she would have been loosing horribly without her Maiden powers.

Seems agreeable from a glance.

The thing about jaune is that it was a skill problem, not a power problem and phyrra helped jaune by just moving his shield and team CRNL still fought phyrra and she won because again she was more skilled

Last edited:
Based on her aura, yeah I saw she isn't even using the maiden powers. She was just using her lifting strength and rocket propellers. Though, I do recall Penny is consistently the muscle of the main group when it comes to the students. Not sure if it should scale to "Everyone", but I don't think she's that overwhelmingly greater than everyone else.

Looking over the clip I cannot tell if Penny successfully raised the structure at all before activating her powers

The screen showing it falling has it slowly being lifted but slowly and penny was struggling in base to do it

I generally just don’t like seeing the name “rwby”, but these revisions seem to make sense at a first glance

Excluding Elm, the Aces Ops are indeed inferior to base Penny in terms of strength. But they are not thousands of times weaker, they were able to hurt her and take hits from her. It is absurd to assume Penny is capable of one shotting all of their Auras, but decides not to because reasons.

With her Maiden powers she is shown to be capable of one shotting people's Aura like Neo, so you can't say she lacks control. Penny didn't just stand there and tank all of their attacks, she was clearly being effected by them. So yes they scale to Base Penny, even if they're weaker.

I do not remember if anyone scales to the Maidens, I haven't seen Volume 8 in awhile. I completely agree with Low 7-B being an outlier though, and the things about Salem.

Edit: Also Amber didn't create a storm, the sky was already covered with dark clouds.

Roman fought on par with Blake and was good enough to knock her away from him, also your ignoring the context of the second fight for some reason. Blake was given dust by Weiss in order to combined with her Semblance, Roman was not expecting Blake to do such things and had no way of dealing with them.

Physically he's shown to be able to block dozens of hits from her and even land his own hits on her.

We're scaling literally every character in the show to a character who was literally regarded as a threat by everyone in Atlas barring her own allies. She singlehandedly took on the Ace Ops and they only won through hax. She otherwise was completely in control of that fight.
Are you ignoring how they hurt her? She got hurt and reacted with pain.

They hurt base Penny, how is this a big deal?

Edit: Penny isn't getting hurt here, she's thousands of times stronger than them and can't be hurt by them?

They're a 4 v 1 gank abusing teamwork to whittle her down. Individually, she had the advantage all round.

We're scaling literally every character in the show to a character who was literally regarded as a threat by everyone in Atlas barring her own allies. She singlehandedly took on the Ace Ops and they only won through hax. She otherwise was completely in control of that fight.
Every character, calm down man we are not scaling every character in the show to Base Penny.

4v1 ganks doesn’t mean the individual members don’t scale.

If 4 people punch someone and all of them do damage, they can all, as individuals, scale to that one person.

It’s not like they only harmed her with combined energy blasts or something

They're a 4 v 1 gank abusing teamwork to whittle her down. Individually, she had the advantage all round.
She is most certainly being hurt, she even screamed when Elm hit her with her rockets. And is visibly flinching and even grunts in pain from Harriet's and Marrow's strikes. Them working together doesn't make their punches magically stronger.

The problem is the chain scaling. RWBY scales to Ace Ops. Adults scale above RWBY. Jaune, Ren, and Nora scale to RWBY. Neo scales to RWBY. When I say everyone scales, I meant it literally.
Can you explain what the real problem is here, because your scaling is kind of off. The adults don't scale above Team RWBY last I checked.

How is Penny actually being hurt if her aura hasn't been broken? That does seem a bit strange to me.

How is Penny actually being hurt if her aura hasn't been broken? That does seem a bit strange to me.
So what? The show constantly shows characters reacting in pain when their Aura are up, they still seem to feel the attacks.

We know she's hurt because she's calling out in pain. With that logic no one scales to anyone unless they physically clash with each other or breaks their Aura.

If you are far enough above someone, they do no damage or inflict pain to you, as seen by maidens flat out negging attacks.

So in order to actually hurt someone with aura, you would have to be comparable to them.

Otherwise none of the feats we have calced even matter since you can just say “no one scales to it cause you don’t break their aura”

RWBY is mostly hated/disliked across the wiki

So we kinda need to remember to actually not try and disagree with actual evidence in the show even if you may not like it

Also aura only breaks when a character is hit a bunch of times, uses their semblance a bunch or is in extreme temperatures for a prolonged time, so I don't see why the aura breaking argument is being used here

Considering Aura works on healthbar rules, they could be flicking her on the head and her Aura will be reduced.

Considering Aura works on healthbar rules, they could be flicking her on the head and her Aura will be reduced.
That's actually false, aura needs to take multiple hits before it even flickers (as shown in ironwood vs watts) and they could still feel pain through the aura

RWBY is mostly hated/disliked across the wiki

So we kinda need to remember to actually not try and disagree with actual evidence in the show even if you may not like it

Also aura only breaks when a character is hit a bunch of times, uses their semblance a bunch or is in extreme temperatures for a prolonged time, so I don't see why the aura breaking argument is being used here
Your first point has literally nothing to do with this discussion Spin. There is no conspiracy theory against RWBY here.

Status
Not open for further replies.