• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rick Sanchez vs. Doctor Strange (Rematch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting 2 characters from different universes against each other is one of the point of these wikia exist, and we have verse equalization.

It's always been a horribly sticky subject to me. Typically I avoid discussing "X vs Y" when two characters are from two different works of fiction. I mean, the discussion is pointless even if the characters ARE from the same universe because the point of writing is usually to sell a story and make moral points rather than for the battles and so forth. To that end the writers will give their characters whatever powers they need to to sell copies and make the moral points they want. That's just how artists think - they channel their feelings throught their work and try to speak through it to the reader. The writer of Superman himself once said when asked how strong Superman really is that "Superman is as strong as he needs to be" - that's because Superman, to the artist, isn't about the fights but rather about the emotional side of things - Superman will be as strong as he needs to be to tell the story. The same can be said about pretty much all characters.. For those reasons I always kinda think it's senseless to pit fictional characters against each other.

Once you realize all of this, you stop seeing works of fiction as being about powers or whatever. Those are just selling-points, a "cool" factor that keeps people entertained and buying it. In the end it's all about making some sort of existential point about life and making money while they're at it. That's all being an author is - another form of speech and another way to make end's meet.

Sorry if some of my nihilistic cyancism is kinda bleeding through these comments. Very guilty of not being exactly the most fun guy in the world.

I'll just abandon the thread at this point. I just kinda chimed in because the Rick and Morty marathon had me looking up some stuff. I usually don't mix well with roleplaying communities and comic nerds arguing and the likes.

I'll say that without inventing something specifically to beat Strange, Rick probably loses. Rick's biggest power is his intelligence, but using his intelligence as a power goes against the No-Limits rule.

I do find it sort-of strange that the wiki's article on fallacies often points out that you shouldn't take implied or assumed strength as fact, but also tries to encourage you to think of things the creator didn't think of or the fact that they could invent something. I'd say make up your mind - either you're going strictly by what feats of strength they've already shown, or you're open to their theoretical/implied strength which may be far greater.

But in a place like this, I figure you should just dismiss everything that isn't explicitly shown to actually happen in a show/story/whatever, just to keep things simple and bickering to a minimum.

In that case, Rick has a lot of cool stuff but Dr. Strange is above them all. Strange wins, Rick loses.

Well the other purposes of this wiki is to store information about certain character too, so if you not interested in VS mathes but think you have new info about Rick that not being mentioned in here then you can create a content revision thread to upgrade him or give him new abilitys.

The whole point of this wiki is basically x vs y :D And since there is consistency in a verse and feats we can measure, it is possible to give a characters a "power level" and see how good they would do against another character. And DC and Marvel had a bunch of writers, which is why we ignore hyperboles and outliners.

Just curious, how do you deal with people with bullshit powers like "infinite luck" or something? Because I'm pretty sure those are plain hacks in every sense of the word. I would assume you'd just disregard them.

And what even puts Rick in the same Tier as strange then? I don't know what feat of strength even puts him in Tier 2C ever.

Rick can travel between universes and dimensions. He doesn't have power over them though, and has never destroyed one. He's only demonstrated ability to move between them, that's it.

Kinda seems like ranking him 2-C is a bit crazy given that. Looking at the Tiering system, the system seems to imply that the character can manipulate and destroy universes at their leisure.

Rick has demonstrated ability to move between universes, but not the ability to destroy them or anything. As far as destructive power goes, he's only demonstrated planetary level power (and it's his inventions that do it, not him, he has no innate powers other than intelligence). I mean I'm sure he could destroy a universe or more if he wanted, but that's never been shown and is just assumed due to his intelligence, and assumption is kinda against the rules here.

Perhaps his rank should be brought down. By like, a lot. If you can't use implied strength as a reference, then pitting him against universe-busting enemies is nothing short of plain stupid.

If we can only go by what they've literally done or what's been directly said, then that'd place him firmly in rank 5-A in my honest opinion (his neutrino bombs are the most physically destructive thing that's been directly referenced so far).

Mmkay, you read all of it right? Made two points there. The other one being that maybe Rick needs a downgrade.

Rick is just... so much of his power is just assumed or implied. Boundless intellect more or less, the ability to invent anything. But without that... yeah given feats of strength so far, he's planetary at best. Pairing against cosmic enemies is just dumb in that case.

Of course there's nuance. Could be if a cosmically powerful enemy has no shown ability to fight back against getting mindjacked, then Rick wins. But... ya know, I kinda think stuff like being resistant to most things becomes assumed when you're dealing with people that powerful. I'd laugh if some deity/god lost a fight because some joe-blow mindjacked them or something, it's just so absurd. Plus if stuff like that is possible then suddenly the tiering system is kinda made redundant, good only for gauging immediate destructive ability and little else - and victory often depends on specifics that the Tiering system can't do justice.

Sorry, better than replying 30 times, you can just assume it's rambling at this point, I'm known for going off tangents and rambling. Yeah I'll probably end up banned in a flash if I don't shut-up (like every site I try to use), so I'll take my leave now I guess.

Strange wins. Not even close really. Too much of Rick's strength is just implied strength rather than anything he's already done. Rick has some specific abilities that are neat and may sometimes render the Tiering system reduntant, but I don't think any of that works on Strange if Strange is totally resistant to Time/Space fuckery, getting mindjacked, and just getting shot / vaporized. Sounds like he's got quite some armor and in that case Rick would have to come up with something new.

I know Rick's character. I know he could come up with a way to win. But that's just against the rules here, and for good reasons I know. These versus battles would be a clusterfuck if that was allowed.

Also, Just so you don't get confused joseph, but I did not change my vote because of your reasons, but because of meosos reasons. No offense, but he's less biased than you are.

LoyalservantofInti said:
Way way way way way way way less biased and many times a better debater than you.
Chill out with the personal attacks, you're quite biased yourself. I asked for scans and you didn't provide any, kept repeating the same thing over and over.

And another thing, stranges profile changed in the middle of this thread. The arguments i started off with were valid because that she what his profile said then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back