• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Relocating Keys to Top of Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure this thread was made numerous times and rejected each time. Anyway, my opinion is pretty much the same; I overall prefer keeping them at the bottom for reasons DontTalkDT and Matthew Schroeder said in the past that it kind of feels easy to skip over. And something notable needs to be a notable line at the bottom. I also have voiced before that I personally wouldn't mind if keys were shown near the top as well as the bottom, but that would make it more repetitive and add more stuff to edit that way. And pretty much just leaned towards just keeping them at the bottom.

I'm pretty sure this thread was made numerous times and rejected each time. Anyway, my opinion is pretty much the same; I overall prefer keeping them at the bottom for reasons DontTalkDT and Matthew Schroeder said in the past that it kind of feels easy to skip over.
DT literally just said here that'd be true if this was made optional. I don't agree with making it optional, I agree with making the change mandatory and over-time.

And something notable needs to be a notable line at the bottom. I also have voiced before that I personally wouldn't mind if keys were shown near the top as well as the bottom, but that would make it more repetitive and add more stuff to edit that way. And pretty much just leaned towards just keeping them at the bottom.
That's why it'd be better to just shift it to the top. It's not like we're changing any stats at all. Nor is this even a Tier name change.

I'm pretty sure this thread was made numerous times and rejected each time. Anyway, my opinion is pretty much the same; I overall prefer keeping them at the bottom for reasons DontTalkDT and Matthew Schroeder said in the past that it kind of feels easy to skip over. And something notable needs to be a notable line at the bottom. I also have voiced before that I personally wouldn't mind if keys were shown near the top as well as the bottom, but that would make it more repetitive and add more stuff to edit that way. And pretty much just leaned towards just keeping them at the bottom.
I apologize if this was a redundancy, I hadn't seen other threads about it. However I think top and bottom is a good idea, personally. If that's repetitive I think the top just makes more sense since earlier information can't be understood without it.

I'm still fine with this being an optional way for formatting imo

As much as I too believe that placing the keys at the top of the profiles would provide better formatting from not having to scroll down to the bottom every time, editing 30K pages would be too much work.

It seems like people generally agree with the merit of the concept with the obvious obstacle being effort. Intuitively I suspect this might be possible with a bot. I will look into that possibility and if I can confirm it I will bring it up here for more specific discussion.

The problem is that, like Damage3245 said, I don't think that this is possible to handle by using the automated AutoWikiBrowser Bot program.

https://community.fandom.com/wiki/Help:Using_AutoWikiBrowser

And if we apply the change in a gradual and disorganised manner, it would turn incoherent, messy, and confusing for our visitors and add massive amounts of extra edit patrolling work for me personally for a very long period of time.

The only way to realistically handle this change is if almost all of our administrators and content moderators agree to split the workload of checking through and correcting around 28,000 to 29,000 pages, along with me giving temporary content moderator rights to other staff members who want to help out, so their edits do not spam the page that I use for my daily edit-patrolling.

However, even if we get as many as 29 volunteers among our staff members for such a project, every single one of them would have to check through and frequently correct 1,000 pages each, and it is much more likely that we get a much lesser amount of volunteers than that.

Also, again, the benefits of this massive project are quite minimal. I would much rather that we, for example, would focus such a great effort on changing all of our striking strength naming conventions to exactly match those for our attack potency and durability instead.

Also, again, the benefits of this massive project are quite minimal. I would much rather that we, for example, would focus such a great effort on changing all of our striking strength naming conventions to exactly match those for our attack potency and durability instead.
But isn't the Striking Strength part easily done by a bot?

But isn't the Striking Strength part easily done by a bot?
Hmm. Maybe.

Would any of you be willing to help out with handling such a task, @Promestein , @AKM sama , @Damage3245 , and @Elizhaa ?

@Antvasima; can you explain that part? Do you mean changing "Large Mountain Class" to "Large Mountain level" for striking strength?

Yes, and Multiversal to Multiverse level, for example.

Perhaps we could lump the two revisions into one. Kill two birds with one stone.

Perhaps we could lump the two revisions into one. Kill two birds with one stone.
That wouldn't really work since the Striking Strength change can be accomplished by bots, and the repositioning of the Keys can't.

The key position changes would take an impractical amount of work since the bot can't help much here.
The striking strength seems more feasible with the bot.

I am neutral on both cases, but I am leaning against the key position changes due to the amount of work required.

Yeah striking strength is easily done. I could feasibly do that, I guess, or at least I could if I was still staff.

The key thing, though, I dunno how you'd change that by bot. It'd definitely be more readable, and I've had people complain about where keys are before, but there's no way to automate this as far as I know. If there is, thank god.

Bear in mind that AWB is mostly used to do simple replacements; this is moving text that will vary page by page.

The key thing, though, I dunno how you'd change that by bot. It'd definitely be more readable, and I've had people complain about where keys are before, but there's no way to automate this as far as I know. If there is, thank god.

Bear in mind that AWB is mostly used to do simple replacements; this is moving text that will vary page by page.
I have asked on the Fandom Developers Wiki about this issue to see if there is an easy way to do this. Intuitively I think it should be possible to instruct a bot to edit a page by locating the line that begins with "Key:" and placing it below a line in the page that begins with "Tier:" (as a rough example) but sometimes seemingly easy things in coding can be far more difficult than a layman might realize.

I will report back once I get some responses and work out if it's possible.

Yeah striking strength is easily done. I could feasibly do that, I guess, or at least I could if I was still staff.
It would be awesome if you are really willing to handle this task.

If you give me instructions what I need to do beyond giving your old Promezwein account administrator rights again (which pages that I need to adjust and if I need to ask a Fandom staff member to reinstate its Bot rights, for example), I will obviously do what I can to help you out in these regards.

That is considerably less important in my view, and also likely requires enormously more work to apply.

The main problem is likely that our Range page currently uses similar naming conventions to our Striking Strength page, so automated changes to one would automatically adjust the other as well.

If you give me instructions what I need to do beyond giving your old Promezwein account administrator rights again (which pages that I need to adjust and if I need to ask a Fandom staff member to reinstate its Bot rights, for example), I will obviously do what I can to help you out in these regards.
And have it added to the AWB list.

Range typically isn't bolded, so I'll target bolded ones specifically.

Thank you for the information. I have reinstated the admin rights for that account and added it to our AWB list.

I will now ask the assigned Fandom staff for our wiki to reinstate its Bot rights.

Also, that is a smart solution to our range problem. Thank you.

Since we are working on range now, can we add any info for boundless range? It is empty there for no reasons

Speaking of range, some units are also missing, like High Universal.

Well, it is probably not necessary to match it absolutely exactly to our tiering system levels, but I am willing to reconsider depending on what others here think.

Thank you for the information. I have reinstated the admin rights for that account and added it to our AWB list.

I will now ask the assigned Fandom staff for our wiki to reinstate its Bot rights.

Also, that is a smart solution to our range problem. Thank you.
@Promestein

A Fandom staff member has reinstated the Bot rights for your Promezwein account now, so I think that everything is in order now.

I will just verify with the other highest ranked staff members if they are fine with the change in question via a new staff forum thread first.

Looks like it's fine, so if there's no issue I'll do it tomorrow.

I'd be fine on the range levels also being renamed accordingly.

That being said, those topics should've gone in another thread to begin with, derailing a topic just because it isn't relevant isn't a good idea as it burdens further getting anything done on that area (as much as CRTs aren't done in vs threads).

I'm seeing overall approval on the derailing-proposed idea either way in the other thread the topic has seemingly moved to, so maybe we can go back with the topic in the OP?

I'd be fine on the range levels also being renamed accordingly.

That being said, those topics should've gone in another thread to begin with, derailing a topic just because it isn't relevant isn't a good idea as it burdens further getting anything done on that area (as much as CRTs aren't done in vs threads).

I'm seeing overall approval on the derailing-proposed idea either way in the other thread the topic has seemingly moved to, so maybe we can go back with the topic in the OP?
It has been declined.

I have asked on the Fandom Developers Wiki about this issue to see if there is an easy way to do this. Intuitively I think it should be possible to instruct a bot to edit a page by locating the line that begins with "Key:" and placing it below a line in the page that begins with "Tier:" (as a rough example) but sometimes seemingly easy things in coding can be far more difficult than a layman might realize.

I will report back once I get some responses and work out if it's possible.

From the look of discussion, that depends on if it's possible to manage significantly by a bot or not, so it'd be best to wait for what Deagonx is replied with.

From the look of discussion, that depends on if it's possible to manage significantly by a bot or not, so it'd be best to wait for what Deagonx is replied with.
Yes, I think so as well.

Yes, I think so as well.
I'm currently discussing it with some people from the Fandom Developers Wiki. It seems optimistic at the moment. I will report back here once I have all the information about whether it's possible and what it would entail.

Okay. Thank you very much for the help.

Also, just a mention that Promestein is awesome as always.

Well, should I wait for the key changes before I do the SS stuff too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back