• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Relocating Keys to Top of Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it'll take hours to do each, so it might be more time efficient to do them together.

Okay, I have spoken with some folks on the Dev Fandom page and created a personal wiki to test the MassEdit.js feature in order to establish proof-of-concept. I tried it on two different test profiles and it worked successfully on both.

So, the relocation of keys can definitely be automated. If we are comfortable with this, we can start small and test it on a single VSBW profile, and if that is successful try it on a small group of profiles, et cetera. We would need to add MassEdit.js to the global.js for an approved bot account, or to the ImportJS list for the wiki (probably not necessary, but we do have MassProtect and MassPatrol on there so it wouldn't be a problem if we did).

I have my own bot account that we could use, or if preferred I can teach someone else the process.

Obligatory Not-Staff but- When the massive Sub-Tier Tagging project was going on, there was a notice for users here about what was going on so they didn't try to change things back.

I feel like another giant notice is in order for this, so people don't try to "fix" what the bot changes

It'll take awhile sure, but it's always something we can work out and start improving like with scroll boxes or sourcing.
We can automate it actually using MassEdit! I worked it out with some people on dev.fandom and gave the instructions to Promestein to test it. It worked on some imported profiles I tested on a personal wiki.

I might be a bit late but i also agree with this, i've had issues with telling what tier belongs to what key a few times on pages with lots of them and i assume that wouldn't be as much of a problem if i didn't have to scroll to see the keys

Well, should I wait for the key changes before I do the SS stuff too?
Well, we don't know if we will be able to efficiently move the "Key:" sections in an automated manner yet.
Did like 1,500 pages
Thank you extremely much for the help. You are awesome as always.
Okay, I have spoken with some folks on the Dev Fandom page and created a personal wiki to test the MassEdit.js feature in order to establish proof-of-concept. I tried it on two different test profiles and it worked successfully on both.

So, the relocation of keys can definitely be automated. If we are comfortable with this, we can start small and test it on a single VSBW profile, and if that is successful try it on a small group of profiles, et cetera. We would need to add MassEdit.js to the global.js for an approved bot account, or to the ImportJS list for the wiki (probably not necessary, but we do have MassProtect and MassPatrol on there so it wouldn't be a problem if we did).

I have my own bot account that we could use, or if preferred I can teach someone else the process.
Thank you very much for the help.

So should we place the "Key:" sections immediately above or immediately below the "Tier:" sections?
Obligatory Not-Staff but- When the massive Sub-Tier Tagging project was going on, there was a notice for users here about what was going on so they didn't try to change things back.

I feel like another giant notice is in order for this, so people don't try to "fix" what the bot changes
This seems like a good idea, yes. I just created a notification for DemonGodMitchAubin though, but suppose that I can replace it soon.

Also, we would need to quickly update the following instruction page accordingly:

@Damage3245 @Dereck03 @Just_a_Random_Butler

Would any of you and/or other staff members here be willing to handle it in that case?

Would any of you and/or other staff members here be willing to handle it in that case?
My new PC will arrive in a few days. For now I'm not able to handle hard editing works as I'm in phone atm. My apologies.

May I help with this (even tho I am not staff member?), I am right now at my PC and can help with this if anyone is busy with their duties

My new PC will arrive in a few days. For now I'm not able to handle hard editing works as I'm in phone atm. My apologies.
Okay. I think that we can probably wait for you to set it up before editing the instruction page in question though.

Keys being below tiers or just at the end of the page? Is it optional or obligation?
I mean, it's probably not in practice yet because the discussion is still ongoing. But yes, this is most likely going to be mandatory. It's a really bad idea to make this just optional, because we strive for consistency, we don't want people putting keys at the bottom of the page, and some just below the tier, that kind of inconsistency is confusing. Also, the Standard Format will be changed accordingly, so I think it is mandatory.

I mean, it's probably not in practice yet because the discussion is still ongoing. But yes, this is most likely going to be mandatory. It's a really bad idea to make this just optional, because we strive for consistency, we don't want people putting keys at the bottom of the page, and some just below the tier, that kind of inconsistency is confusing. Also, the Standard Format will be changed accordingly, so I think it is mandatory.
So if I changed now, will it mess up or am I violating rules or what exactly (I am rn working my verse page).
I need to be safe at least.

Last edited:
You should wait with any Key section placement updates until we know for certain whether or not such a change can be handled by automated Bot edits.

If it can not be accurately handled by a Bot, we will not allow the change in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back