• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Questions about Bible-themed profiles and media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm betting this will be closed before I get an answer about this. But anyway so recently I've realized that there are profiles like this. Such as Jesus (American Gods) or Jesus (Madness Combat) (Which technically isn't Jesus but still), and yet Profiles like Moses (Prince of Egypt) was deleted. I was thinking of adding characters of similar stature from generally wildly inaccurate movies like Noah and the Watchers from Noah (2014), and Moses from Exodus: Gods and Kings. These versions of the characters are in similar vain to the profiles mentioned above, as well as being generally thought to be false to the Bible. Tbh the only profiles from those moves that seem legitimate would be The Watchers who are 9-Bish, Methuselah with the fire sword, and Moses who has Weapon Mastery, Skilled in h2h fighting, likely 9-C. I just would like to know what the rules are about these things before people close this. I mean, pretty sure we have bible inspired characters on this wiki, like characters supposed to be the God of Christianity.

I am not sure why the Prince of Egypt profile was deleted, but yes, I suppose that your suggestion would probably be fine.

Never mind. This is not the right place to have such a discussion. I will remove the comments.

Inappropriate topics for an entertainment wiki.

Should we ask Matthew what the problem with the prince of Egypt profile was?

Nah, it was a literal translation of the biblical story, so I suppose that he had a point in deleting it to avoid controversy.

I think it needs to be distinct enough from the original religious version. But things like Eru Iluvatar, Gan, while taking inspiration from abrahamic religions, are still entirely fictional portrayals with distinction from religious versions. I still want Gnosticism.

Are we allowed to create profiles of actual characters from the Bible? I ask because I thought we just aren't supposed to make battles involving them, and because we have profiles from dozens of other mythologies.

I've noticed on other media that whenever the users there do similar things, they mention in the post that they aren't trying to offend anyone, and it all goes okay in the comments. Though I'm not trying to start anything.

Yeah kinda why I haven't added any Divine Comedy characters. Wouldn't add Satan, Jesus, or God but still. Demons, Shades, and other entities are generally 9-C to 9-B

Dude

If Gnosticism was rejected for having the biblical god as pure evil despite being completely seperate from the bible

No way the bible itself is getting allowed

Divine Comedy isn't the Bible. It's about a poet who goes to hell, purgatory and heaven accompanied by an another poet (for the most part) protected by God's will. Very brief summary as the book is HUGE.

Antvasima said:
Nah, it was a literal translation of the biblical story, so I suppose that he had a point in deleting it to avoid controversy.
Actually, a large part of it was actually changed or edited in the process of making that movie.

ZacharyGrossman273 said:
Dude

If Gnosticism was rejected for having the biblical god as pure evil despite being completely seperate from the bible

No way the bible itself is getting allowed
Except the Demiurge isn't close to the Biblical god at all. It shares about the same backstory as the only thing in common. Everything else for the most part is completely different. We allow characters like YHVH, but something like the Demiurge is banned? That seems like a major double standard.

It seems safest and most consistent to avoid creating profiles directly based on modern religious scriptures. Most of the adherents won't want to kill us for it, but there is one exception, and we should still be consistent in showing some measure of respect and avoiding drama.

Gnosticism shouldn't have profiles on the wiki. I specially doubt that the people who want profiles for it would even borther to read the original texts, much less bother to understand them. We would get generic profiles based on summaries in websites.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Gnosticism shouldn't have profiles on the wiki. I specially doubt that the people who want profiles for it would even borther to read the original texts, much less bother to understand them. We would get generic profiles based on summaries in websites.
I could live with that being the reason. Banning it because of religion is what didn't make sense. That said, I'm sure at least someone would bother to read them, or at least try and fact check.

Look, this site reaches up to 800000 people a month. If we featured profiles based on major existing religions, it would be sure to attract lots of drama, and in one case potential massive threats to our personal lives and safety. I want this wiki to remain mostly safe and harmless.

Antvasima said:
Look, this site reaches up to 800000 people a month. If we featured profiles based on major existing religions, it would be sure to attract lots of drama, and in one case potential massive threats to our personal lives and safety. I want this wiki to remain mostly safe and harmless.
Of course, and that makes sense. Gnosticism isn't really too major though. Though if you truly find it to be incredibly disruptive and potentially lethal, I don't really have any qualms.

Asuka the Demonic Empress said:
It mostly because people get offended that their god could be used for a profile as a "fictional" character.
Nah, that wasn't really the argument/problem. If it was just that we couldn't make things like The Authority

I only find Islam potentially lethal, for extremely good fact-based reasons, but we cannot disrespect other major religions just because they are more peaceful and tolerant.

We should not continue this discussion though, as it is a potential powder keg.

It is probably best if I close this thread then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back