• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Questioning Barney Stinsons rating

DarkGrath

Top Tiering Advisor in Liyue
She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
Human Resources
Currently, Barney Stinso is rated at 9-B for the following feats:

- Injured Marshall who survived a meat sub explosion that was strong enough to blow up a manikin

- Stronger than and can injure Ted who fought and took hits from a Goat and stopped Lily and Robin physically from fighting

- Pushed Marshall hard enough to break apart a piece of a wooden table

- Punched a hole in a wall

- Took direct hits from Marshall, who beat up Doug, who could knock out three people.

- Was hit by a speeding bus, and survived, albeit he was injured badly

I have a problem with all these justifications, though.

Meat Sub Explosion: Honestly probably the only reasonable justification here, but still has issues. For starters, this is entirely uncalced. And destroying a manikin on it's own is not necessarily 9-B at all. The scene should be calced, yet isn't even provided on his profile.

Injuring Ted: Why is this even considered 9-B? Ted's best feat, as mentioned, is fighting a goat. Which is a 9-C feat even if they were 100% comparable to them, as goats are only 9-C. Also, stopping two people from fighting makes no sense as an AP feat.

Pushing Marshall hard enough to break a wooden table: This happens IRL all the time, and isn't an indication on it's own of the individual's AP. If I pushed someone off a rooftop, and they died, would that indicate that their force hitting the ground is what I hit them with? Obviously an exaggerated example, but the force someone inflicts upon landing doesn't equate to the force they were pushed with. You'd just need to push hard enough to make them lose their balance, which isn't hard.

Punched a hole in a wall: This isn't what Wall level means. Not every teen named Kyle who's obsessed with Monster energy is 9-B.

Took hits from Marshall: Aight, but like, scaling. This isn't a 9-B feat unless Marshall is 9-B, which isn't really evidenced. The best evidence given is that Doug knocked out 3 people, which has no context and which any reasonably skilled and athletic human can do. You don't have to be 9-B.

Hit by a speeding bus and survived: This happens all the time IRL due to plenty of factors that can influence the survivability of the incident. Especially considering that he was severely injured by it. This is pretty normal for a human, not an indication of being comparable to the force of a speeding bus.

So, with this in mind, what should we do?

Well, frankly, I can't agree with the rating in it's current state and I believe it should be removed. None of the justifications suggest 9-B unless you wank them to an insane extent. The only one that could viably be 9-B would be the meat sub explosion, and that hasn't been calced yet nor is the clip of it happening provided.

I'd suggest changing him to a 9-C rating via scaling to Ted, who is seemingly comparable to IRL goats. And if the clip for the meat sub explosion can be provided, I recommend for it to be calced by the calc group members.

9-C seems fine. I find it weird that he has superhuman speed because he caught up to a taxi that was going slow and is comparable to characters who can move their hands slightly to catch a moving hockey put propelled by someone quite drunk.

There is a jukebox destroying feat from Marshal, but I'm almost certain that's an inconsistent gag

Also if most of the feats get debunked, and the meat sub explosion turns out to be 9-B, I think that has to be counted as an outlier. The verse is pretty out there at times, but overall it portrays the characters as normal humans

There is a 9-B feat with a speeding bull btw, given 3 possible 9-B feats the ranking might be consistent enough to stay.

What was the speeding bull feat? I don't think it's linked anywhere on the profile.

Anyway, my point isn't "Barney definitely isn't 9-B". My point was "All of these feats are in pretty regular human ranges and don't justify 9-B". If the explosion comes out to 9-B, then an argument could be made for that.

Wait, just saw the video and don't think it's 9-B at all

She just says she got gored by a bull with no explanation of how badly she was hurt, I don't think that's superhuman

Ahh, right. My bad, must have glazed over that.

Well, alright. If it was like, a full on 100% head on collision with a raging bull then I think that's fair for 9-B. But like a lot of these other feats, these are the kinds of situational things that regular humans do all the time.

Also, the actual link on the page links to a video of an explicitly deleted scene, so I don't think it can even be used.

I'd be surprised if Barney was 9-C and not 10-A.

I mean, if he scales to someone who is explicitly as strong as a goat, then 9-C should be fine (since we already list goats as being 9-C). Though 10-A would frankly make more sense contextually (given that it's literally on the level of athletes already). Whichever makes more sense is fine, but 9-B should almost certainly go unless the meat sub explosion is calced and comes out to it.

1. Ted got his shit wrecked by the goat. Like literally ragdolled. That was the joke.

2. I personally have been charged by a goat as a kid. I am not 9-C. Nor is Ted.

3. Meat sub explosion is a gag and even if it weren't an outlier, I'd still call for it to be ignored.

Well then, is there anything that would make Barney 10-A as opposed to 10-B?

Fair point. If I remember correctly the guy is fairly fit and (laugh all you want) does a lot of laser tag shit. He's taken punches before though generally he is visibly hurt by that. He has athletic feats like jumping across gaps in buildings and at one point running across Manhattan. But none of those are 100% concrete. So I'd be fine with 10-B, possibly higher.

Shouldn't he get acrobatics then? Also should his profile get deleted if he ends up being a 10-B without superhuman reactions, because he just has a relatively normal assortment of skills.

That sounds good to me. If the guy was ragdolled by the goat, then he shouldn't even be 9-C.

Tago238 said:
Shouldn't he get acrobatics then? Also should his profile get deleted if he ends up being a 10-B without superhuman reactions, because he just has a relatively normal assortment of skills.
Definitely wasn't acrobatics. It was a jump, not a backflip, it was just of decent size to the point that initially everyone thought they'd die doing it. Regarding deletion... no, I actually think he does have enough abnormal skills to be used. His social influencing isn't nearly as dubious as other profiles and unironically he would have weapon mastery given the laser tag stuff, he just doesn't carry a gun. Stealth mastery would also be a defensible ability to possess. And, to be clear, there is a good chance he has defense for 10-A, I just personally cannot think of it right now.

Has the creator of the profile, whoever they may be, been contacted?

OH also I should note, Marshall is absolutely at least 10-A. Outside of just being huge compared to others, he has...

- Had bone breaking death matches in which furniture was broken by body slamming people through it

- KO'd a guy in one hit a guy who KO'd Ted in one hit.

- Hurt someone with a hug

I'm not sure I'd scale Barney of all people to Marshall but that guy is absolutely above 10-B.

Schwxnz said:
Barney could be 10-A via scaling to Marshall, who beat up Doug, who in return knocked out three people
And then later KO'd Ted in one hit, see my second point. But yeah, Marshall > Doug.

The creator of the page was Buttersamuri. I'll contact him now.

Explosion: Should be calculated.

Goat: Don't know the context of the fight, but fighting a goat doesn't necessarily mean you scale to its full KE

Break wooden table: You can try to calculate work required to destroy that table minus work done by gravity to get how much force he applied.

Punch hole in a wall: Er, I think that might be 9-B, as the baseline for 9-B is based on a gun drilling holes in a wall. Again we should probably calculate that though.

Knocking out people: Professional boxers punch at 2500 Newtons average and they occasionally knock people out, so even if you double that to get 5000 Newtons it definitely isn't 9-B.

Hit by speeding bus: If he was severely injured it probably shouldn't scale to physicals.

Wooden table: Can we use work done for ap if we can't scale LS to AP? It depends on the table, plus it was in use for a while and likely was more worn down and lacking in structural integrity. If you calculated it you would probably come in the negative joules considering the force of the person on the table would definitely be enough to break it. I mean, I'm fairly sure they didn't use special effects for this scene or use a specially made styrofoam table to show how powerful their relatable characters are, so I imagine the actors who should be normal people aren't 9-B

Hole in wall: Wasn't it a plaster wall? It looked pretty hollow from the video and definitely a lot different to drilling holes in a cement wall of something.

Calcing the exploding sub shouldn't be a problem. I'll need to find a place I can actually pull up the scene specifically as YouTube doesn't have it which is why it never was linked.

To cover most all injuring or taking hits from said cast member. Just them scaling to each other. They all being within each other's league which is why it's there. I put injuring ted so it didn't look so empty in justifications and cause that's one of the people who scale that Barney's injuried. If the wall feats are debuffed, those justifications can still stay, they just would scale to the level he would be at. (If they get debuffed to street. It's just street level then)

As far as the table feat. The fact marshal takes the impact and gets up means he can handle the impact to break the table regardless. If you pushed someone off a roof and they survive impact and get back up, if you can injure ot scale to said person, then the feat still equates to something.

The hole in the wall feat could also probably be calced, it likely isn't actually wall level, and was only put in the page so it didn't look so empty, but also linked it for context so it doesn't get overplayed.

While getting hit by cars and such have factors that can allow me or you to survive. This scene doesn't really show many factors that would help it. The bus hit him directly, it didn't slow down after hitting him or showed any signs of slowing, as it continues to drive until off screen, and it's a rather large bus. I don't know if any cases like that where a human has survived such an impact. People have survived being hit by a car due to things like the way it hit them, the fact they went flying and cut out a good portion of the energy they felt, the car attempting to stop or slow down, and size of the car. But this is a large bus which made no attempt to stop even after hitting him, and hit him entirely. I don't think any real average or even more fit human would survive that period.

The Bull feat. The producer wanted her to try bull fighting. She didn't just get gourd you close. Based on what's said. It's very likely it was charging at her like done in bull fighting.

As for using it. I should note, while it's a deleted scene, this is previously brought up by Ted that she did bull fight in previous episodes. This was meant likely to be a separate episode entirely but they never got around to it, as Ted said he would tell them the bull fighting story later. I think it should be fair game to use since it's canonically brought up earlier, and this scenes deleted to save time so it's not as long when being aired. Iirc, we have used an episode that got canceled for Invader Zim because the entire storyboard had been officially publish to show the episode, and it held vital info about zim and a weakness of his. (If I remember this correctly)

The jukebox feat, regardless of it being fake, wouldn't it still yield some sort of result since it did damage regardless? Still a lot of damage.

With the goat feat btw. here's the actual fight of it according to ted.

If the wall feats don't work out, still a few other feats that could be checked. There's two feats where Marshal and Barney shatter a vase to pieces, as well Lily catching her hockey puck after she smacks it. The Vase feat may hold some water since Glass destruction looks like it's getting updated to be a bit stronger than it was before. and breaking tables like this could possibly be calced. There are still a few feats like this spread through the series that could be looked over should 9-B not work out.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot. I meant to continue this after the forum move.

Hole in a wall, table breaking and bus impact do sound like actual 9-C, unless the bus left him outright hospitalized.

Pretty sure he was in a full body cast and the others visited him in hospital.
This is correct, aye. Barney has never performed any non-gag feat without some form of obvious wound/damage being dealt, afaik.

Well, yeah. That's kind of why the thread was started. All of the feats mentioned appear to be 9-C at best, and the only one that seems like it could be 9-B was uncalced.

So has this downgrade been accepted then?

Back