• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Profile Pictures - Official, Fanart, and Unrelated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean... If Ant strongly agrees then it's he's choice 🤷‍♂️

But I still think that it might maybe lead to problems or trouble but idk

Our members should always give credit to the original artist, if they know the source. The problem is when they do not do so.

There could also be fans that could find it disrespectful... But since this community isn't THAT big, it's alright for now I feel like

I can't agree that canon should always be a priority. Sometimes renders from other sources such as video games can be significantly better than an anime render. Certain Dragon Ball characters come to mind.
I'm pretty sure DB and Disney profiles were recently changed to only have canon images iirc.

I'm pretty sure DB and Disney profiles were recently changed to only have canon images iirc.
I wouldn't doubt if it was because some of those canon images were much better than fanart alternatives. The game renders on a lot of DB profiles look particularly good.

If we're arguing over fanart again, I'd like to reiterate that I'm totally in favor of using fanart if it is of higher quality than canon art. This is not meant to disrespect the creators or what have you (indeed, if I'm using fanart of their verse, there's a good chance I rather like the thing), but oftentimes fanart is simply far better for our purposes on the wiki.

Take a verse like Noita for example. Excellent game, but the protagonist has like 20 pixels to his name. And then he has actually usable fanart. The same logic exists regardless of the quality of the game's art- if better fanart exists, I'll be preferring to use that, with proper credit to the artist, of course.

If we're arguing over fanart again, I'd like to reiterate that I'm totally in favor of using fanart if it is of higher quality than canon art. This is not meant to disrespect the creators or what have you (indeed, if I'm using fanart of their verse, there's a good chance I rather like the thing), but oftentimes fanart is simply far better for our purposes on the wiki.

Take a verse like Noita for example. Excellent game, but the protagonist has like 20 pixels to his name. And then he has actually usable fanart. The same logic exists regardless of the quality of the game's art- if better fanart exists, I'll be preferring to use that, with proper credit to the artist, of course.
Wouldn't that be like replacing the Aftons 8-bit designs by fanart tho ?

I'd rather keep fanart for cases where there's no official art whatsoever, if there's official art existing but it just isn't as good, which is quite arbitrary, mind you, official art should be kept as an higher priority, not doing so makes us be more unprofessional out of featuring fan-content as the main thing.
If anything the official art should be featured too at least, as it displays the most direct appearance that was actually portrayed, rather than the interpretation of a fan.

On that note, I'm also concerned about the usage of official art, I think we should give more priority to the art of the respective canon (if it exists, of course), as it appears unprofessional to be mixing up incarnations just because the art of one is "better" than another, namely for cases with characters that are in crossover games and the likes.
Similarly, featuring the "better" art can also be an option, so long the one fitting the respective canon is also present first, at least if you ask me.

Overall this is a nice compromise to consider for both sides.

Last edited:
We cannot suddenly change our working wiki policies in manners that would require enormously time-taxing revisions.

I'd rather keep fanart for cases where there's no official art whatsoever, if there's official art existing but it just isn't as good, which is quite arbitrary, mind you, official art should be kept as an higher priority, not doing so makes us be more unprofessional out of featuring fan-content as the main thing.

I'm sure you mean well but strictly speaking this isn't a professional place. We create VS Battles profiles as hobbies / fun, and to be informative. (That's not to say users & staff aren't expected to act professionally where appropriate)

Fan content can sometimes be much, much better for illustrative purpsoes than a low quality official image.

Damage is correct. We should preferably drop this discussion.

Fine, if that's what most staff prefer right now, I suppose.

However, there's still this addition that has been approved being yet to be added, respectively.

I'm open for suggestions on what to change, but to avoid this being a one-liner, I'll go ahead and try to improve the current idea further:

• When creating or editing a profile, if you use an image from a fan artist to represent the character/weapon/vehicle/verse in question, insert a text into the image's description page that gives credit to the artist, and if you can, also provide a link to their website or profile on DeviantArt, Tumblr, etcetera. Note that unrelated images, often for cases that lack sufficient (if any) visual details whatsoever to derive from, aren't allowed, as they apply unecessary headcanon and derail from the purpose of illustrating the character or object in an appropiate manner.

This notably affects Anu, Padomay and The Goddess of the Manifold as they rely on entirely unrelated images that are no different from grabbing a stock image for a character we don't even have a visual description of.

And before anyone asks, this was already accepted (arguably multiple times in fact, this topic just keeps silently being forgotten for some reason) as said before, check from the post below and the comments since then

Last edited:
Totally unrelated images shouldn't be used. Like I said first "official art should be first used then the fan-art but if the official has bad quality (resolution or missing parts like text bubbles/pure text or other things that may obscure the character) then a fan-art should be good if it doesn't stray too far from the original". Yeah, I agree.

Thank you for the replies.

I have applied the accepted changes:

Should we close this thread now, or is it better if somebody removes the header images for the known affected profile pages first?

Can somebody link to the ones you know about please?

I removed the header images from those pages.

Okay. I will do so.

Thank you to everybody who have helped out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back