• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regulation on the Use of Art in Vs Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmortalDread

Call me Dread
Username Only
VS Battles
Retired

Introduction​

The purpose of this regulation is to establish guidelines for the use of art in Vs Battle Wiki Profiles.

This should be added in editing rules under “Image” Section.

Scope​

This regulation applies to all art used in Vs Battle Wiki profiles, including both official and fan art.

Draft​

1. Official art should be used whenever possible, as it is a more accurate representation of the characters or subjects depicted.
  2. Fan art may be used as an alternative to official art if the official art is of poor quality or does not adequately represent the characters or subjects depicted.
  3. In cases where fan art is used, it should be based on canonical descriptions and depictions of the characters or subjects depicted, unless there is no official art available and the fan art accurately describes the character.
  4. The use of fan art should be limited to situations where it serves a specific purpose, such as filling a gap in official art or adding an element of creativity or personal expression to the profile.
  5. Any use of fan art should be properly credited to the artist. If the artist is unknown, this should be noted under the picture itself.
  6. The decision to use fan art in Vs Battle Wiki profiles should be made on a case-by-case basis, taking into account the purpose of the profile and the appropriateness of the art.
  7. Rendered official arts are permitted. To request an image render, please visit here. The instructions are visible in this page.
  8. Any questions or concerns about the use of art in Vs Battle Wiki profiles should be directed to the Profile image additions or replacements requests

Alternative ways to add credits​

If anyone used fan art due to no solution whatsoever, it should be noted like this.
Code:
[[File:picture.jpg/png|thumb|right|Note: Art made by [https://www.fanart.com/pictureX "Artist Name"]]]

The other alternative method could be acquainted like this:

Summary​

Art made by “Artist Name” (link should be added)

Draft for “Adding Credits”​

1. Be sure to properly attribute the artist and include their name or handle whenever possible. This is a basic courtesy and helps to support the work of creators.
    • If you are using the art on a profile character, consider adding the credit under the art itself. This makes it easy for viewers to see who created the artwork and gives them the option to learn more about the artist.
    • If you are uploading the art to a Vs Battle Wiki, consider adding the credit in the summary or description section. This helps to provide context and attribution for the artwork, and makes it easier for other users to find and credit the artist if they wish to use the art as well.
  2. If you are unsure how to properly credit the artist or are unable to find their name or handle, consider reaching out to them or searching online to find more information. It is important to make an effort to credit artists for their work and support them in their creative endeavors.

Last edited:
These seem like reasonable guidelines to me.
Thank you for your input. This has been a rule for a while, so I am thinking of making it an official, rather unspoken rule. So I created this thread for this purpose.

How about official art that got photoshopped ?
It won't be called official anymore, rather fan art. Any revisions to the official art will no longer be considered official. Unless you mean rendering those pictures, then this is still allowed.

Last edited:
But thanks for the note, I will add this to guidelines. This is worth noting.

Last edited:
Editing rules makes the most sense, since it's about profiles, and there's already an images section there (thanks to me.)
Oh yes, this can be added under image section. I don't mind either.

Miscellaneous​

If anyone used fan art due to no solution whatsoever, it should be noted like this.
Code:
[[File:2huHecate.jpg|thumb|right|300px|Note: Art made by [https://www.fanart.com/pictureX Artist Name]]]
Can't you just add it in the summery section when uploading the image/file?

Perhaps, do you mean like this?

Summary​

[Description]

Art made by “Artist Name”

Could be a potential suggestion as well. Both methods can work.

I think that all of these suggestions are what we are already supposed to do.

I fixed the 5th guideline. In case someone does not know the fan art artist and has no other possibility, it should be simply noted under the picture.

To make sure: "Vs Battle Wiki materials" means profiles, not anything else, yes?

I distinctly recall a thread in which we more or less agreed to all of this (although I believe the standards for fanart were more lax in that they could be used on a whim, so long as it was of higher quality/more appropriate/what have you).

Would somebody in our staff be willing to write updated text for our Editing Rules about these subjects? I think that the page in question already mentions most of them though.

I distinctly recall a thread in which we more or less agreed to all of this (although I believe the standards for fanart were more lax in that they could be used on a whim, so long as it was of higher quality/more appropriate/what have you).
I just noticed no one put under action or made proper guidelines. Hence I created those for better transparency.

1. Official art should be used whenever possible, as it is a more accurate representation of the characters or subjects depicted.
2. Fan art may be used as an alternative to official art if the official art is of poor quality or does not adequately represent the characters or subjects depicted.
Okay

3. In cases where fan art is used, it should be based on canonical descriptions and depictions of the characters or subjects depicted, unless there is no official art available and the fan art accurately describes the character.
Okay, seems too similar to number 2.

4. The use of fan art should be limited to situations where it serves a specific purpose, such as filling a gap in official art or adding an element of creativity or personal expression to the profile.
What do you mean by filling a gap in official art?

5. Any use of fan art should be properly credited to the artist. If the artist is unknown, this should be noted under the picture itself.
6. The decision to use fan art in Vs Battle Wiki profiles should be made on a case-by-case basis, taking into account the purpose of the profile and the appropriateness of the art.
7. Rendered official arts are permitted. To request an image render, please visit here. The instructions are visible in this page.
8. Any questions or concerns about the use of art in Vs Battle Wiki profiles should be directed to the Profile image additions or replacements requests
Okay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back