• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Potentially 2-A Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats pretty much what I was reffering with my last sentence.

Also, the "original Japanese name" argument got me, so I kinda regret the comment I made, but since I write at the speed of snail, I didn't notice before.

Ever could've worded it like that. But Rep is right. However, I did calculate that Low balling the number of non-legendary Pokémon to 600, and using any level between 1 and 100, there's some number with 32 zeroes for a combination.

Because unlike normal dungeons, the level isn't guaranteed either. And I still left out the number of Pokémon species per floor in a dungeon (5-20) and the name of the place.

Even switching out level and replacing it with species per floor in a dungeon, we still get a number with 32 zeroes (I miscounted the first one. It was 33.)

@Cal

You're using game mechanics again. Do you have any dialogue, item statements, or explicit feats that imply an infinite multiverse?

Levels might actually be canon...they're referenced a few times throughout the games and anime, Ash even said his Pideotto was a certain level in the school episode if memory serves. It's a weird thing, but I think they're not as "defined" in the canon as they are in the mechanics.

I'm not going Infinite anymore (and game mechanics are occasionally necessary as long as they're not stupid like Dan beating Akuma or something like that)

@Darkanine

Are you sure they aren't being arbitrary about levels of power? I don't recall a single instance in the games or manga where they explicitly refer to numeric levels.

Actually in an early episode they mention levels and what moves are learned by pidgetto at each level, its the one with the lass with a cubone.

@J-Man

Is this a one-off thing, or is this consistent throughout all the continuities?

They are also referenced in the Adventures manga

However, keep note that they are not referenced in PMD, a universe where pokemon are significantly different, so it could potentially be game mechanics in this case.

@Reppuzan

In "The School of Hard Knocks", the students refer to levels as if they were some sort of numerical system that judges a Pokemons power. Whatever the case, I wouldn't use levels for scaling or anything, but I just wanted to point out they may be more then mechanics.

@Reppuzan Not sure, I just recall that instance specifically, and in Adventures with scouters. Theres probably an npc that mentions in PMD but that could just be a 'Pres A to save' type of message.

I repeat my question from above.

Why should we consider those universes?

And don't even say because of the title "Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth", Labyrinth is explicitely singular in there, which would imply that there is only one. (not to mention being most likely hyperbole)

@Prospect They're canon to PMD, the same series where star busting Rayquaza and Mewtwo are from, they don't exist in stuff like the anime though as far as I know. But pretty sure we use composite here so uh, who knows.

TheJ-ManRequiem said:
@Prospect
They're canon to PMD, the same series where star busting Rayquaza and Mewtwo are from, they don't exist in stuff like the anime though as far as I know. But pretty sure we use composite here so uh, who knows.
arent all pokemon games canon?

Not really. It just supports countless universe and parallel dimensions and timelines. i.e nothing changes.

PaChi2 said:
The gates are probably meant to be "infinite" as the name implies, but of course, you cant put "infinite" in a game because its technically impossible.
Author intention vs technical limitations.

Any statement in the game would be helpful for the upgrade @Cal
limitations are usually there so the game doesnt crash. Minecraft has a limit to how far you go, although its stated to be infinite, so you dont crash after traveling to far

Hmm....well how about this......as the OP suggests:

"2-B, Potentially 2-A?

It has the potential to be 2-A but due to nothing actually confirming it we can't straight up make Arceus 2-A. And then make a note on his page saying not to pit Arceus against 2-A's yet until there's definite proof of him being in that tier.

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
Hmm....well how about this......as the OP suggests:
"2-B, Potentially 2-A?

It has the potential to be 2-A but due to nothing actually confirming it we can't straight up make Arceus 2-A. And then make a note on his page saying not to pit Arceus against 2-A's yet until there's definite proof of him being in that tier.
Arceus already has sketptical reasoning for it's 2-B rating there's no way this vague information can warrant a rating of potentially 2-A.

Yes but it being potentially 2-A is a different story.

We know this isnt 2-A because of the lack of evidence but that doesnt mean it can't ever become 2-A. Thats why I added "potentially" to the equation.

No Kukui. We can just leave this at 2-B nothing more. I'm tempted to close this. But I have invited Azzy here as well. What you think of the 2-B stuff is irrelevant here @Sage but you are indeed correct that this will NOT warrant a 2-A placement.

We can't just give out rankings for not having shown limits. That is literally the whole No-Limit fallacy thing. If we did all characters without evidence for not being higher would have a "possibly higher level" added.

And as said without evidence to this even being universes, much less them being infinite, this warrants nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back