• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Potentially 2-A Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
So, I was doing some research, and I found something called Magnagates. They're a thing in one of the Mystery Dungeon games that open portals to different worlds. The fun thing about them is that there are a bunch of different ways that they can be. Everything is random, and there is a very very very low possibility of anything repeating. Different Pokémon, different terrain, different name, different amount of floors, different rank of difficulty, etc. even normal Mystery Dungeons aren't like that. The fact that they're different suggests that there's an infinite amount of them, giving credence to the name of the game: Gates of Infinity. Of course, Arceus and the other three scale to this in their complete forms.

Or I could just be misinterpreting and it could just be portals. \_('-')_/

This is way too much speculation.

Just because they can open up portals to other worlds which are very rarely the same doesn't mean there are suddenly infinite universes.

I agree with Ever. Sorry, Cal, but as much as I love pokémon (favorite verse, lol) there isn't anything that points to infinite universes without going to full speculation mode, and even then, it would still be too big of a stretch.

@Ever. It's literally called Gates to Infinity, and there's literally a less than .000000000001 chance of getting the same world, and that's lowballing.

Legitimately to get the same world, you'd have to get lucky with any Pokémon that's not legendary or mythical, that vary between 5 and 20 of them, varying from any level, with the same type of terrain and name with the same Pokémon and partner.

A name is a name (Unless you wanna say Android Saga Vegeta is 3-A) and those statistics are completely meaningness.

Is there any statement from any character in the game to backup this? Like an NPC talking about the place or something?

@Ever. You can't actually put infinity in a game. If they didn't want to imply actual gates to infinity, then they wouldn't call it that. Because technically, it's gates to (some incredibly large number that I don't feel like calculating). If we did things like that, Asriel's infinite stats would just be a hyperbole or whatever, and we'd just rank that at that.

I agree with the others, this is very speculative...

At least we have a new test to reinforce the status of Arceus and the trio creation as 2-B

The gates are probably meant to be "infinite" as the name implies, but of course, you cant put "infinite" in a game because its technically impossible.

Author intention vs technical limitations.

Any statement in the game would be helpful for the upgrade @Cal

The feat being high-end 2-B should warrant merely 2-B, not At least 2-B.

@Pa Author's intent =/= actual rating. I would argue that if we went by that logic, a lot of characters would have very different rankings. Especially if it's by name (The example Ever brought up, Frieza's Supernova, etc)

So are we counting PMD as secondary / primary canon? If so, what implications does it have outside of this?

SomebodyData said:
So are we counting PMD as secondary / primary canon? If so, what implications does it have outside of this?
I was wondering this too. Up to now it always seemed like we treated PMD as being a multiverse completely removed from the normal one.

I mean I would think PMD is a form of secondary canon. It is likely just another universe in the Pokemon Multiverse. Implications-wise....I guess we'll have to deal with that later. I actually have a thread in mind for that. I'll put it up tomorrow so look forward to it.

I'm sorry. But in all honesty I agree with the others that the idea of many, many universes branching from a massive number of different possibilities in of itself isn't 2-A. Rather a relatively high end of 2-B.

However if the name referring to this as infinite is reliable and can be accepted (which I can't judge whether or not it can) then I see no problems with 2-A.

If people agree the infinite description can be used, I have no problems with 2-A like I said.

Isn't Gates to Infinity just the name of the game?

And again, names are just names, I don't see why you're so focused on that. Things are just called things because they sound cool, unless you're gonna say Android Saga Vegeta is 3-A because he has a technique named Big Bang Attack.

Because it's clearly the authors intent to show infinite universes. Unlike the example you keep on bringing up, the result is the closest to the actual thing than anyone short of the FF characters have. Vegeta's Big Bang Attack has no way to imply that it would be 3-A, because it's not the author's intent to be 3-A. When it is the author's intent, the name supports it, and it's stupidly close to being that result, then there should be some credence. It's like if someone said that this was the "Portal to Infinite Worlds", they go though it a few trillion times, and then wind up at a previous one, we'd consider it to not be infinite, which would be false.

I'm inclined to agree with Ever on this.

There are a lot of characters we could upgrade with logic like this.

Zeref would be 3-A or High 3-A for having infinite magical energy.

Zeromus would be 3-A for having an attack named Big Bang despite it not resembling Big Bang.

Literally every attack named "light" would be lightspeed.

For the record, the original Japanese name for the game is, "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth".

There's no reference of there being an infinite number of worlds here.

Gates to infinity wouldn't even be a specification of number. The "to" clearly indicates that the infinity is an adverbial phrase of place (I think it is called that, not that good in english grammar) relating to gates, meaning that "infinity" is in the given structure the destination of the portal.

So yeah, no infinity here.

That aside I see nothing that suggests those things to be universes and not pocket spaces or even just the normal mystery dungeon structures situated at an unspecified place in the world.

Edit: Heck, they could be special mystery dungeons, given that mystery dungeons alerady randomize themself per principle, this might as well be just a special place with higher randomization, given that it is special one way or another.

If they just wanted to sound cool, then they would have it be as close to infinite as you can get. You can't program infinity in a game.

@Cal

If we're going by author intent, you should also take the original Japanese name into account:

"Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth"

Which implies a single structure that is virtually infinite in size rather than an infinite number of universes.

That I can take as an answer. Regardless, an upgrade to some number that I'll calculate later amount of universes is in order.

Well, gameplay wise, from what Cal stated, clearly tries to show you that there are infinite worlds, so that part is covered.

The name is there too.

The only thing missing would be an actual statement that they are in fact infinite and that would be it.

@Chris

The problem is the fact that there has to be some sort of statement or showing within the context of the story (not outside the context like game mechanics) that indicates that there are an infinite number of universes.

Otherwise I can make statements like, "There are an infinite number of people in Final Fantasy since everyone's stats and names are randomized."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back