• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possibly immortality type 5 and 8 for All Fiction and Damage transferal for Bookmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agnaa and YuriAkuto:

What should be done here?

We need to call one of our multilingual members (japanese) to translate that raw chapter. Then decide for Damage Transferal. The rest was disagreed on.

You can ask Shiro and Choco to help us out via their message walls.

I don't see why, it's large enough for even me to make it out. Here's the text:
具体的には

この過負荷の被害を
受けた者はみいーんな!
僕と完全に同じになる
過負荷 is the kanji Nisio uses for "Minus", the power system Kumagawa partakes in.

"僕と" was used instead of some kanji I can't identify because:
  • It seems like another case of Nisio using weird kanji when characters say something unrelated to give characterization.
  • No other word makes sense in the context of Medaka Box (the rest of the line says "Becomes perfectly identical to X", only "me" makes sense to replace X).
  • I could not find what kanji was meant to be there using a Japanese keyboard, so it really seems to be something non-standard.

Looking at it closely, I found out that it was simple enough for me to translate.

In particular.

The harm of this minus;
Everyone who receives it
Becomes perfectly identical to me

It uses the word "damage" (被害) in the second line quoted, in the context of "This minus' damage is..." it then goes on to explain that it makes the person hit exactly like Kumagawa. I don't think this is enough for damage transferral, but if you want to wait for Cholco's independent analysis, that's fair.

I think it's very likely to be how Agnaa translated it; it makes more sense in context and with what some translations say.

Agnaa's translation fits with the context and others official translation, so nobody thinks it would have give any kind of power here.

Can't say i truly trust Agnaa's japanese don't have enough experience with him in that regard. But it makes sense in context so im fine with it considering it's supported by other translations.

I translated it using my 3 years of Japanese classes in HS and a Japanese > English dictionary.

I'm fine with waiting for someone else to double-check if people think it's necessary, but I think that it so obviously doesn't mean damage transferal that I don't expect there to be any missed nuance in favor of damage transferal.

Translation request for the left-most speech bubble in the bottom-most panel here.

"Anyone who has been struck by my minus, all of them! Will just be like me completely."

It doesn't sound like a good argument for immortality, if that's what you're finding.

I don't think that's good evidence too if I can put my opinion into this thing. I read this part of the manga and it seems like this applies to stats and stuffs.

Well, seems like this thread is settled then.

Sorry for my ignorance, but, is Inmortality type 9 more effective than Inmortality type 8?.
Is a case by case, type 8 varies a lot too.

Type 9 means that there are more than 1 of you fighting, and the main one is somewhere (normally higher dimensions) behind the scenes, and for you to win you must find this true self and kill them.

It can vary from being a soul controlling bodies to a 5D Self aware idea creating avatars.

Type 8 means that as long as someone or something exists, so does you.

It can vary from a random girl to a concept (sometimes this includes abstract existence type 2)

It can also vary from you being unable to die to normal wounds, to being ressurected, to just regenerating instantly from wounds and erasure.

Thank you for helping out Shiroyasha. It is very appreciated.

I will close this thread then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back