• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible Touhou Upgrade

Promestein

Resurrection Lily
She/Her
VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
Patchoulli's spellcard, Sun Sign "Royal Flare", is said in ZUN's spellcard comments to cause solar flares.

"Undulating sun flares that burst from the center."

IIRC, solar flares are typically Continent level, judging by pages like Khar. If this is legitimate, quite a lot of characters would get upgraded based on this, considering how many are currently scaled from Patchouli.

Acording to wikipedia a solar flare usually requires 10^20 Joules of energy, which would be island level. Only the absolute high end would be continental.

Not from what I see. Island level is fodder tier already and I guess we don't use absolute high end.

Eh, it was worth bringing it up, at least, and it's another feat that supports Tier 6 Touhou in general.

Besides, spellcards are pretty casual and Royal Flare pretty much spams solar flares.

Doesn't it at least justify their tiers more? I think that at least helps more than nothing at all. @Promestein

Isn't your average Solar Flare require around 10+e22 Joules? Because all info (that I managed to find) pointed that 10+e20 J are minimal energy for such explosion while the maximum registered was 6x10+e25 J. The theoretical Super Flare of 775 year should be at least 10+e27 J and theoretical life wiper that our Sun can produce is estimated as powerful as 10+e30 J.

DontTalk said:
^the source wikipedia quotes is an article of the NASA.
Seems reliable to me.
That the minimal energy... For one second. And the article points only dispersion of registered flares: from 27 ergs/s to 32 ergs/s. Add here that solar flares last at least two-three minutes and your average durations several minutes while the longest a few hours.

The term used exactly is typically, which does not mean it is the low end, but the average.

And I don't think I have to mention it at this point, but when it comes to energy over time effects 1 second is used, except the timeframe is less than 1 second.

Back