• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan said:
I also want to point out that
Holding the Power Stone =/= Tanking the Power Stone's power

Ronan held the stone, yet got destroyed when blasted.
IIRC Ronan was able to just kinda pick it up with his fingers and place it in his hammer without any trouble. That's definitely an inconsistency when we consider that it took Star-Lord, an actual Celestial, still only held it for a minute at best.

So she's going to magically get hundreds of times weaker without it?

Just like Cap's 8-A with his shield, or BP's 7-A with claws yet 9-A physically. So yeah.

Cap's shield and BP's claws are made of vibranium, a nigh-indestructible metal that is exclusive to the Marvel verse, so of course it's going to have some super powerful feats. Meanwhile Gamora's sword isn't.

Even if her sword is the swordiest sword in the history of swords, she's not going to be able to harm someone with 8-A durability unless she has the strength to do so.

It turns out I was wrong about Ronan holding the power stone. He holds it and the purple energy does indeed surge through him.

However it doesn't change the feat. When the power stone touches something, it channels its energy through it; that's why it does what it does to humans, what it does to the planet in the flashback. It's the same thing; anything that touches it gets destroyed.

Besides, Ronan holding the power stone means he definitely scales to it. Him getting killed by the very power he posseses cannot be viewed as anything but PIS/inconsistency.

"Even if her sword is the swordiest sword in the history of swords, she's not going to be able to harm someone with 8-A durability unless she has the strength to do so."

That's like saying Cap's 8-A, and a shield isn't exactly sharpest. Fiction doesn't work like that.

Holding the Power Stone =/= Being blasted by the Power Stone

The Everlasting said:
"Sharpened weaponry" is an absolutely ridiculous concept to allow a 9-A to harm an 8-A.
Ok so 8-A Cap lol.

Also 7-A Loki for stabbing Kurse and High 6-B Valkyrie for impaling Hela.

This is ridiculous. This is fiction, not the real world.

>High 6-B Valkyrie for impaling Hela

This is inconsistent and you know it. It has nothing to do with sharpened weaponry.

@Ever

Valkyrie is High 6-B on her profile, but only with Dragonfang.

@Matt

You said earlier you didn't agree with 8-A. Would you like to elaborate on that?

It's inconsistent and you know it. You are trying to come up with an excuse to rank the character above the tier they actually are.

Dragonfang isn't even some enchanted blade. It's literally just a sword. Saying Valkyrie jumps so absurdly high just by wielding it is ridiculous and not a practice we do.

Matthew Schroeder said:
It's inconsistent and you know it. You are trying to come up with an excuse to rank the character above the tier they actually are.
If you're talking to Spinosaurus, he's actually arguing that Gamora should only be 8-A with her knife, not 8-A overall.

Now that I think about it, I really would like to know what makes Korath comparable to Loki.

ArbitraryNumbers said:
@Matt

You said earlier you didn't agree with 8-A. Would you like to elaborate on that?
Because it comes from scaling that goes a little something like this:

>Korath is Kree

>A Kree fights Sif in Agents of Shield

>Sif scales to Loki

>Loki is scaled from Iron Man

>Iron Man does 8-A feat

Except no Kree ever does anything remotely 8-A so I am comfortable in thinking it's an outlier specially since it comes from a TV Show the movies don't even acknowledge exist.

It's not a knife.

IIRC it's some Agents of SHIELD scaling, scaling Kree to Asgardians.

@Matthew Schroeder Gemmysaur said it impaled Hela in a Thor: Ragnarok thread, no one objected so I thought it was agreed on.

"a TV Show the movies don't even acknowledge exist."

To be fair that's because the movies are already well into production by the time the show develops plot points, plus Continuity Lockout is a thing.

IIRC the beginning of Age of Ultron actually follows a plot thread from AoS.

But yeah I don't agree with the scaling regardless.

"Sharp stuff cut things easier."

Not to this absolutely stupid extent.

Give a 9-B a sword and he won't suddenly stab a 7-C, because cutting/piercing doesn't take you remotely that far.

The Everlasting said:
Dragonfang isn't even some enchanted blade. It's literally just a sword. Saying Valkyrie jumps so absurdly high just by wielding it is ridiculous and not a practice we do.
I think he's arguing that Dragonfang is capable of harming High 6-B characters while Valyrie's other weapons can't. Not saying I agree with him but I'm sure he's not arguing that Dragonfang amplifies her strength or anything.

In real life? Yes you are right. In fiction? No.

And it's one showing only. If you somehow think Valkyrie being High 6-B with Dragonfang is inconsistency, this definitely is, though I don't think so.

"It's fiction it doesn't have to make sense" is the most hilarious non-argument ever. You can't use it to handwave blatant inconsistencies.

I don't understand the "it's fiction" argument either.

Fiction overall throws physics out the window, and yet we're still allowed to do calcs, scale striking strength to durability, etc.

Where do we draw the line as to what we can and cannot allow by virtue of a series being fictional?

I don't think he's arguing for upgrading Valkyrie or anyone else. I think he's just using counterexamples. Granted the examples he provides are inconsistencies, but I don't think he's inherently trying to upgrade anyone.

I already had most of the cast ranked as "At least 9-A, likely 8-A". He's arguing that the 8-A should only be allowed for Gamora's weapon, and thus shouldn't scale to Star-Lord and the others physically.

Granted it seems we'll be dropping 8-A anyways but you guys seem to be misinterpreting his argument.

"It's fiction" can be used for things which are impossible in the real world but happen in fiction. Basic example of this would be a superhero flying and lifting a building by holding a tiny part of it on the bottom.

It cannot be used by things which simply do not make sense on a structural level.

I will check for calcs.

Ronan survived a 3-mile long explosion which is Large Town level. I do not know who calced it to be 3 miles long, but it was on his profile all along, but listed as "Multi-City Block level". Since a 3-mile explosion is Large Town level, I changed it to Large Town level some time ago.

Asgardian weapons are typically enhanced in some way. No normal weapons leave angry red marks that look like they cauterized what they cut. Don't see a reason why Valk's is any different.

I completely agree with Gemmysaur. Valkyrie should be High 6-B with Dragonfang.

@The Everlasting IIRC some other weaponry leave red marks too. Like when Loki cut Thor's arm off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back