• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible Dragon Quest Revisions (Translations Requested).

FanofRPGs

VS Battles
Retired
So thanks to the people from Woodus I found this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVfRRqWWa6o

Now, this has lore and descriptions for all monsters, and there is a possibility some might have feats which will help the stats for Dragon Quest, I have compiled pictures that might have feats in this folder here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B73j4cBXUYRNc3p3QW55YVY0Yzg

There are a lot of scans, but if these were to translated, there might be scans that will help with the stats for Dragon Quest drastically.

Make the document public. I don't know anything about Dragon Quest though.

Highlighted thread because this is important.

First off: Are there any staff members who know about Dragon Quest (either you're knowledgeable abou Dragon Quest or at least know a good deal about it)? I understand the series has limited releases in the West. Peach-chan is willing to translate as much she is able to (which may not be much) and Yumi-tan (Dragon Quest extraordinaire) has played all these games but she is very limited in English (it's why I never bothered her about this).

That being said: I'd strongly appreciate it if a staff member can help Fan and Yeul organize this verse (a lot of this stuff has been requested by Fan for the longest time now. We can't ignore it any longer).

So again, anyone who is able to help organize this, it'd be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I'm not sure if Tsubaki can translate at this time (very busy private schedule) and she's the only professional.

I'll let them decide how they want to go about this, like Sera, I'm not knowledgeable enough on the series so even if I skimmed through it, I can easily misread a feat because context is important.

@Ven

I've played Dragon Quest IX and a couple of spin-offs, but I can't really call myself knowledgeable.

I'll do my best to help make sense of this since I can read Hiragana and Katakana now, but the vast majority of Kanji is way out of my league at the moment (and I saw a lot of Kanji in the video)

Most appreciated Repp. Wait...it's a video? I thought he had screenshots o_O

I'll help with Kanji. I just can't spend time translating entire texts at the moment. A lot is going on for me right now.

@Ven

First link is a video of the game's bestiary. The second link is the Google Docs.

I'll admit that I don't know a whole lot of words either, so I'll be consulting Romaji to English dictionaries a lot, but once I get back from my trip I'll see what I can do.

Yumi-tan said:
Are pages bad?
No, our pages are good, it is just that a huge portion of Dragon Quest content is Japanese, so it is hard to find and understand. From what I have collected, Dragon Quest is consistent, but DQX might either give them more feats or anti feats and it has LOTS of monsters and lore which might change it. The only three other games as relevant are DQIX, which we know, and Dragon Quest Monsters 2 3D/Joker 3, which I cannot find a complete list of entriez for.

The ones that require help will be Dragon Quest Heroes (I don't have a PS4 nor plan on getting one), Dragon Quest X (Only in Japan), possibly Dragon Quest XI when it comes out (Might not come to America), Dragon Quest Monsters 2 3D (Japan only), and Monsters Joker 3 (Ditto). For my birthday I might get Dragon Quest VII or VIII or hopefully both, so there will be profiles for them.

Follow Doctor Freeman said:
Hey, Fan, good to see you again! I have Dragon Quest VIII (PS2 version) so if this is an essential task I can help. Also, I could help you emulate VII and some other games you need. Oh, and here are some translation resources, if this helps.
Okay, that will help. I plan on getting either DQVII or VIII for 3DS, possibly both if there is nothing on the steam summer sale I like. Could you see if VII has 6-A feats? It is connected to the Zenithian saga so that would make it consistent.

i was asked for input but i don't know much about the verse..so... just know i did check the thread yours sincerely ~shadow senpai

I do not know anything about Dragon Quest. Sorry. However, I would appreciate more staff input.

If a thing just says "they are scary" or "wanted to rule the world" they should be ignored, but if they say, "They scare X, they are stronger than X, they can destroy X, they were made to fight X, they are as strong as X, or they have X ability" then they should be the ones focused on. The problem I am having is that usually I use Google Image Translate to see if the image has any meaning or worth, then have a professional translate it correctly, but this time the translator will not load up all the symbols for some reason. So IDK what scans at all are relevant?

Problem is that these scans are very low quality, let me see if I can retake them somehow and then do it

I think the best option is to have people who know Japanese like see the video at 1.5x speed or something, and skim through the video to see the statements and pause and take specific entries. Though it will need japanese speaking people, and IDK if Sera and Ven would be willing to do so as it is very time consuming.

@Fan

I don't know a whole lot of words, but as I said before I can try reading through the Hiragana and Katakana while consulting Ven and Sera for the Kanji related components.

There's a website called "Romajidesu", where you can type in the sounds in English to get Hiragana and Katakana to punch into Google Translate.

I only have a week left in Japan, so I'll try to get to this after my classes are over and between writing my cultural research paper.

Reppuzan said:
@Fan
I don't know a whole lot of words, but as I said before I can try reading through the Hiragana and Katakana while consulting Ven and Sera for the Kanji related components.

There's a website called "Romajidesu", where you can type in the sounds in English to get Hiragana and Katakana to punch into Google Translate.

I only have a week left in Japan, so I'll try to get to this after my classes are over and between writing my cultural research paper.
Okay

I made a list of key words that you could look for when viewing through the scans

µ£ê | ÒüñÒüì | Moo
Õñ¬ÚÖ░ | ÒüƒÒüäÒüäÒéô | Moo
µÿƒ | Òü╗Òüù | Star/Planet
µâæµÿƒ | ÒéÅÒüÅÒüøÒüä | Planet
Úèǵ▓│ | ÒüÄÒéôÒüî | Galaxy
µÖéþ®║ | ÒüÿÒüÅÒüå | Time and Space
µÖéþ®║Úûô | ÒüÿÒüÅÒüåÒüïÒéô | Spacetime
µÖéÚûô | ÒüÿÒüïÒéô | Time
µÖé | Òü¿Òüì | Time
Ú¡öÕèø | Òü¥ÒéèÒéçÒüÅ | Magical Power
Õñ®þ®║ | ÒüªÒéôÒüÅÒüå | Heave
þÑ× | ÒüïÒü┐ | God
µ¼íÕàâ | ÒüÿÒüÆÒéô | dimension
õ©ûþòî | ÒüøÒüïÒüä | World
Õ«çÕ«Ö | ÒüåÒüíÒéàÒüå | Universe
þá┤Õúè | Òü»ÒüïÒüä | Destroy/Destruction
ÞÂàÒüêÒéï | ÒüôÒüêÒéï | Transcend

Peach-chan said:
What are we looking for here?
The video is quite long, so maybe you could increase the speed and look through it while listening to background music or something? If you are busy, you could just look at the scans in the folder, though it might miss things. I am looking for scans that either say something like "He is as strong as X character, he can destroy X thing, he trandscends X thing, he was made to fight X thing, or he scares X thing." That would narrow it down.

@Peach-chan

To put it more succinctly, we're looking for any statements that could be used as reasonably useful feats or for use in scaling to other monsters and/or characters.

Back