• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possibility of allowing fan-made canon characters back on FC/OC Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrossverseCrisis

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
Continued off from here.

Alright so it seems as though several people have agreed to what rules that me, Steve, and Prom have made up. Of course to those who have not commented yet on the first thread, you can still go there as this is a thread i presume we can simutaniously do.

Now Part 2 of this is thread a bit different from Part 1. Whereas the first thread is about laying the rules out for making these kinds of characters, this one is more of what people's thoughts are when making these kinds of characters and what are the pros and cons of having them here.

For here, this is so that i can weigh in my personal opinion even more by looking at what the positives and negatives are for allowing these kinds of cahracters here.

So......anyone have anything they want to put them out on the comments here?

Welp in terms of pros, there's the added variety a well crafted fan-made canon characters can bring to the table. There's plenty of good fanfics built upon pre-existing verses, and many of those have alternate versions of canon characters who've experienced vastly different situations, encounters, relationships, and of course battles- Which in a sense can make them stand out from their canon counterparts. So I guess what I'm trying to say here is; A well crafted fan-made character can be just as good as any Fan characters or Original characters, as long as the creators of said characters put a good amount of time into creating the profiles while also following the rules you guys have set.

As for the negatives:

There's the inevitability that someone will come along and make a pretty bad profile (Examples being the endless overpowered for the sake of being overpowered versions of characters like Goku, Naruto, Ichigo, Natsu, etc) but we've already discussed this on part 1.

And another negative, at least for me, would be the constant threat of an all around banning of said characters. I mean think of it like this; I follow all the rules and make a pretty solid profile for my fanon character, then some group of dbz wankers come along and make a bunch of bad profiles with poorly explained versions of Goku who are all tier 0 for whatever reason, and then BOOM everyone gets punished by every fan-made canon character being banned, including my hypothetical well built profile. It would just be kinda of unfair on those who took their time to make a good looking profile now wouldn't it?

That's basically why I'm kinda of discouraged to make profiles of alternate versions of pre-existing characters even if they were to be allowed again. But I dunno, there's still a lot to be said on this topic and this is just one opinion.

@Dantvs:

For the pros? Very good. I can see them being alright to have. Thing is of course this has to be one's own version of an existing canon character. A well-made fan canon character could potentially be just as good as original and fan characters, perhaps.

For cons? Well you pointed out that maybe we can at least just delete the ones that were poorly made and such. At least for here, we can then jsut block them if they keep making them.

So yeah the only downside is someone coming here and mkaing overpowered versions of canon characters for the sake of being OP. So yeah, this is at least one thing that we have to look out for.

I mean for Tier 1 versions of characters like Goku and some others, i would actually not have a problem with this SO LONG as one has proper reasoning and background for the tier and why this version is this strong.

So basically, the fan-made canon character has even tighter restrictions when it comes to that part.

I don't really have anything to say that hasn't been said.

Okay. Do you at least agree that we just take out the ones that are of poor quality like he pointed out, hmm?

Another pro I would like to mention: Fanfiction version of characters from stories on FF.net can also be listed. That means there is potential for a LOT of new , good quality character profiles, especially for stories of some popular fanfiction authors (e.g.: Kenchi618).

Hmm. Actually now that we have of this, i wonder if it's alright to reconsider the possiblity of making pages of fan-made canon characters made by other people.

Wait no then again, we'd have a shit ton of them if that were the case. Hmm...

Hmm...perhaps ask for the FF author's permission before creating profiles for their respective FF-Verse?

Ooooo, that's going to be a lot of work for that to happen. I presume so but for now, we can just focus on only creating fan-made canon characters made from ourselves atm...

CrossverseCrisis said:
Ooooo, that's going to be a lot of work for that to happen. I presume so but for now, we can just focus on only creating fan-made canon characters made from ourselves atm...
Well, I mean, I'd have no problem maybe transplanting some characters from FF to here if anybody else dosen't want to take the time.

As for pros and cons, here's how I see it.

Pros: For one thing, this will almost definitely attract plenty of new users and at least some of them will be reliable, trustworthy, high-quality writers. Second, this opens the door for plenty of good pages, much like Dant mentioned earlier. Second, I would like to note that one of his cons to allowing it would be the capacity for it to be no longer allowed.

Cons: Mostly what Dant said. He covered it pretty well. But I would like to also mention that this opens the door for a lot of problems if, like Cross and Kavpeny said before, someone were to take pre-made characters from FF.net or something without asking because, chances are, the writer on FF has never and will never hear of FC/OC. However, if they ever did hear of their character being stolen, the shit could hit the fan pretty fast.

I believe we should set standards for comparison between fanon characters, such as if there manarisms, characteristics, appearence, etc.. are to close to any original character from the series. This would also apply to seperate versions of the same character.

@Steve and Kavpeny: Actually i think it's possible that we can also create profiles of other peoples fan-made canon characters by doing what we did with this here: Credit them. Though if we do end up into some sort of trouble should the creator of the fan-made canon character finds this out and is not happy even if we credit them, then we'll have to take that out.

@Abbadon: Well that was kind of talked on in the first thread but yes, we do plan to also cover that once we settle on how this will work.

That's good. In fact, we can list the origin as the author's fanfic, eg:

Summary: ...(description)...

(last line of summary) This is a fanfiction version of the character, written by Kenchi618.

...(other page details)...

Name: Naruto Uzumaki

Origin: Naruto (FanFiction) - The Sealed Kunai (author: Kenchi618)

...(rest of the page)...

To avoid possible bad blood, it would be best to inform the author when creating a profile via a review.

Pretty much what i had in mind, Kavpeny.

Though i wonder if this should be applied to like the Grim Jr. page as it's kind of hard to contact people like Grim Jr.'s creator and such.

But i suppose reviewing with them is a wise choice still.

Bump i guess...

Anyways, few things here from me:

So i have come to really liking the idea of not minding having people make pages of their own version of an existing canon character. Of course as with the first part (i.e thread) of this matter, i am expecting several things such as:

-Creation of the fan made canon character by yourself and not anyone's (though i may change my mind about this but for know, let's take a fresh start by just going this way instead and i'll think of it depending how well this goes),

-Clear and well written explanation and background story about why this character is of this tier (meaning if one wanted to make Luffy Star level......somehow, via Steve's example from the first thread, he or she has to make a proper story as to why this Luffy is Star level. This applies to pretty much every other canon character so whatever you do, make sure you know what your doing when going along this direction),

-Following the rules that me, Prom, and Steve have set up over at the first thread. As long as y'all follow them at all times whenever you do decide to make these kinds of characters, you are A-okay to making them.

Now there are some things i would have said but this is what i have come to say here for the moment.

Given that everyone has agreed and are fine with what's been said here about pros and cons (which while short as it may be, we do have at least gotten what the risks are yet what good things this could potentially bring), are there any last words about this before i close this for the matter?

Last words: IMO, the rules pages should be revised, and split into two:

• Rules for creation of Original Character profiles (a.k.a., rename current rules page to this).
  • Rules for creation of FanFiction Character profiles (a.k.a., new page, with the rules set by you, Promestein, and Steve).
That way, anyone can easily reference the respective rules for FF characters, without having to scrounge through the forums again-and-again.

As for cons, the elephant in the room is definitely the possibility of an influx of rediculously OP "original" characters like the Goku clones you guys were purging right when I got here. But given that we will be examining the pages on a case-to-case basis, I don't think we have to worry about that too much.

So yeah, what Kav said, and I think that's about it.

I'm liking how this is going down. I mean, this change has been in the workings for like a month, but everything seems to have gone so smoothly.

@Lord Kavpeny: Hmm. I guess Original Characters can be renamed given that technically they also apply to original characters made for canon verse's, like my Kenji OC here.

Alright, will do man.

@Steve: Yeah i'm actually getting around this idea. I mean rather than just stop this all together, we could just delete the very poorly made ones and just leave the ones that people have made well and A-okay.

It came to me that it might possibly be a good idea to place a tier limit on fanfiction characters, so that they can't be High 1-A or higher. This seems like a pretty easy solution to keeping off super OP clones of canon characters, and it's not like there are many High 1-As in fiction anyway.

Kind of what i had in mind but yes, that too Steve.

Well for my exception, unless that existing fan character is of that tier for a story of theres, they can be made tier 1 but of course, we're not going to allow it and therefore only allow them to place them at a certain limit....

Another thing i'd like to add is just as i said, there should be a limit where if someone wanted to have say Goku be stronger than the strongest (who is Zeno), then they can have him as 3-A, likely 2-C or whatever (but given that DBS is a long way from ending as it's still not that long when it started), that would definitely have to wait a bit.

Basically, some kind "in-canon" power limit is what i'm trying to say here.

Anyways i'm pretty sure i got everything understood about the pros and cons of this matter and given what's being said now, i'll close this.

Since we're technically making up even more new rules for these kinds of characters, head over back to the first thread of this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back