• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokémon Intelligence: Gotta stupefy 'em all

Bulbasaur line, Venusaur:
Red
Blue
The plant blooms when it is absorbing solar energy. It stays on the move to seek sunlight.
Charmander:
It may be notable that Charmander has entries relating to how its tail-flame shows its emotions, but I'm not sure how your emotions are displayed is entirely relevant to intelligence.
YellowTough fights could excite this POKéMON. When excited, it may blow out bluish-white flames.
GoldIt is very hotheaded by nature, so it constantly seeks opponents. It calms down only when it wins.
SilverIt has a barbaric nature. In battle, it whips its fiery tail around and slashes away with sharp claws.
CrystalIf it becomes agitated during battle, it spouts intense flames, incinerating its surroundings.
Ruby
Sapphire
CHARMELEON mercilessly destroys its foes using its sharp claws. If it encounters a strong foe, it turns aggressive. In this excited state, the flame at the tip of its tail flares with a bluish white color.
FireRedIt lashes about with its tail to knock down its foe. It then tears up the fallen opponent with sharp claws.
LeafGreenWhen it swings its burning tail, it elevates the air temperature to unbearably high levels.

Charmeleon gets excited by tough battles, & turns aggressive if it encounters a strong foe. Its nature is described as "hotheaded" & "barbaric", constantly seeking opponents & calming down only when it wins, & destroying its foes with its claws mercilessly/without pity.
It is also described as lashing with its tail to knock down its foes, then tearing up the fallen opponent with its claws.
Red
Blue
Spits fire that is hot enough to melt boulders. Known to cause forest fires unintentionally.
CrystalIt uses its wings to fly high. The temperature of its fire increases as it gains experience in battle.
Ruby
Sapphire
CHARIZARD flies around the sky in search of powerful opponents. It breathes fire of such great heat that it melts anything. However, it never turns its fiery breath on any opponent weaker than itself.

Unintentionally causes forest fires. Seeks out powerful opponents, & never turns its fire breath on opponents weaker than itself; May be especially notable for intelligence because Charizard's fire apparetly becomes hotter if it's experienced harsh battles, so it's to its benefit to seek out strong opponents.

YellowShoots water at prey while in the water. Withdraws into its shell when in danger.
SilverThe shell, which hardens soon after it is born, is resilient. If you poke it, it will bounce back out.
CrystalWhen it feels threatened, it draws its legs inside its shell and sprays water from its mouth.
FireRedWhen it retracts its long neck into its shell, it squirts out water with vigorous force.
Diamond
Pearl
Platinum
It shelters itself in its shell, then strikes back with spouts of water at every opportunity.

I'm not sure what is meant by "If you poke it, it will bounce back out."; Do they mean Squirtle will emerge from the shell if you poke it while it's withdrawn?
Anyway, Squirtle clearly withdraws into its shell when in danger, & then "strikes back with spouts of water at every opportunity.", seemingly mostly spraying water from its mouth.

Red
Blue
Often hides in water to stalk unwary prey. For swimming fast, it moves its ears to maintain balance.
YellowWhen tapped, this POKéMON will pull in its head, but its tail will still stick out a little bit.
SilverIt cleverly controls its furry ears and tail to maintain its balance while swimming.
FireRedThis POKéMON is very popular as a pet. Its fur-covered tail is a symbol of its longevity.

Hides in water to stalk unwary prey. Doesn't fully conceal its tail when withdrawing into its shell. "Cleverly"(???) uses its "furry ears and tail" to maintain balance while swimming. Popular as a pet.

YellowOnce it takes aim at its enemy, it blasts out water with even more force than a fire hose.
GoldIt deliberately makes itself heavy so it can withstand the recoil of the water jets it fires.
CrystalIt firmly plants its feet on the ground before shooting water from the jets on its back.
Ruby
Sapphire
BLASTOISE has water spouts that protrude from its shell. The water spouts are very accurate. They can shoot bullets of water with enough accuracy to strike empty cans from a distance of over 160 feet.
FireRedIt crushes its foe under its heavy body to cause fainting. In a pinch, it will withdraw inside its shell.

Takes aim, then forcefully fires water. "Deliberately makes itself heavy" (&/or firmly plants its feet on the ground?) then fires, so as to withstand recoil. Crushes foes under its heavy body to cause fainting. & withdraws inside its shell in a pinch.
I dunno what they're going on about, describing Blastoise as making itself heavy or being heavy, since it's only 85.5 kg. Does it have some kind of undocumented Density Manipulation???

Just a brief look through of the Kanto Starters lines for now. How's that for... for starters (Sorry, lol.) for now?

I have some skill feats for starter pokemon

Decidueye "It fires arrow quills from its wings with such precision, they can pierce a pebble at distances over a hundred yards." which proves his extreme skill level in terms of arrow shooting, we've got Sceptile "The leaves that grow on its arms can slice down thick trees. It is without peer in jungle combat."
We have greninja "It appears and vanishes with a ninja's grace. It toys with its enemies using swift movements, while slicing them with throwing stars of sharpest water." "...Greninja's swift movements confound its opponents, and it can compress water into sharp-edged throwing stars." "With the grace of a ninja, it slips in and out of sight to attack from the shadows."
Emboar "It has mastered fast and powerful fighting moves. It grows a beard of fire."
Dewott "As a result of strict training, each Dewott learns different forms for using the scalchops."
Servine "They avoid attacks by sinking into the shadows of thick foliage. They retaliate with masterful whipping techniques."
Inteleon "Its nictitating membranes let it pick out foes' weak points so it can precisely blast them with water that shoots from its fingertips at Mach 3."
G-max "It has excellent sniping skills. Shooting a berry rolling along over nine miles away is a piece of cake for this Pokémon."

Many starters seem to have mastered many skills and can use enviroments to an advantage to the point of being unmatched in them

One thing i wanna talk about is Psychic types.
It seems that the intelligence of a brain is directly linked to a pokemon's psychic capabilities.
An example being reuiniclus "When Reuniclus shake hands, a network forms between their brains, increasing their psychic power."
Another example is Metagross who's psychic and physical power increases due to the increase in the amount of brains it has (Metagross is smarter than a supercomputer via two metangs fusing themselves and thus making Metagross have 4 brains)

We clearly see that the more intelligent a pokemon is the more powerful it is, the most powerful non-legendary psychic pokemon being Alakazam and Metagross.

What i want to suggest is, due to the nature of psychic types needing massive brain power and intelligence to use their abilities, i'd like to make non-evolved ones normal intelligence "Average" as the minimum and later evolutions at "above average" and more depending on their abilities. Skills are a different matter and would either be on the same level as their intelligence or would scale to the minimum.

One thing i wanna talk about is Psychic types.
It seems that the intelligence of a brain is directly linked to a pokemon's psychic capabilities.
An example being reuiniclus "When Reuniclus shake hands, a network forms between their brains, increasing their psychic power."
Another example is Metagross who's psychic and physical power increases due to the increase in the amount of brains it has (Metagross is smarter than a supercomputer via two metangs fusing themselves and thus making Metagross have 4 brains)

We clearly see that the more intelligent a pokemon is the more powerful it is, the most powerful non-legendary psychic pokemon being Alakazam and Metagross.

What i want to suggest is, due to the nature of psychic types needing massive brain power and intelligence to use their abilities, i'd like to make non-evolved ones normal intelligence "Average" as the minimum and later evolutions at "above average" and more depending on their abilities. Skills are a different matter and would either be on the same level as their intelligence or would scale to the minimum.
I don't agree, Pokèmon like Slowbro, Wobbuffer and Psyduck (not a Psychic type but has notable psychic powers) are really strong but fairly unintelligent, and others like Hisuan Braviary or Starmie still seem to be not much smarter than other Pokèmon.

I don't agree, Pokèmon like Slowbro, Wobbuffer and Psyduck (not a Psychic type but has notable psychic powers) are really strong but fairly unintelligent, and others like Hisuan Braviary or Starmie still seem to be not much smarter than other Pokèmon.
hmm i guess so. Maybe if there's a certain specification on their brain activities being superior we could give them higher intelligence? Like duosion and reuniclus for example

Back