• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pacific Rim Speed Upgrades

LordXcano

VS Battles
Retired
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:LordXcano/Knifehead's_Swimming_Speed

Knifehead is listed as a "6" in speed in the guidebooks. Going by this the Kaiju and Jaegers that should scale to this feat are:

Now if you're wondering what those numbers are, those are what's listed in the guidebook for their speed. If we use just that everyone with a 6 would scale to the feat (so basically just Knifehead) and everyone else would get "at least" put before their speed.

Now, if we assume it's a linear scale (which there's no evidence for AFAIK, so take this with a grain of salt) the speeds would be:

• Knifehead - 69.97 m/s to Mach 2.36
  • Trespasser & Gypsy Danger - 81.62 m/s to Mach 2.75
  • Crimson Typhoon & Otachi - 104.94 m/s to Mach 3.55
  • Striker Eureka & Raiju - 116.6 m/s to Mach 3.94
  • Slattern - At least 116.6 m/s to Mach 3.94
Now, of course, this doesn't include people with speed stats lower than 6, which would give us:

• Cherno Alpha (3) - 34.98 m/s to Mach 1.18
  • Onibaba (4) - 46.64 m/s to Mach 1.58
  • Leatherback & Scunner (5) - 58.3 m/s to Mach 1.97

Just wondering if the speed stats listed in the said chart is increasing linearly, or if increases on a logarithmic scale?

If there are no other speed feats for the Kaiju in general other than the Knifehead feat, we can use this chart as a reference for speed. As for what this means...

Cherno Alpha, Onibaba:

Leatherback, Scunner, and Knifehead:

• Speed: At least Supersonic
Trespasser, Gypsy, Crimson, Otachi:

Striker Eureka, Raiju, and Slattern:

• Speed: At least Supersonic+
However, it would be cool if we could find combat speed feats for those guys instead of travel speed feats however.

Jaeger, while they can be fluid, are pretty lacking in combat speed feats due to their very "tanky" design. A quick scan through the Gypsy Danger respect thread though nets me just two combat speed feats.

Just a reference from the above post that I made. If we are using the low end of the speed calculation, this means that every Kaiju and Jaeger will have their speed downgraded to Subsonic.

Perhaps a calculation of those two two feats would determine their combat speeds, and it would be a much better gauge of their speed rating compared to a couple of statements that could potentially have been misread by the radar/people on the boat.

Considering that Pacific Rim seems to follow the laws of physics (no magic cough*) most of the time during the movie, would it be allowed to find the Jaegers/Kaiju combat speed based on the speed of Leatherback throwing Gypsy Danger over a great distance?

I don't see why not. I think you could divide the timeframe Gypsy was in the air by 2 to get the height it was thrown based on its free-fall and go from there. Not sure on that though I don't know much about projectile motion.

Back