• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
So the last thread relating to Pacific Rim downgraded the high tiers from 7-B to Low 7-B. However, I have found evidence that they should scale higher than this.

In Pacific Rim: Uprising (yes, that movie does exist unfortunately) the kaiju Crabcakes is capable of briefly resisting a beam that can open a Breach which an accepted calculation showed to be about 4.1333676e+19 joules or 9.87898565966 gigatons of tnt (6-C, Island level). Crabcakes is stated by Steven S Deknight (director of Pacific Rim Uprising) to be either a Category 4 or 5 kaiju (According to the official board game Breachfall however, he is a Category 2 kaiju called Tyron). This is consistent with this accepted calc showing that Slattern tanked 2.464 Gigatons (Large Mountain level) from the nuke at the end of the first movie. Whilst the nuke is said to be 1.2Mt in the movie and that was agreed last thread, what wasn’t taken into account was two factors. Firstly, the bomb detonated over the Breach, which is stated to be radioactive by the official novel Pacific rim uprising ascension and the official Uprising artbook. Whilst Raleigh’s death has since been retconned, I think it’s fair to say that the writers of the movies considered the Breach to be radioactive, otherwise they could’ve just said that Raleigh died in a training accident or was assassinated by Newt. Secondly, the last thread failed to account for the fact that apparently a kilogram in Pacific Rim is defined as the mass of 1 litre of osmium (or 22.5kg in our world). This is backed up by a statement from Guillermo Del Toro that 1 ton in Pacific Rim is equal to 30 tons (translation) in our world (thanks to @Neutralino for finding that). This would make the yield of the bomb 27-36 Megatons of TNT (City Level) and that’s without even accounting for the Breach’s radioactivity.
Therefore, I am proposing that Category 5+ kaiju (e.g. Slattern, Mega-Kaiju) and all who scale to them (e.g. Gipsy Avenger, Striker Eureka’s swords, Gipsy Danger’s swords and Striker’s self destruction when detonated above the Breach) should be buffed to 6-C by scaling off of Crabcakes. Both Striker Eureka’s normal self destruction (not the one in the movie as that occurred over the radioactive breach, likely making it more energetic) and Gipsy Danger’s self destruction should be around 27-36 megatons of TNT (City level) by scaling to 22.5-30 times the 1.2 megatons stated in the film (due to the previously stated Pacific Rim mass rules).
Edit: It’s been agreed that only Post-Uprising kaiju should scale to the 6-C calc (only what Crabcakes took, not the energy per second) as Uprising kaiju are stated to be superior to PR1 kaiju. Additionally, in Pacific Rim: The Black whilst Apex can kill Slatterns, he ends up being mortally wounded by Boy, who was previously defeated by the Category IV Copperhead. The Pacific Rim 1 high tiers scale to the nuke which is either 7-B or High 7-A. The radioactivity of the Breach would likely have no effect on the yield of the bomb but the yield of the nuke may have been underestimated in universe like Castle Bravo, possibly explaining why the explosion was so much bigger than it should’ve been. If that’s not agreed with though, the bomb would still be 7-B due to above reasoning. Current proposals are
Striker Eureka’s self-destruction and all who scale to him: 7-B/High 7-A (Gipsy Danger (nuclear vortex, swords and self-destruction), Striker Eureka (Sting Blades and self-destruction) and Slattern)
Uprising era Jaegers and Kaiju: 6-C (Mega-Kaiju, Raijin, Shrikethorn, Hakuja, Gipsy Avenger, Obsidian Fury, Saber Athena, Bracer Phoenix, Guardian Bravo, Drone Jaegers, Atlas Destroyer, Striker Berserker, Hunter Vertigo, Apex, Acidquill, Trespasser “Lucy”, Bonespur, Boy (kaiju form), Hybrid Kaiju, Copperhead, Breacher etc)
All Pacific Rim Category IVs and below stay where they are and so do the Jaegers who scale to them.
Edit 2: The Travis Beacham tweet is fake, it actually says this so I think we should only use the Guillermo Del Toro value

Agree: @DarkDragonMedeus @AbaddonTheDisappointment
Disagree:
Neutral:

Last edited:
Wasn't the Kaiju just cleaved by the beams tho? Besides the breach closing, the beams cleaved straight through it. Also, there wasn't just one beam, but multiple (3 or 4) doing the work of opening a breach. Might have to split the final yield

Last edited:
Wasn't the Kaiju just cleaved by the beams tho? Besides the breach closing, the beams cleaved straight through it. Also, there wasn't just one beam, but multiple (3 or 4) doing the work of opening a breach. Might have to split the final yield
Calc takes that into account. Crabcakes took one beam for around 0.12 seconds before being harmed. Beam itself is 82.3248804971 gigatons of tnt per second (6-C, Island level+).

Last edited:
Why would the breach's radioactivity affect the yield of the nuke?
The bomb likely triggered a chain reaction with the Breach’s radioactive material, causing a larger explosion than would’ve occurred had the nuke detonated in normal circumstances. The nuke was likely just a catalyst for the whole explosion. As why I’ve proposed that Striker’s self-destruction should be “7-B, 6-C when detonated over the Breach”
The proposals seem good.

Since this is an obscure verse, you only need one staff approval, Iirc.
Thanks. Should I make the changes in 48 hrs then?

Last edited:
The bomb likely triggered a chain reaction with the Breach’s radioactive material, causing a larger explosion than would’ve occurred had the nuke detonated in normal circumstances. The nuke was likely just a catalyst for the whole explosion. As why I’ve proposed that Striker’s self-destruction should be “7-B, 6-C when detonated over the Breach”
That's not how nuclear explosives work unfortunately. I cant offer a full explanation at the moment but I disagree with the 6-C scaling as of now. When I get the chance I'd like to give my full input.

That's not how nuclear explosives work unfortunately. I cant offer a full explanation at the moment but I disagree with the 6-C scaling as of now. When I get the chance I'd like to give my full input.
You’re right, I was thinking of fission. I thought it’d be the same for a fusion bomb. If it was a fission bomb it could’ve started a chain reaction, but I get the feeling that it’s a fusion bomb since most nuclear weapons now are mostly fusion. Nuclear yields have been underestimated before though such as Castle Bravo and the explosion is much bigger in the movie than it should be irl so either it must’ve been affected by something (such as the Breach but that might not be true since fusion bombs can’t cause chain reactions with fissile material as you’ve said) or underestimated like Castle Bravo was irl. But that’s merely a supporting feat for Crabcakes surviving a drone chest cannon (which can open a Breach, requiring more energy than humanity has used in 100 years) for 0.12 seconds.

Last edited:
You’re right, I was thinking of fission. I thought it’d be the same for a fusion bomb. If it was a fission bomb it could’ve started a chain reaction, but I get the feeling that it’s a fusion bomb since most nuclear weapons now are mostly fusion. Nuclear yields have been underestimated before though such as Castle Bravo and the explosion is much bigger in the movie than it should be irl so either it must’ve been affected by something (such as the Breach but that might not be true since fusion bombs can’t cause chain reactions with fissile material as you’ve said) or underestimated like Castle Bravo was irl. But that’s merely a supporting feat for Crabcakes surviving a drone chest cannon (which can open a Breach, requiring more energy than humanity has used in 100 years) for 0.12 seconds.
I don't know. The beam cut him pretty much instantly and the value that your trying to scale category 4s and 5s to is thousands of times stronger than the 7-B nuke Slatturn tanked which visibly injured him to a noticeable degree and killed Scunner. I'd be more partial to a 7-B, possibly 6-C for the time being. Or alternatively, I believe it was mentioned that the Kaiju's in Uprising were stronger than they were before similarly to the Jaegers. If that's the case I could see the 6-C value scaling fully but only to Uprising Kaiju's and Jaegers.

I don't know. The beam cut him pretty much instantly and the value that your trying to scale category 4s and 5s to is thousands of times stronger than the 7-B nuke Slatturn tanked which visibly injured him to a noticeable degree and killed Scunner. I'd be more partial to a 7-B, possibly 6-C for the time being. Or alternatively, I believe it was mentioned that the Kaiju's in Uprising were stronger than they were before similarly to the Jaegers. If that's the case I could see the 6-C value scaling fully but only to Uprising Kaiju's and Jaegers.
I mean the explosion’s still High 7-A. It should’ve been 7-B but it ended up being far bigger than a double digit megaton explosion would be in the Mariana’s trench. Whether the Breach had an effect like I was suggesting or the yield was just underestimated by the PPDC (or most likely the writers overestimating the power of a 27-36 megaton bomb) we don’t know but we do know that the explosion should’ve been smaller had it been as big as they said. So I believe Slattern’s not that far off. But I think you’re right about Uprising kaiju being more powerful as several articles mention how they are superior to the PR1 kaiju. Also in Pacific Rim: The Black, Apex can kill Slatterns but he ends up being mortally wounded by Boy, who is inferior to Copperhead (who is only a Cat IV).
So maybe it should instead be:
Striker Eureka’s self-destruction and all who scale to him: 7-B/High 7-A (Gipsy Danger (swords and self-destruction), Striker Eureka (Sting Blades and self-destruction)
Uprising era Jaegers and Kaiju: 6-C (Mega-Kaiju, Raijin, Shrikethorn, Hakuja, Gipsy Avenger, Obsidian Fury, Saber Athena, Bracer Phoenix, Guardian Bravo, Drone Jaegers, Atlas Destroyer, Striker Berserker, Hunter Vertigo, Apex, Acidquill, Kaiju Eel, Bonespur, Boy (kaiju form), Hybrid Kaiju, Copperhead, Breacher etc)

Last edited:
I mean the explosion’s still High 7-A. It should’ve been 7-B but it ended up being far bigger than a double digit megaton explosion would be in the Mariana’s trench. Whether the Breach had an effect like I was suggesting or the yield was just underestimated by the PPDC (or most likely the writers overestimating the power of a 27-36 megaton bomb) we don’t know but we do know that the explosion should’ve been smaller had it been as big as they said. So I believe Slattern’s not that far off. But I think you’re right about Uprising kaiju being more powerful as several articles mention how they are superior to the PR1 kaiju. Also in Pacific Rim: The Black, Apex can kill Slatterns but he ends up being mortally wounded by Boy, who is inferior to Copperhead (who is only a Cat IV).
So maybe it should instead be:
Striker Eureka’s self-destruction and all who scale to him: 7-B/High 7-A (Gipsy Danger (swords and self-destruction), Striker Eureka (Sting Blades and self-destruction)
Uprising era Jaegers and Kaiju: 6-C (Mega-Kaiju, Raijin, Shrikethorn, Hakuja, Gipsy Avenger, Obsidian Fury, Saber Athena, Bracer Phoenix, Guardian Bravo, Drone Jaegers, Atlas Destroyer (with Saber Chain), Striker Berserker, Hunter Vertigo, Apex, Acidquill, Kaiju Eel, Bonespur, Boy (kaiju form), Hybrid Kaiju, Copperhead, Breacher etc)
I would 100% be for this. 7-B, possibly High 7-A for Pacific Rim Era category 5 Kaiju, 6-C for Uprising Era Kaiju category 4's and/or 5's whatever makes more sense. Also since the nuke has been upgraded all category 4 pacific rim Kaiju can go back to scaling to Low 7-B.

I would 100% be for this. 7-B, possibly High 7-A for Pacific Rim Era category 5 Kaiju, 6-C for Uprising Era Kaiju category 4's and/or 5's whatever makes more sense. Also since the nuke has been upgraded all category 4 pacific rim Kaiju can go back to scaling to Low 7-B.
To be fair, I think they got downgraded to High 7-C as upscaling from Tresspasser only got them to about 900 kilotons. Upgrading them might be a job for another thread. But I’ll make the agreed changes now since it’s been 48 hours.

To be fair, I think they got downgraded to High 7-C as upscaling from Tresspasser only got them to about 900 kilotons. Upgrading them might be a job for another thread. But I’ll make the agreed changes now since it’s been 48 hours.
It was based on Knifehead, a category 3 kaiju, having a power value that was 1.4x Traspassers, which put him at 943 kilotons. Category 4's scale above Catagory 3's by a large margin, so making the jump to 1 megaton shouldn't be a problem. The only reason they were downgraded is because they died to a 1.2 megaton bomb which is now 30ish megatons, so it's no longer a problem for them to scale that high.

It was based on Knifehead, a category 3 kaiju, having a power value that was 1.4x Traspassers, which put him at 943 kilotons. Category 4's scale above Catagory 3's by a large margin, so making the jump to 1 megaton shouldn't be a problem. The only reason they were downgraded is because they died to a 1.2 megaton bomb which is now 30ish megatons, so it's no longer a problem for them to scale that high.
Ah ok. Might make those changes soon then

Also for the 7-B value I suggest we go with the 30ton/1ton ratio as opposed to the osmium one due to the fact that it was stated by del Toro, the director of the first movie the nuke is in.

Also for the 7-B value I suggest we go with the 30ton/1ton ratio as opposed to the osmium one due to the fact that it was stated by del Toro, the director of the first movie the nuke is in.
I’ve made the edits, listed them both. Also, Travis Beacham wrote the first movie as well so I think he’s just as reliable.

Last edited:
I don't think this is how durability works
Why not? Slattern is currently scaling from a nuke that left him disfigured. Keep in mind this is the amount of energy Crabcakes took before the beam managed to cut him, so this much energy did no physical damage to him. He’s not scaling to the full energy of the beam but rather the amount of energy that was unloaded into him before it could damage him. It’s not that far off the high end of the Pacific Rim nuke as well, so it’s relatively consistent (especially since Uprising kaiju are the only ones who scale)

Last edited:
Keep in mind this is the amount of energy Crabcakes took before the beam managed to cut him, so this much energy did no physical damage to him. He’s not scaling to the full energy of the beam but rather the amount of energy that was unloaded into him before it could damage him.
Seems like calc stacking, as a thread rejected the premise of scaling from damaging a character's surface area

Seems like calc stacking, as a thread rejected the premise of scaling from damaging a character's surface area
The calc doesn’t mention surface area. It’s how much energy he took from the beam in 0.12 seconds. It’s like Thor taking the force of the Neutron Star in Infinity War, we know the energy emitted per second and we know how long the character could take that amount of energy. It just was much shorter for Crabcakes. And there’s no calc stacking, Breaches need more energy than humanity has used in 100 years according to an in-universe dossier from the Novelisation of the first film.

Last edited:
Back