• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soul Manipulation: Haki is used by manifesting the power of Spiritual Energy.
  • Switching the souls of users do not remove their capability of using Haki, as Sanji could use Kenbunshoku while in Nami's body.
  • Big Mom's soul powers could drain Busoshoku from Luffy
To add to this. Enma stealing Zoro's haki was said as it stealing his LIFE FORCE. There's a connection between Enma sapping Zoro's Haki, and it draining his very life in the process.

To add to this. Enma stealing Zoro's haki was said as it stealing his LIFE FORCE. There's a connection between Enma sapping Zoro's Haki, and it draining his very life in the process.
Well Life Force and Soul are kinda different, but thanks for at least giving that evidence for life force

what else there is incorrect?
Initial Stage:
  • Examples include Luffy as of Marineford
This isn't anything haki related, it's stated that it's because of luffy's battle experience
ONE-PIECE-magazine-Vol-10-p046-ONE-PIECE-a-Kraa-2.jpg

And it can't be coincidence that the exact same smoke-like effect is present when Enma's sucking Zoro's life, similiar to when BIG MOM did it to Luffy's boundman. Soul manip via Haki drain has consistency between Linlin's DF and Enma's effects. (Both visual and narrative)
Screenshot_1.jpg

It's also the fact that Luffy running out of boundman is always shown with him exhaling smoke out, but in here you see that smokey effect around Linlin, and there's loads of that same stuff getting dragged off his whole body rather than just his mouth.
Screenshot_2.jpg

So whether it's Life Force manip resistance or Soul manip resistance is.. Generally up for debate. I'd say Zoro lasts longer when Enma's doing it than when Boundman clashed with BM, mostly because Zoro's haki is currently stronger than the Luffy that clashed with her during the wedding. Stronger Haki>better resistance.

Initial Stage:
  • Examples include Luffy as of Marineford
This isn't anything haki related, it's stated that it's because of luffy's battle experience
ONE-PIECE-magazine-Vol-10-p046-ONE-PIECE-a-Kraa-2.jpg

Luffy's striking strength, not spoiled by his rubber abilities

It's not just a matter of time, but it's also a matter of how much you're willing to pay.
He has a firm grasp of his vulnerability to slashes and the risk of having his outstretched arm cut off, based on his many experiences in actual combat. Luffy, who experienced being ridden by an unprotected outstretched arm in a fight with Kuro, who boasts of high speed, during the Summit War
Luffy successfully avoided the danger of having his arm cut off by Mihawk.
Where's that from

And it can't be coincidence that the exact same smoke-like effect is present when Enma's sucking Zoro's life, similiar to when BIG MOM did it to Luffy's boundman. Soul manip via Haki drain has consistency between Linlin's DF and Enma's effects. (Both visual and narrative)
Screenshot_1.jpg

It's also the fact that Luffy running out of boundman is always shown with him exhaling smoke out, but in here you see that smokey effect around Linlin, and there's loads of that same stuff getting dragged off his whole body rather than just his mouth.
Screenshot_2.jpg

So whether it's Life Force manip resistance or Soul manip resistance is.. Generally up for debate. I'd say Zoro lasts longer when Enma's doing it than when Boundman clashed with BM, mostly because Zoro's haki is currently stronger than the Luffy that clashed with her during the wedding. Stronger Haki>better resistance.
I guess we just need some statement about what it is or what's happening

magazine vol 10, you can read the image description
Thanks. I got something different
Luffy had no time to be overconfident in his abilities, having spent his childhood in defeat at the hands of Ace, Sapo, and even the Haki user Garp. Through his experience in numerous actual battles, he is well aware of his vulnerability to slashing attacks and even the risk of having his outstretched arm cut off. In a battle with Kuro, who boasts of his high speed, Luffy experienced being ridden by an unprotected outstretched arm, and during the Summit War, he successfully avoided the danger of having his arm amputated by Mihawk.

It does't look like the other instances to me.
I don't see how this is different to her other instances.
That's what haki looks like sometimes...
Haki has never looked like that when it's actually been used, and Big Mom already activated her haki in the previous page to block the Kong Gun so no it's not her activating haki.
That's a scene that took place at a later time when Luffy has better mastery over his G4 powers, and it's not like we see him powering down on-screen there anyway.
It doesn't matter if we see him powering down on screen, after Big Mom stole Luffy's haki he was unable to walk on his own for several pages and was still being carried by Sanji. Meanwhile the actual two instances where Luffy did deactivate his powers willingly he had none of these issues.
Also, Luffy doesn't even say that his Haki was draining, he said that the power was draining. He said the same thing in the latest chapter when he tried to stop his power escaping by covering his mouth and keep air inside him.
He said "Don't leave me yet strength" as his power was forcibly leaving him due to being at his limit, the difference with that example and Big Mom is he literally just entered Gear Fourth so he's nowhere near his limit, and against Big Mom he felt the need to say his power is draining; if he was doing it willingly why mention that.

I guess we just need some statement about what it is or what's happening
You have the statement- Enma sucking Zoro's haki directly drains his life instead of just Haki. You could make a case for that being life force manip.
But Rayleigh's statement of it being "spiritual" and the fact that characters can use their haki even when their souls are in other beings gives support to it potential being soul manip resistance as well. Wouldn't Law have just switched Kaido and BM's personalities if it was that easy?

I don't see how this is different to her other instances.

It doesn't look the same to me.

It doesn't matter if we see him powering down on screen, after Big Mom stole Luffy's haki he was unable to walk on his own for several pages and was still being carried by Sanji. Meanwhile the actual two instances where Luffy did deactivate his powers willingly he had none of these issues.

If Big Mom could just remotely drain people's Haki, why has she never done this any other time?

And Luffy being unable to walk could be put down to Gear 4 being exhausting / Sanji wanted to make sure Luffy got out of there.

He said "Don't leave me yet strength" as his power was forcibly leaving him due to being at his limit, the difference with that example and Big Mom is he literally just entered Gear Fourth so he's nowhere near his limit, and against Big Mom he felt the need to say his power is draining; if he was doing it willingly why mention that.

He was just commenting out loud on what was happening to him. Him doing it willingly doesn't mean he enjoys the effects of it.

I never said he hit his limit.

If Big Mom could just remotely drain people's Haki, why has she never done this any other time?
Bad argument.

Not using it in other instances is not a debunk.
And Luffy being unable to walk could be put down to Gear 4 being exhausting / Sanji wanted to make sure Luffy got out of there.
He threw a single punch and was out of commission and couldn't walk

After Katakuri beat his ass in Bounceman, he ran out and he could still run around

It doesn't look the same to me.
Then I'll point out the similarities:
  • Is a wavy aura effect with twirls in it.
  • is slightly transparent.
Sorry but I'm not seeing how that is in anyway different to any other time she's used it.

Could ask the same question about her never using haoshoku coating against Kid and Law, regardless that doesn't stop her from being able to use it.
He was just commenting out loud on what was happening to him. Him doing it willingly doesn't mean he enjoys the effects of it.

I never said he hit his limit.
Maybe he doesn't enjoy the effects of it, regardless the actual instances of him leaving Gear Fourth willingly don't show him in a powerless state like you're claiming happens.

You said this:
He said the same thing in the latest chapter when he tried to stop his power escaping by covering his mouth and keep air inside him.

Last edited:
Author statement about Luffy vs Doffy is that Luffy CAN walk and act just fine after G4's drain, and only let people in Dressrosa carry him because he trusts them. This is also shown when he runs out of G4 based on the time limit and not a outside source drain vs Katakuri, and continues running around and fighting. Even uses G3 vs Perospero seconds after.
In here this was a far worse situation and Luffy didn't run out of it, he got forcibly put out of it.

Bad argument.
Not using it in other instances is not a debunk.

It does raise a question on inconsistency.

Big Mom has to use Soul Pocus to drain other people's souls and it doesn't work on those who don't fear her.

But apparently she can just drain Luffy's soul fine without it?

Maybe he doesn't enjoy the effects of it, regardless the actual instances of him leaving Gear Fourth willingly don't show him in a powerless state like you're claiming happens.
You said this:

I meant I never said he hit his limit fighting Big Mom.

Sorry but I'm not seeing how that is in anyway different to any other time she's used it.

Those other times are the souls emerging from people's body and her grabbing it. Here, her hand gets that smoky haze over it even before Luffy is shown untransforming.

Could ask the same question about her never using haoshoku coating against Kid and Law, regardless that doesn't stop her from being able to use it.

That's a 100% less ambiguous action than what happened between her and Luffy though.

He threw a single punch and was out of commission and couldn't walk

That doesn't mean his Haki was drained from him by some technique that is never explained.

If we get more information then fine, but for now it is too speculative.

Those other times are the souls emerging from people's body and her grabbing it. Here, her hand gets that smoky haze over it even before Luffy is shown untransforming.
I'm not claiming she's done it at other times, only that the raw effects match the other times soul powers were used allowing us to say it's her soul fruit being used.
That's a 100% less ambiguous action than what happened between her and Luffy though.
You asked why she didn't use it again, not about what she's actually doing being ambiguous.

Then I'll point out the similarities:
  • Is a wavy aura effect with twirls in it.
  • is slightly transparent.
Big moms soul manipulation isn't transparent

It is, the scan you sent above even shows it being slightly transparent.
Yee kinda... But they look completely different
https://****************/wp-content/uploads/WP-manga/data/manga_617f9817c8904/6ca326d7df2683d49ad6ba8ecf5118d2/036.jpghttps://****************/wp-content/uploads/WP-manga/data/manga_617f9817c8904/45199a3fa6f28b71af90d2a2b414b879/0035.jpg

There definitely isn't enough proof of haki being soul

Why is the argument even whether or not she can do it without soul Pocus?
The correlation between her draining Luffy through Haki and Enma draining Zoro in the exact same way shouldn't be ignored. Luffy says he's drained and is unable to do anything for multiple pages, which shouldn't be the case when he willingly taps out of G4.

Both cases of Enma and BM draining the user's haki come with the wavy smoke-like haze and the user actively commenting about being DRAINED. It doesn't have to be soul manip, but the evidence for it draining the user's life is there.

Why is the argument even whether or not she can do it without soul Pocus?
The correlation between her draining Luffy through Haki and Enma draining Zoro in the exact same way shouldn't be ignored. Luffy says he's drained and is unable to do anything for multiple pages, which shouldn't be the case when he willingly taps out of G4.

Both cases of Enma and BM draining the user's haki come with the wavy smoke-like haze and the user actively commenting about being DRAINED. It doesn't have to be soul manip, but the evidence for it draining the user's life is there.
We still don't know whats actually happening, we need more confirmation

We still don't know whats actually happening, we need more confirmation
So we'll just ignore the fact that, on paper, Enma was draining Zoro's Life and not just his haki? There's clear resistance to it because Zoro pre-raid got his arm squeezed like a toothpaste tube from the drain, while Zoro vs King shows him lasting far longer with the same drain.
We don't know if it's Soul manip resistance- that's fine.
But we KNOW it's Life Force manip THROUGH energy absorption. It's literally flat out SAID that it is.

Well, I'm currently unconvinced. The visual evidence you've provided doesn't line up with other usages of her soul power.
It does and regardless of what your personal opinion is on them being similar it doesn't change the fact that she absorbed his haki.

It does and regardless of what your personal opinion is on them being similar it doesn't change the fact that she absorbed his haki.
Luffy doesn't actually make a comment on his Haki being absorbed. He says the "power is draining" from him, which looks to me to be the same as just the air being released from him as was the case in the Kaido fight too.

Luffy doesn't actually make a comment on his Haki being absorbed. He says the "power is draining" from him, which looks to me to be the same as just the air being released from him as was the case in the Kaido fight too.
He says his power is draining after Big Mom did the thing with her hand which looks like her soul powers.

it looking similar to what happened against Kaido doesn't really matter as that's what happens when he runs out of haki, although as it was mentioned above despite being similar this air/haki is being released from all over his body unlike against Kaido.

But regardless what happens against Kaido and other opponents only occurs when Luffy has reached the limit of his gear fourth, which didn't happen here. And we already covered why it's not an effect on him deactivating it at will.

So we'll just ignore the fact that, on paper, Enma was draining Zoro's Life and not just his haki? There's clear resistance to it because Zoro pre-raid got his arm squeezed like a toothpaste tube from the drain, while Zoro vs King shows him lasting far longer with the same drain.
We don't know if it's Soul manip resistance- that's fine.
But we KNOW it's Life Force manip THROUGH energy absorption. It's literally flat out SAID that it is.
Not ignore... Wait until further confirmation, emin is saying it's soul manipulation and you are saying something completely different. Bro

Rejected because too many Luffy GIFs.

In all seriousness however, good work. The only thing the page needs is some clean up to it's grammar and structure.

I disagree, there's enough as I've posted above.
Ok then... Explain how big mom could steal luffy's haki when he isn't afraid, explain how haki is someone's soul when no translation correlates to it
  • The term "Haki" is a word that has multiple meanings when translated into English. It can mean "ambition", "will power", "drive", "spirit", "vigor" and "aspiration" to name a few. The term itself, however, literally translates to "Supreme Qi".
Explain why there are no statements of haki being something that has to do with ones soul... There are to many unknowns and many contradictions

Ok then... Explain how big mom could steal luffy's haki when he isn't afraid, explain how haki is someone's soul when no translation correlates to it
  • The term "Haki" is a word that has multiple meanings when translated into English. It can mean "ambition", "will power", "drive", "spirit", "vigor" and "aspiration" to name a few. The term itself, however, literally translates to "Supreme Qi".
Explain why there are no statements of haki being something that has to do with ones soul... There are to many unknowns and many contradictions
the closest thing would be chi on what haki is. spirit is, in a way, another definition of soul but sometimes it means a diffferent thing.

Curiously enough, Tenguyama also says this:
Screenshot_3.jpg

"Ryuo" is literally just wano's name for Busoshoku Haki.
Busoshoku haki is what's drained when Enma saps the user's life. Another DIRECT correlation between Haki drain having an effect on the user's life.

There isn't one single instant where BUSOSHOKU HAKI looked like THIS:
Screenshot_5.jpg
with the aura around it and whatnot.

Not naturally at least. The only times we see it like that is when Enma's draining Zoro's life force. And coincidentally when Luffy says his power's drained. Both instances where they both actively got drained via Busoshoku related means.
Luffy saying "I'm running out of POWER" is more in character for him than saying "She drained my LIFE", both because the contact didn't last for long, and because Luffy isn't the type that'd even notice what's related to his soul and what isn't.
Zoro literally says the sword will drain his life, and Tenguyama says Enma drains Ryuo/Busoshoku and turns the user to a husk. A thing which draining HAKI ONLY does not do, because Luffy runs his Busoshoku to the ground with G4 and he never becomes A HUSK even though he runs out ENTIRELY and can't even use it for defense. It shows that running out of haki naturally vs Your haki somehow getting drained out of you is the difference between it effect your actual life force and not.

Do we have any other instance where Luffy falls out of G4 and says "The power is DRAINING"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back