• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ain’t putting Rubber Rubber no Giant’s Stamp cause it’s English and ppl will understand it better.

All English translations do is make them know the English version, and they’ll still have to go to the page to understand what the ability does

I ain’t putting Rubber Rubber no Giant’s Stamp cause it’s English and ppl will understand it better.

All English translations do is make them know the English version, and they’ll still have to go to the page to understand what the ability does
I don't think Viz even translate it as "Rubber Rubber no Giant's Stamp".

I'm not advocating super-literal translations be used everywhere.

Natural but I'm leaning with Ant and Damage
How about simply writing "Busoshoku/Armament Haki" at the start of that section, for example?
Just a thought but is Kenbunshoku and Busoshoku really better to use on the profiles than Observation and Armament?

Generally speaking I think we should be using the English translations where we can, especially for terminology like this where we want to make it clear to anyone visiting the pages who may not know One Piece well.

I don't think Viz even translate it as "Rubber Rubber no Giant's Stamp".

I'm not advocating super-literal translations be used everywhere.
They don’t even call it “observation” or “armament”. They say “color of observation” and “color of arms”. So that doesn’t work on your side either

They don’t even call it “observation” or “armament”. They say “color of observation” and “color of arms”. So that doesn’t work on your side either
Yes, but I also wasn't calling for specifically only Viz translations to be used exclusively. Armament and Observation work a lot better and are just as useable as far as translations go.

I just think that it makes sense for English terms to be our primary option.

"Straw Hat" instead of "Mugiwara". "Emperors" instead of "Yonko". "Warlords" instead of "Shichibukai".

There's lots of different examples and I'm sure there's a lot of personal opinions on people preferring some of these terms in the original Japanese than how they look/sound in English, but it still seems better to me as a general rule to go for English first.

It's commonly known in as and refer to as Armament Haki, Observation Haki and Conqueror's haki in English... That's what most English speaking people know it for I think

It's commonly known in as and refer to as Armament Haki, Observation Haki and Conqueror's haki in English... That's what most English speaking people know it for I think
Yes, it is easier to understand in the character profile pages. The Haki explanation page can obviously use both the English and Japanese names for the different types.

This looks ugly
Uv5YEmn.png

Desktop-Screenshot-2022-03-13-20-04-05-21.png

This looks better I feel like... Think it should be placed like this like the haki page... Observation Haki, Armament Haki and Conqueror's haki in that order but idk 🤷‍♂️

Honestly from an outsider looking in (haven't read a single chapter of OP) i think the best course of action regarding the specific "wording" of the different types of Haki is to hold a vote.

I'm not talking about a "Mod Only" vote either, the people who regularly use these profiles (I.E The Supporters, Mods or non Mods) should have a say in-regards on what goes on the profiles, which includes the wording of specific abilities.

This should hopefully end this debate given its a very insignificant aspect of the entire Haki page and honestly just holds up this thread from being completed in a more timely manner.

This should hopefully end this debate given its a very insignificant aspect of the entire Haki page and honestly just holds up this thread from being completed in a more timely manner.

Well, it's not the Haki page I'm concerned about but the presentation on the profiles themselves.

I actually remembered mentioning to KingTempest an idea for a revision for Powers and Abilities in general now that all of the major statistics revisions are done, so we could discuss this more when it comes to that since formatting would be a part of it.

I'm fine for KT to go ahead with keeping it as "Busoshoku", etc. on the profiles for the time being.

Well, it's not the Haki page I'm concerned about but the presentation on the profiles themselves.
I know, i just didn't work that part of my post properly. I'm referencing the "wording" which will show up on the profiles to be more specific.

I've been awake for like, 16+ hours so my grammar isn't the best right now.

Well, I personally think that it is likely confusing for our casual visitors to not read the English wordings, but if everybody else here prefer the Japanese instead, I suppose that I will concede.

Anyway, what has been accepted here so far, and what currently needs to be done?

Anyway, what has been accepted here so far, and what currently needs to be done?
I'm pretty sure it's already done and implemented, or mostly implemented by KT. We just need to wait on the word from him to close the thread.

Okay. That is good then. Thank you for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back