• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece - Busoshoku Haki edit (Chapter 937)

So, the latest chapter of One Piece has been released, and we get a lot of vague explanations of Busoshoku Haki's more advanced capabilities.

Keeping it short:

Barrier Creation and Attack Reflection - Possible energy projection or telekinesis
Luffy notes that Rayleigh deflected the Elephant pre time-skip without even touching it in his demonstration of Armament Haki.

This is actually something I was waiting to bring up for a very long time. In two different cases in pre time-skip, we see the 3 Admirals, and then Rayleigh demonstrate some level of barrier creation.

The 3 Admirals stood together and deflected a quake attack sent by Whitebeard and all 3 can be seen with their arms outstretched, as if to be gesturing the creation of a wall or barrier.

Rayleigh later displays his Armament haki creating a blue burst and deflecting the elephant that struck him, sending it flying back and harming it. Clear signs of barrier creation and even attack reflection. We also see Luffy reflecting his experience with fighting Sentomaru and Marigold. Marigold displays a form of Attack Reflection, and Sentomaru either sends out a barrier, or a telekinetic wall to strike Luffy from a very short distance.

This latest chapter and statement helps solidify these suspicions I've had, and they should affect the Haki Page, and the profiles of each of the characters listed here.

A form of Transmutation
As also noted in this latest chapter, it appears that those who wield "Black Blades" possibly used Armament Haki to permanently alter their form.

As Zoro fights, his opponent mentions that Shusui "became" a Black Blade over the course of many battles, reminding Zoro of what Mihawk had previously told him about "every weapon being able to become a black blade" like his after a flashback Zoro had upon defeating Pica. Mihawk makes this incredibly clear that this is a result of Haki, and that Haki is what makes the Black Blades (also obvious from Zoro using his Haki-infused blades against Pica).

As such, Mihawk and Ryuma (Alive) would have this transmuting ability to further enhance their blades with Haki--permanently.

Barrier Creation as an advanced application of Armament Haki (demonstrated to my knowledge only by the three Admirals and Rayleigh) is fine.

I think we need a bit more evidence before we put Marigold and Sentomaru on that level (Luffy might only be recalling their usage of Armament Haki, not them using the full advanced version like Rayleigh).

As for the Black Sword bit, I think we should wait on that. It looks like Oda is setting up an official explanation for it in the story so we can wait and see if he'll properly confirm it there.

@Damage - Barrier creation for top tier Busoshoku users, sure. Attack Reflection should be applying to anyone who has displayed it. Sentomaru also clearly never puts a hand on Luffy at all in their fight and merely sends him flying with palm thrusts using Haki.

The Black Sword bit is basically confirmed with this. All of the black blades are infused with Haki and the effects are permanent. You can decide to wait, but I think it has already been made abundantly clear.

I'm going to sleep and work <_< be back here in like 20 hours or something.

Well, I think it's pretty clear from inference too but Oda will probably specify what it entails / how the exact process happens.

On the topic of Haki, I think the previous chapters recently have implied that Haki can be negated through Seastone; Luffy stated that he couldn't use his Haki, then as soon as the restraints are taken off of him he could use Haki without issues.

Ch. 935's official translation (directly from Shueisha's app) says that Luffy is ignoring the cuffs' power via willpower alone and that he's ignoring laws os physics. Can't put a screenshots right now but I'll later.

Right now I'm going to edit Ryuma's profile with the new info. He had Haki back in his prime but I won't add a thing about the Limited Transmutation because that goes to the Haki's page instead.

So yeah, here's what's accepted from what I can see:

• Barrier/Forcefield Creation for Advanced Busoshoku Haki wielders. Should obviously apply to the 3 Admirals, Rayleigh, possibly Whitebeard (He's dead so we will not see any hard evidence of him using it, but it would be strange to think he is only adept with the rudimentary Haki abilities), and the other Yonko. (Pretty sure the 3 Admirals each have this on their profile already.
  • Attack Reflection for users of Busoshoku Haki. We only see Sentomaru, Rayleigh, and Marigold use this outright, and we know two of these characters to specialize in Busoshoku.
  • Possible form of Transmutation for Mihawk and Living Ryuma specifically. No one else has even implied using this (No need to suggest they used Haki for this, but I think this has all but been confirmed at this point).
Still up for debate:

• A form of Energy Manipulation. We do see energy radiating from Rayleigh in his demonstration of Haki, and later during Luffy vs Katakuri when Rayleigh tells Luffy about how Haki blooms in the middle of combat. But how it works, we don't know yet.
  • A form of rudimentary "Telekinesis". We see Sentomaru use palm thrusts that do NOT touch Luffy, and send him flying a great distance. We may have seen this from other Busoshoku users, but I'm not too sure. Probably hold off on this
  • Transmutation. I noted it above, but Ryuma and Mihawk have supposedly "MADE" Black Blades, so they get it by default, but we don't know how this applies to Haki as of yet (if ever).

Armor haki is nothing but armor haki imo. Tk is a big stretch. Repelling is more within its ranges tho. Such as repelling the air between the user and the incoming attack and such

didn't say he sent an "energy blast". Don't twist my words. I merely stated energy radiated from him when he displayed Haki to Luffy in both cases we see it in.

I don't think all Armament Haki users should have attack reflection, only the ones who have demonstrated that level of proficiency with it.

Without evidence I don't think we can say that the Yonko could possibly create barriers.

Yeah none of the Yonko has demonstrated this ability. BM came the closest but that was when she used a different type of the three haki.

That said Luffy did not just pick this up and apparently has been in his arsenal since Silvers trainig (Albeit unrefined). It would be weird if Dress Luffy and the admirals could pull this off yet the top tiers in the Yonko, Garp, etc could not. . . .

Dr. Fix; Luffy can't use it yet though, can he? He's currently training / trying to use it in the sumo arena.

And I agree, without direct confirmation we should wait.

What about the characters who are stated to be masters in Haki? Because the Three Admirals can do the Barrier Creation while Shanks was stated to be top in the three types and should be at least comparable to Rayleigh.

What about the characters who are stated to be masters in Haki? Because the Three Admirals can do the Barrier Creation while Shanks was stated to be top in the three types and should be at least comparable to Rayleigh.

I think that depends. While I think Shanks is very likely to be capable of it, I'm not 100% sure if he can actually do it.

Just like I think it is very likely that Shanks has precog on Katakuri's level, but I have no concrete evidence for it.

I would say that the three Admirals, Sentomaru and Rayleigh can definitely create barriers. Some other advanced users of Haki may be capable of it, but I wouldn't put them down as definitely having it.

Katakuri for example was shown to have very advanced Armament Haki, but never showed himself capable of creating barriers.

Of course, but that's more a proof that Katakuri doesn't have Armament Haki at such level while his Observation is the best to date.

The different applications aren't correlative. One can have a monstruous Armament without Observation and viceversa. But Shanks is one of the few characters that has been stated to have mastered the three types of Haki while characters like Sentomaru were stated to be proficient (ofc I'm going with the Databook to say all of this).

Anyway, all of the abilities should be listed in the Haki's page and not on the profile. But to do that we should reorganize the page with the different levels of mastery and the abilities each level grants.

Sadly, without proper scaling evidence we can't do that yet so using the profiles for the most especific abilities is the best option right now. Of course things like Stat amps and Precognition aren't needed on the profile because those are the most basic applications.

I'd prefer waiting till Shanks, Whitebeard and others display it before listing it on their profile.

Anyway, since pretty much everyone agrees on the basics of the changes being suggested here I'll write up a quick draft of the additions to be made to the main Haki page.

He doesn't look close at all. Luffy was getting back and Sentomaru repelled him. On top of that, the previous page shows some kind of aura around his hands when he pushed Luffy.

Calaca Vs said:
He doesn't look close at all. Luffy was getting back and Sentomaru repelled him. On top of that, the previous page shows some kind of aura around his hands when he pushed Luffy.
Yeah, that'd be the barrier he created to reflect Luffy's attacks.

He thrusts his hands out and it looks like he is moving his legs. It is entirely possible he closed the gap between them.

If it is a ranged attack, it is very short-ranged one so far.

Back