• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Anime Canonicity Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there aren't any contradictions with the manga, then i think it's fine.
This is my view as well. If a feat happens in both the manga and anime, and there are no major contradictions, we can use the timeframes as usual. However, we already do that.

What exactly is being suggested here in addition to that?

The staff asked for permission to make them fight, but nothing guarantees whether it was specified HOW they would do it.

we can use the timeframes as usual. However, we already do that.
Currently Ant, we don't do that. We don't allow timeframes, statements, anything from the anime.

This thread was originally to make the anime from Wano+ second canon, but now it's to validate anything from the entire anime that doesn't contradict.

But, as far as I am aware, our official rules already allow timeframes from anime adaptions to be used for scenes that happen much the same way as in the original mangas.

But, as far as I am aware, our official rules already allow timeframes from anime adaptions to be used for scenes that happen much the same way as in the original mangas.
You are correct, but this practice hasn't been accepted for the One Piece series.
  • Regarding the canon: In terms of canon material, this wiki uses the manga strictly. The anime is considered non-canon here. In the case of anime, it contradicts statements, feats, personalities, and abilities of characters in many cases. This happens with censorship, filler content in canon material, and pacing.
Examples of censorship-based contradictions: Luffy's skull was pierced through the back by one of Jango's attacks, but in the anime, he catches it with his mouth. Red-leg Zeff cuts off his leg to escape from wreckage in the anime, but in the manga, he cuts it off and eats it to survive. During his fight with Absalom, Sanji was pierced completely through the chest by a blade and dropped Nami in order to keep blood off of her dress, whereas the anime simply had him pummeled with punches, and thus couldn't hold onto Nami anymore. These are just to name a few. There are dozens to hundreds of these cases both pre time-skip and post time-skip. Examples of contradictions in the anime for abilities and powerscaling: Fujitora vs Luffy has different statements and displays Ferocious Tiger as bending space in the anime, which differs greatly from the manga. Smoker was shown capable of holding his own against Doflamingo and only fell once he attempted to protect his comrades, but the manga displays Doflamingo one-shotting him without any fight occuring. Mont-D'or's power is displayed as putting Luffy within a book in the anime and being susceptible to outside assaults without realizing it, but the manga only displays this when Luffy is staring at the pages of the book and very quickly returns to his senses once Nami calls out to him.
Which is why in all of our calcs we have to assume timeframes and such.

Oh. That does not seem reasonable. The same standards should apply for One Piece as for other anime adaptions.

There's been good reasons in the past to ignore the anime adaptation, as listed out there. Pacing and terrible quality being some of the more prominent issues. But this point:

If a feat happens in both the manga and anime, and there are no major contradictions, we can use the timeframes as usual. However, we already do that.

Is a bit different to treating that every single addition in the One Piece anime for the last three arcs as being canon, which is what the OP is proposing.

Yes, that is true. We should strictly apply our usual rules, not go considerably further.

The usual rules should be fine.

The OP was mainly for the statement that we found on twitter, but since that statement is invalid, we changed it into making the anime regular secondary canon like other series do instead of the full extent that the original post stated. I apologize on not clarifying that.

My suggestions to the current wording is this.
In terms of canon material, this wiki deems the manga as the primary canon. The anime is considered canon on a case by case basis. In the case of anime, it contradicts statements, feats, personalities, and abilities of characters in many cases. This happens with censorship, filler content in canon material, and pacing. Since we have confirmation that Oda approves certain scenes in the anime, we've decided to take the anime as canon in the areas where it does not contradict the source material.

Is this alright?

Since we have confirmation that Oda approves certain scenes in the anime, we've decided to take the anime as canon in the areas where it does not contradict the source material.

That doesn't sound quite right to me. If Oda approves of a specific scene, that's one thing, but treating every single addition as canon unless it has been contradicted by the directly is a bit much.

I don't think we treat other anime, such as the Naruto Shippuden anime for example, like this.

That doesn't sound quite right to me. If Oda approves of a specific scene, that's one thing, but treating every single addition as canon unless it has been contradicted by the directly is a bit much.

I don't think we treat other anime, such as the Naruto Shippuden anime for example, like this.
I meant to say the anime scenes that share scenes with the manga.

The anime only scenes need to be further discussed.

I meant to say the anime scenes that share scenes with the manga.

The anime only scenes need to be further discussed.

This seems reasonable to me. It’s my personal belief that we should use the entire anime considering that it’s going to be a case by case basis.
If we are going to use scenes that are the exact same in both medias, what difference does it make if the scenes are from 2 or 20 years ago? They both are a exact transfer of the manga content.

This seems reasonable to me. It’s my personal belief that we should use the entire anime considering that it’s going to be a case by case basis.
If we are going to use scenes that are the exact same in both medias, what difference does it make if the scenes are from 2 or 20 years ago? They both are a exact transfer of the manga content.
I would agree but just to be safe, we have no evidence if oda used to do that before with the entire series, but we do have evidence with Zou and up. That’s why I believe and Zou and Up is the more reasonable choice.

Thank God.
In terms of canon material, this wiki deems the manga as the primary canon. The anime is considered secondary canon on a case by case basis. In the case of anime, it contradicts statements, feats, personalities, and abilities of characters in many cases. This happens with censorship, filler content in canon material, and pacing. Since we have confirmation that Oda approves certain scenes in the anime, we've decided to take the anime as canon in the areas where it perfectly or similarly represents the manga, and the scenes not shown in the manga that are represented in the anime will be deemed as filler.
Should this be alright? We need to replace the statement on the Verse page.

If Zou is accepted as canon then we'll need a new calculation on Jack tanking Zou's trunk.

Also what arcs are being suggested as canon? From what I'm reading it seems like Zou, Whole Cake and Wano?

If Zou is accepted as canon then we'll need a new calculation on Jack tanking Zou's trunk.

Also what arcs are being suggested as canon? From what I'm reading it seems like Zou, Whole Cake and Wano?
Yeah, those but the only scenes that aren't contradicted by the manga.

What's solid is that the whole anime can be used for the scenes that are in the manga.

We can tackle extra scenes after, but this is the minimum that we needed.

Only thing I'm waiting for is the acceptance of the new wording
Thank God.
In terms of canon material, this wiki deems the manga as the primary canon. The anime is considered secondary canon on a case by case basis. In the case of anime, it contradicts statements, feats, personalities, and abilities of characters in many cases. This happens with censorship, filler content in canon material, and pacing. Since we have confirmation that Oda approves certain scenes in the anime, we've decided to take the anime as canon in the areas where it perfectly or similarly represents the manga, and the scenes not shown in the manga that are represented in the anime will be deemed as filler.
Should this be alright? We need to replace the statement on the Verse page.

Or just to remove the old wording in general.

Thanks. Should I link this thread in there as well, or should I leave it?

The new wording mostly seems fine to apply, but maybe there should be a brief clarification that we mainly use the anime for timeframe references, not as a replacement if a feat is larger in the anime, for example.

The new wording mostly seems fine to apply, but maybe there should be a brief clarification that we mainly use the anime for timeframe references, not as a replacement if a feat is larger in the anime, for example.
What if the feat isn't clear enough to calculate using manga panels, while the anime give good panelss to scale?

I think that this seems reasonable.

The suggested regulation wording above needs to be updated though.
I can add this at the end

Please note, the anime is not allowed to be used if the manga gives a perfect alternative for a feat. For example, the shockwave caused by Luffy and Doflamingo's clash was not shown in the manga, and should not be used to scale the manga characters. The anime is mainly used for timeframes, clarifications on feats, etc. If the manga is clear enough, the anime should not be used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back