• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Official Calculations Discussion Thread

How would I calculate lifting strength from ripping off and shattering thick steel constraints?

Here are the feats I plan to calculate:

I was using the chain-breaking formula without accounting for hollowness since it's not hollow at all, but realized partway through that there may be a different method in this situation (Chain breaking formula resulted in high Class M Lifting Strength).

Shaking a standard-sized mountain could be done via an Earthquake calc, methinks.

I'm back yet again!

Judy a question, but what would shaking an entire mountain yeild?

Heres the feat:

"The roar of the giant dragon shook the earth and swayed the mountain, making the whole peak tremble."
problem is, we don't know the magnitude.
I'd say at least a V Mercalli scale

How would I calculate lifting strength from ripping off and shattering thick steel constraints?

I was using the chain-breaking formula without accounting for hollowness since it's not hollow at all, but realized partway through that there may be a different method in this situation (Chain breaking formula resulted in high Class M Lifting Strength).
Bump? (Not sure how things work here. Just wanted to make sure this gets attention since I've had a blog open since yesterday)

Hmmmmm, calculate the main area at which it was broken off? It'd be the thickness and the width of the metal parts. And then multiply it with the tensile strength of the material.

Is it possible to calculate the flying and reaction/combat speed of the dragons of some way?

1 - 2

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, calculate the main area at which it was broken off? It'd be the thickness and the width of the metal parts. And then multiply it with the tensile strength of the material.
I believe it broke off on both sides (and down the middle it seems) for the first one, and in the second one (the rounded metal beam) it appeared to shatter all over the place rather than just one part.

By area, do you mean the cross-sectional area that was broken? If so, do I still multiply it by 1e+6 and the tensile strength? (Also if we only measured the break by the part that was broken, would it be better to only measure the chains that were broken rather than the whole chain since chains usually break in half or into a few pieces? Because fro what I've seen people usually take the cross-section of the whole chain)

Just a passing thought, what are people's best thoughts on measuring the reaction/combat speed of intercepting a multi-simultaneous projectiles attack one by one in a near instant?
like taking down multiple projectiles that are coming at you all at once, at the same speed and the same distance, and you take them down one by one at such speed that it looks to be almost like they were all stopped at once or hit a wall at the same time.

I have at least two methods to try out

First method of calculating is based on the regular reaction/combat speed of intercepting incoming simultaneous projectile attack.
  1. first you find the distance between the projectiles and the interceptor by the time both move
  2. You divide the two
  3. then multiply the speed of one of the projectiles
  4. then you multiply the others by the total number
  5. and (This one is more tricky) in order for it to not appear to be instantaneous or shot multiple projectiles all at once to intercept (otherwise you get ridiculously high speed) you would need to multiply the time/distance delay between each shot and then divide by the original speed result.
The second would be using frequency which is the amount of something that is done within a given amount of time.
  1. first you would get the # of attacks and * by 60 seconds to get actions per minute.
  2. Then to find the velocity (meters per minute), you must multiply the frequency (APM) by the distance (meters) in question.
  3. Then you would multiply by the number of projectiles to the total velocity to cover all the distance.
  4. and (like the one above) in order for it to not appear to be instantaneous or shot multiple projectiles all at once to intercept (otherwise you get ridiculously high speed) you would need to multiply by the time/distance delay between each shot.

Last edited:
To put into perspective, these images should should give a clear idea what I am talking about

Not this kind of attack

but looking at this one (where you react to talking down all projectiles at near simultaneous speed that it appears to have been stopped all at once.

I believe it broke off on both sides (and down the middle it seems) for the first one, and in the second one (the rounded metal beam) it appeared to shatter all over the place rather than just one part.
Then the area times two, since you're breaking two copies of the same thing

By area, do you mean the cross-sectional area that was broken? If so, do I still multiply it by 1e+6 and the tensile strength?
Area must be in m^2 and the tensile strength must be in Pascal.

(Also if we only measured the break by the part that was broken, would it be better to only measure the chains that were broken rather than the whole chain since chains usually break in half or into a few pieces? Because fro what I've seen people usually take the cross-section of the whole chain)
Just the part where it breaks instead of applying it to the whole thing.

Suppose a rectangular meal beam is torn off. Its length is 20 m, width 0.07 m and thickness is 0.035 cm. The ripping was a vertical yank. Here the area affected would be the width times thickness, basically a super small rectangle.

Another example. A rod of the same length of 20 m has a diameter of 0.04 m. Area affected would be the cross-sectional area of the rod AKA its ends, so circle: pi * r^2.

Once you get the area, just multiply it with the pascal value and boom. LS value obtained.

Be careful tho, sometimes it may get crazy insane results.

Ello! I'm back yet again!

I have a few questions, is it possible to calc these feats, and how?

The first one: The boss makes a huge beam.

The second one: The boss makes... flaming tornados or smth?

The third one: At the beginning of the fight, the boss causes an eclipse.

And the last one: The boss makes these black-hole looking things. I assume this one would just be black hole creation? Especially since it can apparently be frozen (Granted, not by the MC even if he has ice manip) They stated to be Black-Holes, fyi.

I have recently got a better understanding about perception and reaction speeds for characters and projectiles and how to calculate simultaneous attacks, This question is about finding the velocity from frequency.

The reason for this is when trying to do a high-low end with distance which gets weird results.

I want to ask for those capable, do you measure distance from the point of view of the character, or from the point of view of the incoming attack?

For finding volume from frequency, you would need to multiply the distance in meters from frequency which is rotations per minute to get velocity which is meters per minute.

which there is a document about it as well:

Can anyone help with this?

And the last one: The boss makes these black-hole looking things. I assume this one would just be black hole creation? Especially since it can apparently be frozen (Granted, not by the MC even if he has ice manip) They stated to be Black-Holes, fyi.
Bumpo

It looks like he's reacting to the arrow yeah. Mind you it'd give relatively low results since he barely moved the shield

Bump

question about comprehensive destruction value, if you do not see dust from significantly damaged areas of a large high rise building like say fragmentation or violent fragmentation, would you consider it being just steel and not concrete?

Last edited:
Does Freezing an object, solidifying an object or holding an object in a solidifying substance such as concrete or cement removes momentum in an object?

Does Freezing an object, solidifying an object or holding an object in a solidifying substance such as concrete or cement removes momentum in an object?
The increased mass would lead to a loss in momentum due to conservation of energy, but it wouldn’t all be gone due to that.

How can this disaster be calculated?

Context: the peninsula was shattered in a disaster, caused by the cataclysmic eruption of a chain of volcanic mountains that ringed Valyria. Vast amounts of land fell into the sea, with the surviving remnants becoming islands separated by water.

How can this disaster be calculated?

Context: the peninsula was shattered in a disaster, caused by the cataclysmic eruption of a chain of volcanic mountains that ringed Valyria. Vast amounts of land fell into the sea, with the surviving remnants becoming islands separated by water.
You could compare it to the nearest comparable IRL distaster that had similar results.

I just saw a comment on one of the deathbattle forums, he said "If a character can destroy a Planet and the shattered Particles don't recombine, the formula is Planet Destruction Result + GBE Planet" is this correct?

I just saw a comment on one of the deathbattle forums, he said "If a character can destroy a Planet and the shattered Particles don't recombine, the formula is Planet Destruction Result + GBE Planet" is this correct?
No need for destruction values at that scale, just straight up go with GBE if the planet can no longer reform.

No need for destruction values at that scale, just straight up go with GBE if the planet can no longer reform.
Can you explain/elaborate why only use the GBE Formula, I want to have my own opinion/understanding about this, not just follow along without understanding the meaning/explanation

Can you explain/elaborate why only use the GBE Formula, I want to have my own opinion/understanding about this, not just follow along without understanding the meaning/explanation
Because it's effectively simpler to use as you're basically overpowering gravity from being able to reform the planet, whereas using destruction values you have to account for the liquid and molten iron being dissipated as well (And their dissipation speed), not only that you also have to assume the water itself being vaporized as a result of such an explosion. It'd be easier if it were something like the moon (Which is mostly rock) and assuming it hadn't completely escaped gravity's hold, but with Earth and other similar planets, this can get really tricky simply due to the material composition (Can't shatter something that's already molten), so GBE is used when we're absolutely certain that all of the Earth is blasted beyond being able to reform back into a ball due to gravity, thus at that point and scale it's basically counterintuitive to use the normal destruction values. And as you can see, we also don't use destruction values for gas giants or stars, gas giants as a whole have no solid surface in them and their destruction is determined by gravitational binding energy. Same with stars, like our Sun.

Also if you have an on-screen feat of planets being busted at high speeds with a proper timeframe, just use KE at that point.

Last edited:
Because it's effectively simpler to use as you're basically overpowering gravity from being able to reform the planet, whereas using destruction values you have to account for the liquid and molten iron being dissipated as well (And their dissipation speed), not only that you also have to assume the water itself being vaporized as a result of such an explosion. It'd be easier if it were something like the moon (Which is mostly rock) and assuming it hadn't completely escaped gravity's hold, but with Earth and other similar planets, this can get really tricky simply due to the material composition (Can't shatter something that's already molten), so GBE is used when we're absolutely certain that all of the Earth is blasted beyond being able to reform back into a ball due to gravity, thus at that point and scale it's basically counterintuitive to use the normal destruction values. And as you can see, we also don't use destruction values for gas giants or stars, gas giants as a whole have no solid surface in them and their destruction is determined by gravitational binding energy. Same with stars, like our Sun.
So combining Destruction Result & GBE to get this Feat result is wrong right? i guess he destroyed the planet = Destruction, and not reunited into one = GBE, and the solution is Destruction Value + GBE Value.

So combining Destruction Result & GBE to get this Feat result is wrong right?
More like there's no need to use destruction values in the first place at that scale (I'd argue it doesn't account for a lot of the other non-solid parts of the planet, like the mantle and the outer core and the oceans and their dispersion speed, if that makes sense), if the planet is blasted beyond any chance of reforming and coming back as a gravitationally bound body, GBE is more than enough.

i guess he destroyed the planet = Destruction, and not reunited into one = GBE, and the solution is Destruction Value + GBE Value.
Once again, read above. Destruction values at this scale becomes effectively unnecessary. If the planet can no longer come back and reform, the solution is to just use GBE.

More like there's no need to use destruction values in the first place at that scale (I'd argue it doesn't account for a lot of the other non-solid parts of the planet, like the mantle and the outer core and the oceans and their dispersion speed, if that makes sense), if the planet is blasted beyond any chance of reforming and coming back as a gravitationally bound body, GBE is more than enough.

Once again, read above. Destruction values at this scale becomes effectively unnecessary. If the planet can no longer come back and reform, the solution is to just use GBE.
Ok I get it, thanks for the response

I've seen in one thread @KLOL506 it said "J/Cc used for Fragmentation comes from MPa units" something like that, what I want to ask is how the Staff/Calc Group here converts MPa to J/Cc? I'd like a fairly clear answer (like the formula for converting MPa to J/Cc, or maybe there's a note to remember for converting MPa to J/Ccc, something like that), because I'm interested in calculations, and I hope I can also be a Calc Group in here

Basically:
Shear Strength (MPa) = Fragmentation (J/cc)
Compressive Strength (MPa) = Pulverization (J/cc)

I've seen in one thread @KLOL506 it said "J/Cc used for Fragmentation comes from MPa units" something like that, what I want to ask is how the Staff/Calc Group here converts MPa to J/Cc? I'd like a fairly clear answer (like the formula for converting MPa to J/Cc, or maybe there's a note to remember for converting MPa to J/Ccc, something like that), because I'm interested in calculations, and I hope I can also be a Calc Group in here
MPa and J/cc are practically the same units.

As for conversion, here's an example (Credits to Firestorm808 for showing the conversion method itself):

Low End Shear Strength of Concrete (Since we use shear strength for frag) as per our Destruction Values chart = 6 MPa = 6*10^6 N/m^2

1 Joule = 1 Newton * 1 Meter

1 Joule / 1 Meter = 1 Newton

6*10^6 Newtons = 6*10^6 J / Meter

6*10^6 J / Meter / Meter^2 = 6*10^6 J / Meter^3 = 6 J/cm^3 = Fragmentation

In essence, 1 MPa is 1 J/cm^3.

MPa and J/cc are practically the same units.

As for conversion, here's an example (Credits to Firestorm808 for showing the conversion method itself):

Low End Shear Strength of Concrete (Since we use shear strength for frag) as per our Destruction Values chart = 6 MPa = 6*10^6 N/m^2

1 Joule = 1 Newton * 1 Meter

1 Joule / 1 Meter = 1 Newton

6*10^6 Newtons = 6*10^6 J / Meter

6*10^6 J / Meter / Meter^2 = 6*10^6 J / Meter^3 = 6 J/cm^3 = Fragmentation

In essence, 1 MPa is 1 J/cm^3.
I see, thanks to the Calc Group for responding

Back