• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Official Calculations Discussion Thread

I'm back yet again.

Just a question, In a novel I'm reading, it was stated that a palace made from Jade was demolished by an attack, but a set size for the palace wasn't given. Can I just assume the average palace size, or is this feat just unquantifiable?
I think the time the novel takes place in (the timeline), is necessary, if there is no set sizen given for the palace. Thus, one can use the lowest set sizes for palaces for the palace in the story. Although, I'm quite unsure about this. Please correct me if I am wrong, I'm just speaking from. little tad bits of what I have heard.

Well, I'm back yet again.

If a punch causes a sonic boom by zooming through the air, is that enough for Supersonic?

Here's the feat in question:

"Under the human calamity that was Tae Mu-Kang, the environment was quickly transformed into a wasteland. Sonic booms could be heard as his punches zoomed through the air."

Well, I'm back yet again.

If a punch causes a sonic boom by zooming through the air, is that enough for Supersonic?

Here's the feat in question:

"Under the human calamity that was Tae Mu-Kang, the environment was quickly transformed into a wasteland. Sonic booms could be heard as his punches zoomed through the air."
Maybe but it could also fall under something like vibration manipulation or air manipulation if the character is just making shockwaves from the punches. Though probably the former given the quote. I don't know if we scale punching speed to normal speed but maybe combat or attack speed.

Nice, thanks!

Another small question though, would parrying an attack with a sword qualify for LS stuff? Assuming the attacker is like Class K or smth.

what is the 'priority' that every calc evaluation has at the beginning of the evaluation and what am I meant to Write in that Place?.

look at the op of the evaluation thread, they explain it there. basically 1 is stuff that matters for an entire verse and 4 is basically for fun or a really small detail, with 2 and 3 being in between

I'm back yet again.

How do I calc this, exactly?

The width of that ship was calculated at like 19.5 meters, FYI. But I don't know how to calculate the whole water stuff.

I'm back yet again.

How do I calc this, exactly?

The width of that ship was calculated at like 19.5 meters, FYI. But I don't know how to calculate the whole water stuff.

Calculate the volume of that water column that shot up and get the mass of it from the volume (density of water is 1000 kg/meter^3), then calculate its gravitational potential energy by multiplying half of the water column's height, the water column's mass, and the gravitational acceleration (which would be 9.81 m/s^2)

The density of a column of water shot into the air by an impact would be way less than that of actual resting water, though.

yeah there isn't much you can do here unfortunately, maybe scale the column's width to the dude in the bottom panel but that is a massive lowball

Is Centripetal Force a valid method of getting Lifting Strength?

Let's say a character swings in a circle a wrecking ball that weighs 800 kg- obviously the weight of the wrecking ball itself already is Class 1 LS.

But swinging the wrecking ball at, say, 10 meters per second tangential to the circle, at a radius of 1 meter, will create a tension force on the cable (and the swinger's arms) that will be much higher than the force of gravity from just picking the wrecking ball up. Specifically it'll be-
  • F = (m * v^2) / r
  • (800 * 10^2) / 1 = 80000
80,000 Newtons of force, or Class 10.
Since the character's arms are capable of swinging the ball despite there being over eight tonnes of force on them, would it be okay to say that they have Class 10 Lifting Strength?

Wouldn't it be the Centrifugal Force that is acting against the arms? Since the Centrifugal Force acts outwards when an object is swinging, meaning the arms would have to overcome this outwards force else they'd be taken off by the moving object.

Wouldn't it be the Centrifugal Force that is acting against the arms? Since the Centrifugal Force acts outwards when an object is swinging, meaning the arms would have to overcome this outwards force else they'd be taken off by the moving object.
...Well, No but actually Yes.
While the standard Centrifugal force isn't a "real force" (it exists due to frame of reference), Reactive Centrifugal force (the equal and opposite force to Centripetal force, but Not The Same as the other Centrifugal force) does act against the arms.
The figure at right shows a ball in uniform circular motion held to its path by a string tied to an immovable post. In this system a centripetal force upon the ball provided by the string maintains the circular motion, and the reaction to it, which some refer to as the reactive centrifugal force, acts upon the string and the post.
The Reactive Centrifugal Force is gonna be the same magnitude as the Centripetal Force, just with the opposite direction

Is Centripetal Force a valid method of getting Lifting Strength?

Let's say a character swings in a circle a wrecking ball that weighs 800 kg- obviously the weight of the wrecking ball itself already is Class 1 LS.

But swinging the wrecking ball at, say, 10 meters per second tangential to the circle, at a radius of 1 meter, will create a tension force on the cable (and the swinger's arms) that will be much higher than the force of gravity from just picking the wrecking ball up. Specifically it'll be-
  • F = (m * v^2) / r
  • (800 * 10^2) / 1 = 80000
80,000 Newtons of force, or Class 10.
Since the character's arms are capable of swinging the ball despite there being over eight tonnes of force on them, would it be okay to say that they have Class 10 Lifting Strength?
So what's the verdict? Big brained folk plz I need answers

Ultimately, your arms are supplying centripetal force by pulling the object inward.
So, if "pulling" strength is considered the same as lifting strength then I see no reason it can't be used.

The forces involved on the body are similar to those in pulling something really heavy along the ground.
How are those kind of feats handled?

Ultimately, your arms are supplying centripetal force by pulling the object inward.
So, if "pulling" strength is considered the same as lifting strength then I see no reason it can't be used.

The forces involved on the body are similar to those in pulling something really heavy along the ground.
How are those kind of feats handled?
Yeah pulling heavy stuff can be used for Lifting Strength, you just have to multiply the Coefficient of Friction by the mass of the object to get the force for dragging it against a surface instead of lifting it off the ground.

So if it's similar then they should be good right? I wanna see what a Calc Group Member says

I think that's just to show he's seen it
Well, the only other calc member to comment didn't object to the premise, and just (incorrectly) argued semantics.
If the wiki uses pulling feats for LS, then centripetal force is practically identical from the arm's perspective.

Bump.
Also gonna put in this tidbit-
The World Record Men's Hammer Throw was thrown at a speed of 30.7 m/s, the hammer weighs 7.26 kg, and the chain is 1.213 meters long. However, as the hammer speeds up the thrower's entire body is spinning, so the radius will also include the thrower's arms. Average person's arm is about 64 cm long (Source: Google it), meaning-
  • (7.26 * 30.7^2) / (1.213 + 0.64) = 3692.648354 Newtons
  • 3692.648354 / 9.806 m/s2 = 376.5702992
The Hammer Throw World Record required ~376.57 kg of force, which is Peak Human level, so I'd say that it's consistent with reality.

Last edited:
I'm back yet again!

Judy a question, but what would shaking an entire mountain yeild?

Heres the feat:

"The roar of the giant dragon shook the earth and swayed the mountain, making the whole peak tremble."

I'm back yet again!

Judy a question, but what would shaking an entire mountain yeild?

Heres the feat:

"The roar of the giant dragon shook the earth and swayed the mountain, making the whole peak tremble."
Depends on mountain size

We aren't given a size for the mountain. All we know is that this happened in China. I assume we can't just assume average mountain size?

Back