• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Official Calculations Discussion Thread

If a character blows up an ambulance, would it be good to use the destroy a car calculation from the reference page as a low ball or do I have to do a calc? (I'm lazy mode)

What is the AP needed to tilt the Earth's rotational axis?
i imagine there's more info needed
how much was it tilted by, any idea of a timeframe
the first way i can imagine doing it is calculating the rotational KE of it tilting on its axis but i cant say how accurate that would be

i imagine there's more info needed
how much was it tilted by, any idea of a timeframe
the first way i can imagine doing it is calculating the rotational KE of it tilting on its axis but i cant say how accurate that would be
I'll just quote the wikipedia article of the Second Impact:

The Katsuragi Expedition​

Billions of years later in Antarctica, a group of human scientists led by Dr. Katsuragi discovered the White Moon, Adam, and its Lance of Longinus. Dr. Katsuragi had theories about Super Solenoid engines that were, at the time, considered unserious and outlandish. Also part of the expedition was Gendo Ikari, and Dr. Katsuragi's teenaged daughter Misato.

The Katsuragi expedition was actually backed by a shadow organization known as SEELE, which had secretly dominated the governments of Earth for a millennium.

After excavating Adam, the Katsuragi Expedition planned a contact experiment that would merge human DNA with Adam. Gendo departed from Antarctica just before the experiment began.

The attempted merger reawakened Adam with cataclysmic results. The Anti-A.T. Field generated by the reanimated Seed of Life caused a massive explosion that eradicated all life in Antarctica. The scientists used the Lance of Longinus to subdue Adam and revert it to an embryonic state, but it was too late. The damage was done. The explosion shifted the axis of the Earth's rotation and melted the Antarctic ice caps. Before his death, Dr. Katsuragi placed his daughter Misato in an escape capsule. She was the sole survivor of the Katsuragi expedition.

Second Impact and its Aftermath​

The melting of the Antarctic ice caps caused tsunamis and a rise in sea levels, immediately killing more than two billion people in the Southern Hemisphere. While spared the immediate destruction experienced in the Southern Hemisphere, the nations of the Northern Hemisphere also suffered severe damage. Two days after Second Impact, on September 15, skirmishes between refugees led to a conflict between India and Pakistan that included a nuclear exchange between the two nations. On September 20, an N-bomb was dropped on Tokyo, killing 500,000 people. Fighting raged across the planet until the Valentine Cease-Fire treaty was signed on February 14, 2001. By the time the peace treaty was signed, half of the Earth's human population had been wiped out. Many coastal regions and islands were completely submerged by the rising oceans.

The disaster also had massive environmental and geopolitical effects. After decades of prosperity, the nations of Earth suddenly faced intense resource scarcity and massive refugee migrations. The immense changes wrought by the Second Impact led to the expansion of powers held by the United Nations. While many existing nation states—such as the United States, Japan, China, and Germany—continued to exist, the U.N. exercised a much larger role in the daily lives of human beings. The militaries of most of the planet's major nations were brought under the authority of the United Nations including the Japanese Strategic Self Defense Force. Unbeknownst to most of humanity, the United Nations became firmly under the control of SEELE.

In the aftermath of Second Impact and the resulting wars, the Japanese government abandoned any hope of restoring old Tokyo. Instead, the Japanese capital was moved to Matsumoto City in Nagano Prefecture, which was renamed "Tokyo-2." Construction of the new capital began in 2001 and by 2003, Tokyo-2 was functioning as the center of Japanese governance.

Even after the wars, the environmental effects of Second Impact remained. The shift in the Earth's rotational axis changed the way seasons experienced across the globe. In Japan, fall and winter disappeared, as the country was fixed in a perpetual state of summer. The singing of cicadas, long a hallmark of Japanese summers, became a year-long fixture.

So Diamond only has Pulverization and Atomization. Anyone know what the fragmentation would be?

The best I can find is an old thread saying over 1200 J/cc, the supporting linked site having that Young's modulus (in Gpa), and a similar properties site saying the minimum in Young's modulus is 1050 to a maximum of 1210 (also in Gpa).
Frag wouldn't work on stuff like diamond, it doesn't follow the same principles of frag like other materials, this is a peculiar issue with gems like diamond in general. Which is why diamond frag was rejected.

Also, we do not use Young's Modulus for our destruction values.

Frag wouldn't work on stuff like diamond, it doesn't follow the same principles of frag like other materials, this is a peculiar issue with gems like diamond in general. Which is why diamond frag was rejected.

Also, we do not use Young's Modulus for our destruction values.
Alright then. What should I do in the case of diamond not being pulverized, but cracking and fragmenting? I don't know if pulv is fair, but without a frag value for the reasons mentioned am I to just use the pulv value?

Alright then. What should I do in the case of diamond not being pulverized, but cracking and fragmenting? I don't know if pulv is fair, but without a frag value for the reasons mentioned am I to just use the pulv value?
No, pulv. value is only for when it is turned to dust.

In lack of better options, frag feats involving diamond are effectively unusable. Since they pretty much have poor capability to absorb energy and shatter like glass with a simple hammer blow due to its structure. However, its compressive strength (Pulv.) is astronomically high.

What would be a good way to calculate the LS for this feat?

x7wvfmw.jpg

Noob questions about the commonly used Angle Size Calculator:

When putting in just numbers, the result is fine, yet numbers + units of measurement seems to always return NaN for me. Is there certain formatting I need to use? What do I do with the value result I get from it too?

I'm doing a re-calculation that would require using ang scaling, and am also wondering how would I get distance knowing the size of an object in the background + how it appears from the point-of-view we would be viewing it from? The original simply uses the raw size of the object in the bg, but wouldn't I need to use the size at which it appears to figure out the amount of distance required for it to look significantly smaller than it's actual size?

Last edited:
Noob questions about the commonly used Angle Size Calculator:

When putting in just numbers, the result is fine, yet numbers + units of measurement seems to always return NaN for me. Is there certain formatting I need to use? What do I do with the value result I get from it too?
don't put in units of measurement
you're just supposed to know what those are, not put them in the boxes

don't put in units of measurement
you're just supposed to know what those are, not put them in the boxes
I realize the site means 'consistent' in that the values themselves must be of same units now.

It's worded weirdly. I thought it meant to put in units 'inches' or 'kilometers' rather than just assume them.

I'm doing a re-calculation that would require using ang scaling, and am also wondering how would I get distance knowing the size of an object in the background + how it appears from the point-of-view we would be viewing it from? The original simply uses the raw size of the object in the bg, but wouldn't I need to use the size at which it appears to figure out the amount of distance required for it to look significantly smaller than it's actual size?
This is the important part though.

I'm still assuming an object (mountain) in the background is 609 meters tall like in the original blog, but it appears to be only 1.48 meters tall from the scene's point of view, which is 10.21 meters tall.

This is the important part though.

I'm still assuming an object (mountain) in the background is 609 meters tall like in the original blog, but it appears to be only 1.48 meters tall from the scene's point of view, which is 10.21 meters tall.
You should just pixel scale the size of the mountain in frame then use the distance ang-size formula because it shouldn't be that low unless your inputting something wrong

You should just pixel scale the size of the mountain in frame then use the distance ang-size formula because it shouldn't be that low unless your inputting something wrong
Yeah like I said, from the pov we see it it's very small (when pixel scaled) due to distance. Only 157 pixels tall despite assumedly being an average mountain at 609 meters tall.
This is the formula
object size * panel height in pixels/[object height in pixels*2*tan(70deg/2)]
The original blog uses the formula, but doesn't distinguish what the values actually are, so the unedited distance formula is of huge help. Thank you!

I don't remember if this was asked here, so I apologize if I'm wrong.

But can it be calculated if a character creates a sphere that distorts space?

Calculate the cross sectional area of the chain link then multiply it by the Compressive strength of whatever material it is, be sure to convert to square meters though.

Alternatively you could just use averages found online for chain breaking points such as this chart
Multiply that by the number of chains holding this sword down
Compressive strength? If the chains are being pulled/ripped apart, should tensile strength be used instead?

talking about compressive strength, someone know what is the mil spec steel Compressive strength?
i mean
steel is steel. i can't say with certainty but i don't think steel comes in military grade varieties. they would just use a type of steel suited to what they wanna do, you can probably use compressive strength for normal steel.

Have any charts for tensile strength?
So I actually did a blog recently on a guy twisting a metal door off the hinges, and boy howdy did I learn a lot about Torsion and Torque. Wikipedia was surprisingly helpful for a lot of the information: Most relevant from the research being that shear strength is estimated to be 60% of ultimate tensile strength. The ultimate tensile strength page has a large list of common materials and variants, especially steels, and the values in yield strength (Mpa), ultimate tensile strength(Mpa), and density (g/cm^3).

This stuff needs a section on the calculations page, or an entire page in the calculations instructions pages. It's pretty important for LS.

F = ma

m being mass and a being Acceleration.

Accleration = (Final Velocity - Initial Velocity)/Time Taken
can you also do this with just throwing shit, or more specifically, hitting something like a baseball swing
find change in velocity from pre-hit to post-hit, divide by time which is how long it was in contact with the bat?

can you also do this with just throwing shit,
Primarily used for throwing shit.

or more specifically, hitting something like a baseball swing

find change in velocity from pre-hit to post-hit, divide by time which is how long it was in contact with the bat?
No, that shit requires angular momentum, though from what I recall, you aren't allowed to calculate force from swinging massive objects like bats according to this.

However, this seems very vague at first glance. So I will ask @DontTalkDT for real this time.

@DontTalkDT Can you calculate force for swinging large objects like bats, like in this case? Ugarik used your reply to justify not doing so, but should that really be the case? Just asking.

No, that shit requires angular momentum, though from what I recall, you aren't allowed to calculate force from swinging massive objects like bats according to this.
no my question was if you bat an object like a baseball and redirect its momentum
the force being calculated is what's necessary to change the velocity of the baseball, the bat itself is frankly irrelevant

no my question was if you bat an object like a baseball and redirect its momentum
the force being calculated is what's necessary to change the velocity of the baseball, the bat itself is frankly irrelevant
Oh. Then IDK.

Back