• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Odd Eldritch: Mind Flayer VS. Noth

Well. According to you, equalization makes it so Mind Flayer has enough Gnosis- and can interact with Noth.

Noth:

+ Existential damage is scary as hell

+ Immune to status effects?

+ High-Mid Regen makes physical incap unlikely

+ Absorption?

Mind Flayer:

+ Instant mindhax stuns enemies for some time

+ Range advantage, since most of Noth's abilities are Melee

+ Reducing stats is viable and can be done from range

+ Forcefieldz boye

Verdict:

Mind Flayer takes this for me. If Gnosis is equalized and MF is assumed to have a lot of it, then MF bypasses most of their best abilities. Mind Flayer instant mind haxes in-character and from there can do nearly anything.

High-Mid is the maximum regen once it absorb something of high existential energy/gnosis, is not something passive.

Its immunity comes from being alien to existance, they are not bound by its rules and their body is like a mass made of nothing. Game wise example, anytime there's a resistance check (poison, magic, phyquic, force, energy) they succeed and nothing happen to them.

They existential damage ignore any kind of armor (certain level of it), however, if they destory the target that would means they would be erased.

Ohhh

Okay. So basically they can't regen in this case. Alright.

They can't neither be mind/empathic/death-haxxed nor detected by something that isn't the eye, ear or touch (only in case the target has elevated gnosis), any other mystic way to detect them wouldn't work.

Why can't they be mind affected? If not then it isn't a huge deal, they have other ways of abusing range advantage.

Also... no offense, but yes it would. Verse equalization would make some forms work. It'd just have to prove that it can detect nonexistant beings.

They aren't immune due being nonexistent, is more complicated than that: From PWG: The Noth don't generate existential energy nor can their skills be detected by magical, Ki or psychic abilities. They can still be affected by such powers, although it is completely impossible to alter their will or mind. For all purposes, it is as if they simply did not exist.

Also from the same book: Absolute Immunity to Effects: Noth automatically ignore any Resistance check, regardless of its nature or origin. For all purposes, they count as if they had passed it. What does that imply? welp, for intance basically every animic, mystic, psyquic and gnostic power in Anima involve this, a Noth isn't affected by Baal's corruption, Ra-Me-Tek's death stare is useless, Dementia's madness aura is futile, not even Longinus can negate their powers (Not in the books, but according to extra official info Omega couldn't do much against a High Hierarchy Noth).

Ok, that do not means they are immune, they can be trapped by attacks, explosion, cutting and contundent damage affects them normally, people can still protect with forcefields (although with this one they can attack inside the shield using vortex), that kind of stuff.

The first one is find I guess, they just don't have a mind that exists. Fair enough.

Second one is almost completely NLF, though it would definitely be Invulnerability. They just resist up to the max tier of the verse. But okay.

So. let me reevaluate real quick. I shall be back.

Okay. So I'm looking at this, and the method of victory for MF is to abuse range advantage. Put simply, they do have attacks that could feasibly defeat Noth- namely, pitiful things like Magic Missiles. They also have abilities that may help otherwise (Ray of Enfeeblement, Greater Invisibility, etc). In character, however, they only really spam one (Greater Invisibility) and leave the others for rare usage.

So it seems to be... it is a hard case. On one hand, Mind Flayer can abuse range until it manages to take down Noth since Noth resists their go-to ability, Mind Hax, and isn't subject to a few of their more interesting abilities, such as implantation.

Noth, on the other hand, would be harming MF a lot more should it come down to a physical fight, due to existential damage.

So for now I'll vote Incon. I'm not sure which is more likely.

Remebernthat invisibility wouldn't work (I'm guessing Great Invisibility do that) since the Noth do not perceive the environment in the same way real creatures does, they only perceice stuff of elevated existencial energy/gnosis/presence; only way to hide is decreasing it existencial energy, but once did it wouldn't be able to interact with a Noth (the Noth wouldn't be able to interact with it neither).

But spaming its a valid point, but take into account that Noth teleport and cover distance.

Ah. Right.

Regardless, Greater Invis wasn't what made it Incon for me. Noth have a melee advantage, MF has range advantage. Both have great mobility (Noth via Teleport, MF via Plane Shift).

Dargoo what the actual **** happened to your face I'm so scared

Back