• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I think I know how to explain why the powers of both Mario and Sonic are all over the place. Both the Mario and Sonic series are less like single narrative stories and more like urban folk lore tales, with each tale telling a different perspective for a character. There could be several different video games, movies, TV shows and comic books featuring the same character running on the shelves at the same time, but none of those entries would tell that character's story in the same way.

It'll probably result in what happened last time: the power ups cancel out and Sonic wins through speed.

Back then, Death Battle chose a winner based on opinions and assumptions. While they'll almost definitely mention this, they'll likely go into more depth as to HOW they cancel each other and which powerups would reign supreme.

As for Sonic being given the speed advantage... Yeah, that's almost definite. While some of Mario's better feats that they haven't stated in the preview may be talked about later or in one of the side cards, the only speed feat they've given Mario so far is reacting while being electricity. They haven't mentioned Mario lifting the castle yet, and they likely won't mention the "outswimming a black hole" Mario Party game or Starship Mario. Hopefully they at least acknowledge Mario's giant strength and durability advantage.

I also have a feeling that Sonic will be limited in his arsenal as well. I don't think he'll have access to his Werehog form or Excalibur because they only appeared in one game and are outside the usual Sonic formula. If they throw them in, I'd be pleasantly surprised, but they probably would be countered even if they were. I think Darkspine may be thrown in, but that's also a stretch.

I have to agree. While they may consider it in the research not included in the episode, they probably won't mention the other forms to save time and animation.

I saw some clown on Deviantart downplay Sonic (yes, Modern Sonic, not Classic) to multi-city block in base and Super Sonic to continent level.

To be fair, their abilities pretty much do cancel out somehow or just aren't gonna be that effective.

Pretty sure that part of their analysis holds up today.

As for their stats? If all Sonic gets is speed, then I don't think he's gonna win in base. Remember Ryu vs Jin?

I do think that Sonic will win with Super if anything, cause otherwise, I don't see how they can bullshit a win for him.

inb4 they say Sonic has infinite durability for surviving being inside a black hole.

Genericstickman said:
Honestly I want Sonic to win only because the comments won't be "Take that you sonic fans go back and cry in a corner XDXD"
Honestly some may want Mario to win because they think the comments will not be like "Take that you Mario fans go back and cry in a corner XDXD"

I want Mario to win because Sonic fan boys get triggered easily, plus all the debunk videos people would make.

Cappy is haxxed, yes, but the Void, Indigo, and Violet Wisps coumter him pretty hard.

Plus, there is Sonic's willpower and mental resistance.

Mario will have to be carefull with when he utilizes Cappy

Will power and Mind resistance don't grant resistance to possession. Additionally, Mario's also dealt with Black Holes and Void users; the latter involves someone far more broken with Void manipulation than Sonic.

Yeah, but IIRC, Cappy can even bypass resistance to possession. Bowser resisted being possessed by ghosts in Super Mario RPG iirc, and Cappy can possess Bowser.

Then again, Sonic did get affected by the Ifrit who has passive mind hax, possession, and can bind a person's soul.

At the same time though Cappy is thrown as a projectile so it can be dodged.

Terry was allowed outside help from old Bruce Wayne was another example.

I guess it would depend on how strong the possession is. Dark gaia was able to possess a lot of people and sonic resisted it.

Isn't possession kind of like mind manipulation in the sense that we measure the strength of it based off how many people or beings it can control at once.

Possession is like a combination of mind and body manipulation, or where you basically place your soul inside a person's body to do it for example. Well, there are different examples of possession, but actually going inside them is generally stronger than just simply hypnotizing them.

Mind manipulation would also depend on what it can do.

I would say mind manipulation that can crush a person's mind but only affects one person at a time > mind manipulation that makes 100 people think they're in love with you.

I don't know if they will give sonic his colors power. Other than here I don't see to many people give them to him in versus fights.

Not all Goombas are stupid though; however, just because someone can mind control millions of insects doesn't quite mean they can control a human. Still, going inside someone's body is generally stronger than just hypnosis. Mario can also possess scientific geniuses. Still, intelligence alone =/= mind resistance, but Mario did possess Bowser who has legit demonstrated resisting possessions from ghosts.

Ben on Death Battle Cast mentioned both the Galaxy powerups and the Wisps as new powers to consider for the fight. As for Sonic's mind resistance, from what I remember from Unleashed, people possessed by Dark Gaia eventually released DG's minions, as shown during the scene where Amy is forced to dance with someone before the monsters formed and Sonic saved her. In a later scene, Eggman is shown gathering hundreds to thousands of these monsters for his purposes. If all of the minions came from possessed people, that means that Dark Gaia possessed at minimum the same number of people as Mario could possess Goombas. However, whether possessing one being entirely or thousands partially is stronger is up to debate.

Another point of Sonic's possession resistance, according to Chip (Light Gaia), the main reason Sonic didn't become a truly evil monster after absorbing a lot of Dark Gaia's energy was because of the "goodness in his heart." So whether his Wereform could fall under resisting Possession or Morality Manipulation could be debated because of that.

Bowser also has been possessed many times before though, granted, always while unconcious or off-screen, but still.

Sonic has had feats of mental resistance, but he's also had a time where he succumbed to it.

We cam call them both inconsistent and disregard it to save a headache

Cappy only possesses the Goomba on top,the rest only follow the tops lead & don't have Blue eyes/Mustaches. During the fight with Bowser if you throw Cappy at him while his hat is off, Cappy says "it's not working".Bowser had to get KO'ed before he could get captured.

Don't see how that helps.

Cappy can also possess a human, and him amd Mario in Bowser's body with Peach attached could also possess an electrical outlet thing-y and then travel across the Moon at high speeds.

Peach was wearing Tiara, Cappy's sister, at the time, so that could have possibly allowed her to possess the electric outlet, as Tiara should have similar powers to Cappy

Back